Devs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Quite interesting so far.

Also, a non-important question for episode one:

When the boyfriend threw up in the toilet and flushed... where did it go? Aren't they in a floating cube? I wonder what the plumbing is like for that thing...

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
And perhaps I looked away or wasn't paying much attention, but at the end of episode two in the parking garage...

How did that guy lose the fight?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Alex Garland is a phenomenal sci-fi auteur, can’t wait to see the rest of this. We only got episode 1 in Canada this week, so I’ll be a week behind the US viewers unfortunately.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just finished episode three. Very intriguing show. Not a big fan of the lead actress but am enjoying the journey. Will be interested to see how it ends up.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
And perhaps I looked away or wasn't paying much attention, but at the end of episode two in the parking garage...

How did that guy lose the fight?

I have only seen through episode three but they mentioned using the "device" to see both past/future so it makes me wonder if someone manipulated events in order for Anton to "lose." Kenton seemed as surprised as anyone he didn't end up with the short end of the stick.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Shaping up to be a crazy series finale. It's been one of the best sci-fi shows I've seen in a long time (still need to check out the Expanse, though), but I really enjoy Garland's style. I thought the writing was a bit weaker in the last 2 episodes, but this most recent one was pretty action packed and next episode looks nuts. It's better than most sci-fi shows in that it actually makes sense and ties up loose ends so far.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Shaping up to be a crazy series finale. It's been one of the best sci-fi shows I've seen in a long time (still need to check out the Expanse, though), but I really enjoy Garland's style. I thought the writing was a bit weaker in the last 2 episodes, but this most recent one was pretty action packed and next episode looks nuts. It's better than most sci-fi shows in that it actually makes sense and ties up loose ends so far.

I've enjoyed it as well. It's a single season series-correct? I think that helps with tying up loose ends. I wish most shows were close-ended that way.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've enjoyed it as well. It's a single season series-correct? I think that helps with tying up loose ends. I wish most shows were close-minded that way.

Yeah, it's a one season miniseries like Band of Brothers or The Night Of. The format is perfect for a focussed and planned out sci-fi show.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just watched the finale....and I don't know. Thought provoking in a similar fashion as the Lost finale. Will have to sleep on this one.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I've enjoyed it as well. It's a single season series-correct? I think that helps with tying up loose ends. I wish most shows were close-ended that way.

It is a miniseries, and apparently Alex Garland has expressed interest in doing another unrelated miniseries with some of these same actors.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Excellent show. Mentally and emotionally engaging. The lead actress is a bit rough -- she just can't carry the weight -- but that would be my only criticism.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Interesting finale. I still would have liked more closure with a lot of the characters, but it was a good way to end it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What does the lead character have to do to carry the weight?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Finished the series. Shits all over Westworld as far as I'm concerned

Westworld has become a plot-driven mess of a show with nothing to say. It's a shame, because I was really in on it in S1, but everything that happens now feels so...pointless.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Just finished it.

It's good, definitely worth watching. Sort of a languid, hypnotic pace to it.

I'm not a fan of the ending. I thought it blew past the logical conclusion and stumbled on for too long after that.

It would make sense that they got the go-ahead to set up a S2 and did a hurried re-write of the end to accommodate it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The acting in Westworld is hammed up x10000 (blaming the writers) when you compare it to Devs lol

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Just finished it.

It's good, definitely worth watching. Sort of a languid, hypnotic pace to it.

I'm not a fan of the ending. I thought it blew past the logical conclusion and stumbled on for too long after that.

It would make sense that they got the go-ahead to set up a S2 and did a hurried re-write of the end to accommodate it.
Its a 1 off season and the ending accomplish exactly what he premise of Devs as from he jump.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Its a 1 off season and the ending accomplish exactly what he premise of Devs as from he jump.

I don't see the ending as presented that way at all.

The logical conclusion of the material would be that a single instance of free will would break the chain of determinism and ripple though the universe, in essence ending determinism's inevitability and creating the seed of free will.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't see the ending as presented that way at all.

The logical conclusion of the material would be that a single instance of free will would break the chain of determinism and ripple though the universe, in essence ending determinism's inevitability and creating the seed of free will.

Except that it was made clear by the kid and by Katie that determinism was wrong in the first place. You can’t have a multiverse if determinism is right.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I really want to see this but don't have Hulu. Garland is the modern-day king of sci-fi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad