Waived: Devin Setoguchi

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Personally I think Jones has been better than Seto this year, he is actually playing his more powerful style even if it isn't lighting up the lights at his top scoring pace. Jones also makes more sense in a top 6 RW role than Seto IMO, until we have more rookies we are comfortable playing there - it is interesting to see the Flames try so many LW and Center Rookies at RW to see who can make a push into that top 6 but we need Jones there until we figure out something that works without him.

Personally, I feel Jones has been our 2nd best RW this year behind Huds.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This morning Derek Wills kind of eluded to that he expected this to happen.

Jones is back in the lineup tonight, there have been what, 6 injuries to our regulars? Seto was struggling to stay in the lineup under those circumstances. Jones is back tonight and has to come off the IR, meaning a move had to be made. I don't think this had anything to do with Galiardi clearing. The Flames quite simply did not want to send down a young player because they have all been better than Seto.

This was the right move, and congrats to the Flames for doing it and sticking to their word. The young players have outplayed a vet and he was demoted because of it. While Seto wasn't bad, he produced zero offence and even his shot totals were dwindling. There are simply better options available.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Jones is back in the lineup tonight, there have been what, 6 injuries to our regulars? Seto was struggling to stay in the lineup under those circumstances. Jones is back tonight and has to come off the IR, meaning a move had to be made. I don't think this had anything to do with Galiardi clearing. The Flames quite simply did not want to send down a young player because they have all been better than Seto.

This was the right move, and congrats to the Flames for doing it and sticking to their word. The young players have outplayed a vet and he was demoted because of it. While Seto wasn't bad, he produced zero offence and even his shot totals were dwindling. There are simply better options available.

I agree, I think this move was made because Seto was outplayed by the youngsters. Nothing to do with Galiardi IMO.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Well, Knight has been sent back to the AHL with Jones coming off, because Seto being put on waivers doesn't clear his spot until tomorrow. I still think it could have been the Flames timing this.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well, Knight has been sent back to the AHL with Jones coming off, because Seto being put on waivers doesn't clear his spot until tomorrow. I still think it could have been the Flames timing this.

It is possible, they may of used that as a measuring stick to see what the market was like. But I think this was inevitable, some of our guys are getting closer to returning and pretty much every young player on our roster has been more impressive than Seto. I like the guys effort, but the results simply were not there. But you have a point, Knight could of just been sent down as he was, and maybe they did it today based on Galiardi. But I think he was getting waived no matter what.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

My thoughts as well.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Is he being waived to make roster room for a returning injured player or is he being waived to make room for a trade or is he beign waived for another reason?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is he being waived to make roster room for a returning injured player or is he being waived to make room for a trade or is he beign waived for another reason?
make room for a returning injured player

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
How was his effort level on a night to night basis this year?

Last year he would have 2-3 chances one game and then the next game he would be completely invisible.

He potted a few shootout winners for us last year which was a plus I guess.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Last year he would have 2-3 chances one game and then the next game he would be completely invisible.

Setoguchi's effort level was consistently high.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

The effort was there. He was a fine 13th/14th player who stepped in when our roster started to get injured. He was just beaten out of the roster spot by our prospects. He had a lot of opportunities to bury some chances, I still believe he is snake bitten. Hopefully he finds his game back in Adirondack.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
A lot of injuries going around the league right now seemed like a possible cheap short term replacement.

Sure, but every team has other options internally that would be equal to or an upgrade on someone like Setoguchi without picking up another contract.

Treliving admitted his biggest concern with our team going into the season was whether or not we could score goals. Setoguchi was not signed to be an energy player, he was brought in to provide some offence. It was a small risk, that could be easily fixed if it didn't work out, it didn't and he has been waived.

I have nothing against Setoguchi. When he was signed I didn't really care, and I don't care now that he was waived. I applaud him for changing his attitude, buying into our system and working hard, but this team will not blink with him not being on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad