Did at one time Pete Peeters Assault a Hockey Writer ?

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
Does anybody remember this story? I can't find any references to it on the web.

As I recall, it happened while he was with the Flyers in the early 80s. I remember for sure Stan Fischler wrote about it, and, I *think* (but I'm not too sure) that it was Fischler who was the victim of Peeters' assault.

To my memory, the story was as follows:

Fischler wrote a column criticizing netminder Peeters' performance, refering to the light bulb always going off when he was in net. (Perhaps Peeters was dubbed "Light Bulb" by Fischler?) Peeters always had a reputation for being ill-tempered with some major attitude problems. While I remember him playing brilliantly at times, he was also inconsistent, and prone to mouthing off, slashing guys, and getting booted from games.

Anyway... Peeters bumped into (or lured?) Fischler into a room at the arena, where he and another person(s) (players? friends? club employees?) held Fischler down on a table, ripped down his pants, and, as Fischler described, "sodomized" him with a light bulb.

Can anyone clarify the details of this story? I'm curious because my memory is vague, and I'm pretty sure Fischler devoted an entire chapter in one of his books to this incident. Was it Fischler who was assaulted? Was Peeters with the Flyers at the time? Were there legal repercussions? Did this play into the Flyers trading him? Who were the other parties involved in the assault?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

As I recall, it happened while he was with the Flyers in the early 80s. I remember for sure Stan Fischler wrote about it, and, I *think* (but I'm not too sure) that it was Fischler who was the victim of Peeters' assault.

Fischler wrote a column criticizing netminder Peeters' performance, refering to the light bulb always going off when he was in net. (Perhaps Peeters was dubbed "Light Bulb" by Fischler?) Peeters always had a reputation for being ill-tempered with some major attitude problems. While I remember him playing brilliantly at times, he was also inconsistent, and prone to mouthing off, slashing guys, and getting booted from games.

Anyway... Peeters bumped into (or lured?) Fischler into a room at the arena, where he and another person(s) (players? friends? club employees?) held Fischler down on a table, ripped down his pants, and, as Fischler described, "sodomized" him with a light bulb.

Can anyone clarify the details of this story? I'm curious because my memory is vague, and I'm pretty sure Fischler devoted an entire chapter in one of his books to this incident. Was it Fischler who was assaulted? Was Peeters with the Flyers at the time? Were there legal repercussions? Did this play into the Flyers trading him? Who were the other parties involved in the assault?

My long time friend in Philly told me about this waaaay back when it happened (maybe when Peters started playing for the Caps)....I dont have anything to add other than I too have heard about this, and heard essentially exactly what you wrote

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
And here I was thinking that nothing could top Thurman Munson hocking a big loogie right on Maury Allen's forehead. Wow.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
And here I was thinking that nothing could top Thurman Munson hocking a big loogie right on Maury Allen's forehead. Wow.

....or Roger Clemens hitting Ron Borges off the head with a bagel or Will McDonough actually flattening Raymond Clayborn in the Patriots locker room or Zeke Mowatt (Patriot lineman) who shook his monster at Lisa Olson and asked her if she'd like to bite it in the Patriots locker room............

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Peeters did have a temper.

However, the fact that I've never heard this story (given my background, I probably should have) and that a Google search turns up nothing leads me to believe that this event never happened. Or at least was never written about.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The incident was written about in one of Stan Fischler's books from the 80s. I remember reading that chapter back then, unfortunately I don't remember the books title.

The victim of the alleged assault was Jay Greenberg, who has covered the Flyers for a long time. I think the book mentions that other players assisted Peeters, but no names are given.

Amazingly, there were no legal repercussions. Apparently Greenberg let it drop. Another NHL writer (I think Al Morganti) was quoted in the story as saying "If they had done that to me, I'd own that team after my lawyer was finished."

Keep in mind, these details are from memory of something I read 20 years ago, and might not be totally accurate.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Now that shows up on a Google search. But I can't find anything better than forum topic boards - if anyone has a better source (better yet, Fischler's book excerpt), that would be preferable.

Of course, I had to quit using Fischler's books as a source for my trivia games due to their variety of historical errors, so who knows about that even?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

I don't recall any mention of the incident in Jay Greenberg's book "Full Spectrum" but I do remember his name being attached to something abject around that time. The only mention on Peeters' draft central page is this:

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1977/77135.html

Had run-in with Philadelphia reporter during the 1981-82 season in which he was accused of physically abusing the reporter. The incident was a factor in his being traded the following summer. ...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I've seen and read a lot of disturbing things in my life. But the thought of Jay Greenberg being held down on a table, having his pants taken down and being "sodomized" with a light bulb is right up there with the worst.

Greenberg's a humour writer (some of his material is funnier than others) so Peeters probably shouldn't have taken it so seriously.

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
Now that shows up on a Google search. But I can't find anything better than forum topic boards - if anyone has a better source (better yet, Fischler's book excerpt), that would be preferable.

Of course, I had to quit using Fischler's books as a source for my trivia games due to their variety of historical errors, so who knows about that even?

Fischler's written so many books, and this happened oh so long ago, but I do distinctly recall a full chapter dedicated to the subject, titled something like "the goalie and the light bulb." Sometime in the mid-80s I owned and read this book, and if I recall correctly, it was a drugstore paperback with a cover photo of a referee with his hand raised, making a call.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
....or Roger Clemens hitting Ron Borges off the head with a bagel or Will McDonough actually flattening Raymond Clayborn in the Patriots locker room or Zeke Mowatt (Patriot lineman) who shook his monster at Lisa Olson and asked her if she'd like to bite it in the Patriots locker room............

....or Dave Kingman when he sent Sue Fornoff, a sportswriter, gift wrapped box with a live rat in it with a note tied to it saying "My name is Sue".....

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Fischler's written so many books, and this happened oh so long ago, but I do distinctly recall a full chapter dedicated to the subject, titled something like "the goalie and the light bulb." Sometime in the mid-80s I owned and read this book, and if I recall correctly, it was a drugstore paperback with a cover photo of a referee with his hand raised, making a call.

Your description of the cover did jog my memory.

This is the book.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003

Of course I meant non-Boston division. You guys are crazy.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I don't have anything to add to the topic at hand, but Pete Peeters NOT playing his junior hockey for the Peterborough Petes is a crime in itself. What was he thinking?:huh:

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
obviously peters has not been blacklisted by the nhl and its teams because he is currently the oilers goalie coach

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
It seems like everyone wanted to put the ugly, embarassing incident behind them. Peeters was traded, Greenberg didn't press charges or sue, Fischler's book went out of print... heck, if I hadn't brought it up, it may well have stayed buried. But now let's watch for the memetic spread on the internet. I'm sure if I remember this again a year or two from now I'll have no trouble with a Google search.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
As long as we are talking about harrassment of sports reporters...

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=3788

Great (if a little biased) article on harrassment directed upon female reporters by male athletes, some fairly high-profile.

But really, if I was in the major leagues I wouldn't like having the opposite sex entering my locker room while I'm naked having a god damn shower. I don't know any male reporters who come to try and score an interview with WNBA women while they're recovering after a game. Honestly, it would probably be considered a form of stalking by the general public.

I have no problem with women journalists and I certaintly don't condone some of the conduct that some athletes have committed but really, would you want the to be interviewed by a women while you haven't any clothes on?

Didn't think so.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I have no problem with women journalists and I certaintly don't condone some of the conduct that some athletes have committed but really, would you want the to be interviewed by a women while you haven't any clothes on?

Didn't think so.

Actually, I wouldn't care. I've been nude in front of plenty of nurses. Some of them even in a hospital.

But seriously, who cares? In the locker room they're not men or women, they're reporters.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Actually, I wouldn't care. I've been nude in front of plenty of nurses. Some of them even in a hospital.

But seriously, who cares? In the locker room they're not men or women, they're reporters.

Well I certaintly wouldn't feel comfortable. And comparing nurses and reporters is quite futile, nurses are required to see you in the buff, while reporters obviously don't need to. Perhaps waiting till after the athletes are done recovering from a game would be better.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

Heck ya! Now hand me my press pass and point me to the women's locker room! :sarcasm:

Well I certaintly wouldn't feel comfortable. And comparing nurses and reporters is quite futile, nurses are required to see you in the buff, while reporters obviously don't need to. Perhaps waiting till after the athletes are done recovering from a game would be better.

Or just ban ALL reporters from the locker room entirely and have the players who wants to talk come to an "interview" room. Seems a much more sensible idea.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
It seems like everyone wanted to put the ugly, embarassing incident behind them. Peeters was traded, Greenberg didn't press charges or sue, Fischler's book went out of print... heck, if I hadn't brought it up, it may well have stayed buried. But now let's watch for the memetic spread on the internet. I'm sure if I remember this again a year or two from now I'll have no trouble with a Google search.

I remember when Peters was traded to Boston, there was an article about this incident in the local papers. Peters seemed a bit surprised that the story came out. Times have certainly changed . . .

Besides the one article, I don't remember this incident ever coming up again in Peters' three-year tenure with the B's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad