Waived: Devin Setoguchi

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Can't say we didn't try! Got pushed out by our NHL ready rookies and that was always his risk in signing here for a show me contract.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
to those celebrating waived =/= gone. keep in mind Hagman and Kotalik were waived multiple times without being demoted.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
to those celebrating waived =/= gone. keep in mind Hagman and Kotalik were waived multiple times without being demoted.

This is probably being done as a reaction to Galiardi clearing. Flames want to be able to send him down if push comes to shove, but they don't want to lose him for depth reasons. With Galiardi clearing, they know it's safe at this moment, but might not be in a few days/weeks.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Never said we should of. Took long enough to get him off the team is all I was implying, had there not being injuries it would have been sooner I suspect.
this does not mean he is off the team though. guy s get waived and not sent down quite often

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With Jones coming back and him being outplayed by so many rookies I would be surprised if they don't send him down. We shall see though.
I'm not saying it won't happen, just saying don't could your ducks before they hatch

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
With Ferland in good condition and Colborne/Raymond/Stajan closer to return, it makes sense for him to finally be waived.

I did think he was doing a fine job as being the press boxer.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Nobody thinks there's a chance we could move Jones for a pick when we're healthy again, rather than risk losing him for nothing, or does nobody think he'd be claimed?

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Nobody thinks there's a chance we could move Jones for a pick when we're healthy again, rather than risk losing him for nothing, or does nobody think he'd be claimed?

Personally I think Jones has been better than Seto this year, he is actually playing his more powerful style even if it isn't lighting up the lights at his top scoring pace. Jones also makes more sense in a top 6 RW role than Seto IMO, until we have more rookies we are comfortable playing there - it is interesting to see the Flames try so many LW and Center Rookies at RW to see who can make a push into that top 6 but we need Jones there until we figure out something that works without him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I don't think so for a couple reasons:

1) When Jones has been healthy, he has been pretty good this season.
2) We lack depth on the RW of true established RWers and Jones fills a big need in that regard.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think so for a couple reasons:

1) When Jones has been healthy, he has been pretty good this season.
2) We lack depth on the RW of true established RWers and Jones fills a big need in that regard.
I agree.

Setoguchi will likely be sent down when he clears, best thing for him I think is to light up the AHL and restore his confidence. He lights up the AHL and he will probably earn another chance.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not surprised by this. Also wouldn't be surprised if he is picked up. Most likely he doesn't stay with the team either way with Jones about ready to come back.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I agree.

Setoguchi will likely be sent down when he clears, best thing for him I think is to light up the AHL and restore his confidence. He lights up the AHL and he will probably earn another chance.

This is what I was thinking as well. He likely gets another callup at somepoint due to our lack of depth on RW and how prone we seem to be to injury.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Don't you think we'll want to get a stint from Hanowski, Arnold, Poirier, etc. before Seto? This assuming he lights it up in Adirondack.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The thing with Seto is we can call him up as an extra forward (thus often being a healthy scratch). We don't really want to do that with one of the prospects really.

Don't we already have that though in McGrattan and a little bit of Bollig?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad