Dexter seasons ranked

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I'm actually in the midst of finishing up binge watching the entire series. It's the first time I ever watched it. I am almost done with season 7 and loosing interest in the show other than to see how it ends. Of course I ready read that season 8 is pretty dreadful.

Anyway, I read a couple of articles ranking the seasons and I have to say my own opinions are a bit different than the majority. Just curious what people's thoughts are on the show, each individual season, and how they rank them.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ANY MAJOR SPOILERS ON SEASON 8 OR HOW THE SERIES ENDS SINCE I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.

Best to worst:

Season 4
I feel like the show reached it's peak with season four. John Lithgow was great and the entire trinity story line was perfectly done. I liked how Dexter finally had what I would consider a legitimate adversary. I also liked the character development here as he tried to acclimate his life style with being a family man, and how he tried to learn from Trinity. Ultimately it cost him which I didn't see coming and the shocking ending made a great season even better.

Season 5
This is where I differ from most people. I thought this was a great season. I loved Julia Styles and her character. I loved how Dexter tried to atone for Rita's death by helping Lumen. I also thought Jonny Lee Miller was really good as the villain. I do think the ending could have been a little bit better. I think maybe there maybe could have been a little bit more back story on Jordan Chase and his friends and why they did what they did. I also think that Lumen should have left the show but how they did it was kind of rushed. Overall though I though this was a great season.

Season 1
I might have season one at the top of the list but I feel like it got off to a bit of a slow start. It's understandable since it was a new show but that's why I have it third. The second half of the first season was probably the best few episodes of the series. The ice truck killer's fate and Dexter's back story coming to light was great stuff.

Season 6
Most people seemed to have hated this season but I thought it was pretty good. I loved the religious aspects of this season. I though Mos Def was brother Sam was great. I also thought Colin Hanks did a good job as the psychotic religious killer. Deb catching Dexter in the act at the end of season 6 also elevated it to me as it was time for that to happen. Honestly, I just don't get the hate for this season.

Season 2
Here is another place where I differ from others. I feel like this season is way overrated. First of all, the entire story line between Dexter and Lila was boring and her character was obnoxious. I also thought the Doakes character was lame and the dude playing him was a bad actor. Just way too much of him in this season. There was some good things about the season though. Keith Carradine's character was great and the FBI getting involved to find the bay harbor butcher was a great story line. There was just too much I didn't like about this season though.

Season 3
To me this belongs in a tier with season 7 (and possibly season 8) because it was pretty bad. Jimmy Smits is a really good character but his character was terrible. I also could never get behind the idea of Dexter trusting this guy enough to take him on as a partner, or for the ADA of Miami to be involved in serial killing.

Season 7
I have a few episodes to go with this season and I have to say that I am pretty bored with it. It's almost too bland to even call bad. It's kind of just the definition of meh.

Overall I think this is a great show. Michael C Hall is a guy I thought was really good as a gay guy six feet under, and was even better taking on a completely different character. The combination of his acting and the character itself make this show great even when the story lines/seasons aren't as good as others.

Curious to hear others' thoughts.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
After Season 4, Dexter jumped the shark.

After Season 5, things went to hell in what was one of the great fall offs in TV history.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Season 1
Season 2
Season 4
Season 3

The rest aren't really worth watching imo.

Yep. Just stop after the Trinity Killer. In fact, based on just those first 4 seasons, the show is legendary.

I like to think of it as Gretzky's Oilers years....and then everything after.

Reactions: Supermassive

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Part of what killed the series :

In the early seasons, Dexter put so much time and effort into planning his kills - and that was part of the fun. In the later seasons, he'd kill without a 2nd thought. In a world where you can't scratch your butt without someone catching it on camera, the whole thing became absurd.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The writers definitely got lazy with how Dexter started doing things.
Yes...

If I recall correctly, and it has been a while so forgive me if I misremember, when Dexter killed someone on the beach when there was a party 200 yards away, I thru up my hands in disgust.

If you killed someone on the beach, I guarantee a minimum of 5 people would have it on video / surveillance camera. In seasons 6 thru 8, Dexter killed people on a regular basis in high risk situations and NO ONE noticed.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They should have just ended the series after Season 4. Would have been such a fitting ending to the series. The wheel keeps turning.
Yes. Perfect ending. It would have also ended on a high note.

Instead, sadly, the show was tarnished because they didn't know when to say when.

Last edited:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Yep. Just stop after the Trinity Killer. In fact, based on just those first 4 seasons, the show is legendary.

I like to think of it as Gretzky's Oilers years....and then everything after.

Yeah, I binged the whole thing like 4 years ago and wish I had stopped at 4 but I just wanted to see how it all ended, Yeesh...

Reactions: ORRFForever

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yes...

If I recall correctly, and it has been a while so forgive me if I misremember, when Dexter killed someone on the beach when there was a party 200 yards away, I thru up my hands in disgust.

If you killed someone on the beach, I guarantee a minimum of 5 people would have it on video / surveillance camera. In seasons 6 thru 8, Dexter killed people on a regular basis in high risk situations and NO ONE noticed.
I think it started in the beginning of season 5 when he followed the redneck into that gas station bathroom and killed him. No gloves on, no plastic, blood everywhere. All done in broad daylight.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think it started in the beginning of season 5 when he followed the redneck into that gas station bathroom and killed him. No gloves on, no plastic, blood everywhere. All done in broad daylight.
Yeah.

I read the actors complained about the silliness but they were told the writers knew what they were doing. They didn't.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah.

I read the actors complained about the silliness but they were told the writers knew what they were doing. They didn't.
Very interesting, thanks for the tidbit. I definitely don't think the actors packed it in unless they did in season 8. Still have to watch that season before I am done. Season 7 was impossible to get into. It literally jumped quickly from one boring story line to another without ever really committing to anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad