Dexter seasons ranked

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Season 6 is the only one that had a twist which surprised me at the time (definitely didn't catch on to Colin Hanks being the real killer).

I agree that some of the kills got a little stupid, but I don't have a problem with the way they handled the more calculated ones in later seasons. We didn't need to re-hash his process and could just assume it worked the way it always worked. The entire thing was always implausible to begin with, so moving one step further never really bothered me.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Its been so long since I watched this that I don't remember it clearly. I do remember that they had it go on for way too long though.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Obviously seasons 1-4 were probably the best, quality wise. Although I wasn't a huge Trinity fan. Might also be because I don't like John Lithgow.
As most of us, I loathe season 8 and whenever I rewatch Dexter I never watch 8, only seen it once I think. Season 6 really sucked for me, too.

However, I have to say I really liked season 5 and 7 tbh. Loved the revenge plot and Lumen kinda helping Dexter get over Rita in S5. And loved the back and forth between Dexter and Hannah in S7 and I think Isaac Sirko may just be my favourite villain of the whole series. That scene near the end of the season with Isaac and Dexter in the gay bar was one of my favourite scenes out of any season.

tl;dr I only really hate S8 and S6 to a lesser extent, other than that I'm a bit more positive than most of you

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
7 episodes into season 8 and I definitely like it better than season 7 so far. To me season 7 is one gigantic incoherent cluster puck. As mentioned above the only thing redeeming about season 7 was Ray Stevenson's character.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Season 4
Season 2
Season 1

Those are my top 3. Trinity Killer was a great season, and for me, Doakes made the first 2 seasons that much better on top of the regular story lines.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Finally finished up season 8. Until the last episode I would have said that season 8 was definitely better than season 7. Season 7 was a convoluted mess. Season 8 was bad but made sense. However, the series finale ruined season 8 and kind of tarnished the series as whole.

I had read that Dexter's series finale was one of the worst in TV history and I was expecting that to be hyperbole like most things. About 2/3's of the way through the final episode I thought it was bad but not horrible. Everything that happened over the last 20 minutes or so was ridiculous and some of the worst TV you will ever see. Pretty much every decision they made was the wrong one, and the story lines were over the top and absurd. I won't give away any spoilers in case anyone who hasn't watched the show yet is interested. However, what happened in the police station and at the hospital was just downright absurd. There is suspension of disbelief and there is that. The very last cut we see was so pointless and out of place other than show that Dexter was still alive. VERY very disappointed with the finale even after having very low expectations.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Finally finished up season 8. Until the last episode I would have said that season 8 was definitely better than season 7. Season 7 was a convoluted mess. Season 8 was bad but made sense. However, the series finale ruined season 8 and kind of tarnished the series as whole.

I had read that Dexter's series finale was one of the worst in TV history and I was expecting that to be hyperbole like most things. About 2/3's of the way through the final episode I thought it was bad but not horrible. Everything that happened over the last 20 minutes or so was ridiculous and some of the worst TV you will ever see. Pretty much every decision they made was the wrong one, and the story lines were over the top and absurd. I won't give away any spoilers in case anyone who hasn't watched the show yet is interested. However, what happened in the police station and at the hospital was just downright absurd. There is suspension of disbelief and there is that. The very last cut we see was so pointless and out of place other than show that Dexter was still alive. VERY very disappointed with the finale even after having very low expectations.

The showrunner that left the show after season 4 said the ending he had in mind before he left was that in the final scene the camera would pull back and it was Dexter on the execution chair getting lethal injection, that the entire show was dexters life flashing before his eyes

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The showrunner that left the show after season 4 said the ending he had in mind before he left was that in the final scene the camera would pull back and it was Dexter on the execution chair getting lethal injection, that the entire show was dexters life flashing before his eyes
That would have been pretty cool.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

That would have been good but i thought the way the season initially ended was great too. Wife dead in the bathtub and their baby soaked in blood, pretty much a circle of life type situation and went great with Dexter essentially getting a massive *****slap from Karma for all the people he killed. Eventually you stumble on the wrong one and the people you care about are the ones who pay for it.

Season 4 def felt like that was supposed to be the end.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That would have been good but i thought the way the season initially ended was great too. Wife dead in the bathtub and their baby soaked in blood, pretty much a circle of life type situation and went great with Dexter essentially getting a massive *****slap from Karma for all the people he killed. Eventually you stumble on the wrong one and the people you care about are the ones who pay for it.

The Season 4 finale would have been the PERFECT ending to the series.

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

No not the season, the series

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I still liked season 5 but after that started to tune off a bit. The ending was definitely a face plant which kind of makes a rewatch feel like a struggle for the later seasons. I have seasons 1-6 on DVD/Bly-Ray but probably won't bother with the rest.

Most people say season 4 is the best, but for me it's pretty much a tie with 1, 2 & 4. I thought Doakes was a hilarious character and the show kind of lost some of its charm after he was killed. Season 4 is almost too creepy at times (Lithgow was fantastic), and the ending is one of the biggest gut punches I've felt with a tv show.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad