Value of: Devon Levi

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Small goalies can be good in junior where shooters aren't as good and there isn't as much screening of the goalies.

Levi was great in this tournament but he's on the small side. No goalie under 6'1" was a regular starter last season. He's not way under that, but the odds are definitely against him.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Will be interesting to see how Levi's progression goes. With no net available in Florida for at least 3-4 years, it will be interesting to see how Knight and Levi handle it.
Back up and slow development: I think Levi makes it interesting whether or not Knight signs this year or next! I do think Levi is 5-6 years out if all works out which makes him a backup option for Knight

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Back up and slow development: I think Levi makes it interesting whether or not Knight signs this year or next! I do think Levi is 5-6 years out if all works out which makes him a backup option for Knight
He'll be at Northeastern for at least 3 years...and if he wants to get his degree he can always opt out of any contract with Florida and go Free Agent.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He'll be at Northeastern for at least 3 years...and if he wants to get his degree he can always opt out of any contract with Florida and go Free Agent.
Sure; I somehow doubts he opts out though given how supportive the goaltending excellence initiative has been. If we get that sense, trade him thouhh

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Small goalies can be good in junior where shooters aren't as good and there isn't as much screening of the goalies.

Levi was great in this tournament but he's on the small side. No goalie under 6'1" was a regular starter last season. He's not way under that, but the odds are definitely against him.

Bernier is 6'0 and started 41 games last year
Raanta is 6'0 and led ARZ is starts
Saros is 5'11 and had 1 less start than Rinne and was their starter in the playoffs

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
More to Florida than other teams.

I doubt that. There's teams like Chicago with no goaltending depth at all that would likely value him more than Florida who has already committed 10 million long term to Bob and also have Spencer Knight, the far superior of the two Florida goalie prospects.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That’s what I think is interesting: the probability of a second round pick playing 200 games is less than 20 percent in aggregate and 25 percent for a goalie (https://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf); these picks are exceptionally risk and really just tail risk shots.

I do think a great performance implies that he has some great characteristics that we might not have seen without it; heck I’d say he was probably the best player on Team Canada today

that’s completely fair: you don’t think the predictive value is high for a goalie. How would today’s performance influence you?

That's not fair at all, a sample of 7 games is not sound for predictive value :) He was solid in the final's game, definitely a surprise seeing he doesn't come from the regular CHL leagues that most of these Canadian players come from.

Does it move the needle for me giving more than insignificant assets to acquire him? Not really, most teams probably have such a goalie prospect in their system anyways. And at 6 feet tall, he's on the smaller side for NHL starters, so it doesn't help his case imo. His first full season of NCAA will be much more telling when added to those 7 games....

But maybe you've followed him since his Lac Saint Louis days and know him much better than me who';s going from a handful games and stats-watching :)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wings can't go above Seider, Raymond and a unprotected 1st, so that is probably max I would offer.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Wings can't go above Seider, Raymond and a unprotected 1st, so that is probably max I would offer.
Unfortunately Florida is now only accepting Finnish prospects if we receive a European player...need to continue capturing that market (Lions are like less cool Panthers right?) :popcorn:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Unfortunately Florida is now only accepting Finnish prospects if we receive a European player...need to continue capturing that market (Lions are like less cool Panthers right?) :popcorn:

Hands off the Finnish prospects... the Leafs want them all, they seem to be doing well for us. I'd gladly propose our Russian prospects Amirov and Ovchinnikov for Lundell and Puutio.. the Leafs could then draft Helenius and Piiroinen.

I mean, we'd have a full lineup of Finns...

Hirvonen Lundell Miettinen
Kossila Helenius xxx
Lehtonen Niemala
Loponen Kokkonen
Puutio Kivihalme
Piiroinen

What's not to like about that?? The Toronto Maple Leafinens.

Might need Kapanen back for that open RW spot... Or trade for a 2022 1st rounder, and magically end up with a lottery pick and Lambert?

Ok, this joke is Finnished.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As others have said...playing well in juniors is not an nhl career.
Sure if there is a position you can get a great player with a 5th or later it’s in goalies.

have him play in the A a couple of seasons first.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Bernier is 6'0 and started 41 games last year
Raanta is 6'0 and led ARZ is starts
Saros is 5'11 and had 1 less start than Rinne and was their starter in the playoffs
Damn, I got that stat from an article I found by searching "shortest nhl goalie".

Still, I think it stacks the odds against him as the league is trending towards larger goalies. Then again, he's also a 7th round pick and a goalie, so the odds probably aren't that great to begin with.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Hands off the Finnish prospects... the Leafs want them all, they seem to be doing well for us. I'd gladly propose our Russian prospects Amirov and for Lundell and Puutio.. the Leafs could then draft Helenius and Piiroinen.

I mean, we'd have a full lineup of Finns...

Hirvonen Lundell Miettinen
Kossila Helenius xxx
Lehtonen Niemala
Loponen Kokkonen
Puutio Kivihalme
Piiroinen

What's not to like about that?? The Toronto Maple Leafinens.

Might need Kapanen back for that open RW spot... Or trade for a 2022 1st rounder, and magically end up with a lottery pick and Lambert?

Ok, this joke is Finnished.
Lol: Lundell is untouchable. Florida has your beat on Finns. Next season we likely have Barkov, Lundell, Luostarinen, Lammikko, Borgstrom and Saarela all in the top 13 forwards plus Nutivaara on D

I see no reason why we can’t be the Florida/Helsinki Panthers next seasons ;)

Edit: just for lols, Ovchinnikov’s draft pick was traded from Panthers to Leafs for the pick that became Puutio and a seventh that became...Levi

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Damn, I got that stat from an article I found by searching "shortest nhl goalie".

Still, I think it stacks the odds against him as the league is trending towards larger goalies. Then again, he's also a 7th round pick and a goalie, so the odds probably aren't that great to begin with.

Oh there is certainly not very many goalies under 6'1 in the NHL. Last year only 12 goalies saw game action that were under 6'1, the other 9 were...

Stalock
Francouz
Dell
Halak
Hutton
Dobby
Khudobin
Nedeljkovic
Dipietro

and the GOAT David Ayres

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He doesnt have much value. Florida should keep him. He played on a powerhouse Canada team but as a 7th rd pick he is still an extreme longshot to be an NHL tender. You go back a decade of Canada goalies and there are a few names like Hart, Blackwood, and Binnington and about 25 guys who didnt do anything at the NHL level

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

As a neutral fan, I think it is a definite overpayment. Levi had a good tournament but I think that Seider alone or Raymond alone would be enough for Florida to pull the trigger. Giving up both and adding a pick on top of that is a waste of assets.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad