GDT: Devils vs. Predators - 7pm, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hear me out... if Wood is still out I'm calling up Geertsen. Philly is full of scum bags.

5D013C6C-0E74-472E-A400-356EF5361A79.gif

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Devastating loss. 8 seconds left in regulation, and then just sloppy play in the OT. Feels like the Devils have never won Nashville. They out played them, yet somehow the pucks just bounced in. Lousy way to start the weekend.

Reactions: glenwo2

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
We've got to stop the Smith hate. He's been everything we need him to be. A sixth defenseman who plays defense and is a character guy in the room.

At some point you just have to credit Duchesne and Johansson and Forsberg. They all made some really good plays that ended up being the difference in the game. It really wasn't like we were bad on those pick battles... They were pretty good.
I genuinely wasn’t hating on him. He almost scored a goal and drew a penalty while playing forward.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Hear me out... if Wood is still out I'm calling up Geertsen. Philly is full of scum bags.
Wouldn't be Devils Flyers proper without a few scumbags! I think they lead the NHL in fighting majors. Gotta do something to keep fan intrest there! Deffenilty need to protect our skilled guys which is virtually all of them except for Haula. I know he's scored 20 25 goals for Vegas but, to us he's our Jay Pandolfo 2.0!

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Don't worry I pretty confident they'll take it out on the AHL team in Philly tommorow. They owe them a beatdown form losing to them on opening night.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Devastating loss. 8 seconds left in regulation, and then just sloppy play in the OT. Feels like the Devils have never won Nashville. They out played them, yet somehow the pucks just bounced in. Lousy way to start the weekend.
I usually agree with your posts but I was happy with the night overall. Unless you think players like Dougie and Siegs playing bad is a trend there is nothing to be worried about. I could not stress enough how big it would be for this team to have Holtz and Bahl playing well long term. Do you realize how important players on ELCs playing well are for LTIR teams like NJ?

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I usually agree with your posts but I was happy with the night overall. Unless you think players like Dougie and Siegs playing bad is a trend there is nothing to be worried about. I could not stress enough how big it would be for this team to have Holtz and Bahl playing well long term. Do you realize how important players on ELCs playing well are for LTIR teams like NJ?

I mean they (Devs) were the better team in regulation, and absolutely dominated the 2nd. But just how it all ended was devastating. You're 8 seconds from getting a win and then in 40 seconds you have lost the game. Felt like they coasted the end of the third, like they already had in the bag and it back fired. Like many I didn't like the starting lineup for the OT and they played it sloppy. 1 point is good, and there's (almost) always some good things to takeaway even in loss. I was super happy for Holtz. But the initial feeling is depression and I can't help it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i really don't get the end of game with the powerplay hopefully they chalk it up as another learning experience. they have to put teams away when given the chances. it happened in the rangers game when they had those pp's to go up 3 and put them away they dont convert and they escape with a win. this time they have tons of chances and powerplays to go up 2 and don't get it done. gotta teach them that killer instinct

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Since the tie has gone away, the most wins we have in a season is 51. Panthers won 58 last year and a few teams were over 50. I think we break 51 this year and beat our 2008-09 total. I think we’re at a 64 win pace right now which obviously won’t happen.

i really don't get the end of game with the powerplay hopefully they chalk it up as another learning experience. they have to put teams away when given the chances. it happened in the rangers game when they had those pp's to go up 3 and put them away they dont convert and they escape with a win. this time they have tons of chances and powerplays to go up 2 and don't get it done. gotta teach them that killer instinct
From the post game comments it appeared Lindy wasn’t happy with the PP either. We played like Hynes switched benches during the last 3 minutes

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
This game also proves how important goaltending is. The team has obviously taken huge leaps defensively and offensively, all the advanced stats support that. But the good goaltending is the number 1 reason why they've racked up so many wins. In all our losses outside the Toronto screwjob, our goalies have posted below .900sv%. This game Vanecek was .833sv%.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Don't worry I pretty confident they'll take it out on the AHL team in Philly tommorow.
This game also proves how important goaltending is. The team has obviously taken huge leaps defensively and offensively, all the advanced stats support that. But the good goaltending is the number 1 reason why they've racked up so many wins. In all our losses outside the Toronto screwjob, our goalies have posted below .900sv%. This game Vanecek was .833sv%.
Last night's loss was flashback to last season. We routinely got out goaltended like that and deserved a better result.I like VV but, he's got a long way to go to be considered an elite goalie. I think he's a NHL starter at least but, not at an elite goalie. Which could eventually catch up to us in the spring. You gotta have a super good team like Colorado to win with just "good" goaltending in the playoffs.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The Devils have to stop giving up early goals, especially 2 goal leads. The first period has been as bad as the second has been great. Also, Vitek has been real good but he has a weakness that teams have noticed. Shoot the puck chest high and he’ll have trouble with it. He has a weak glove and bobbles the puck for goals. Of course they’re not winning all their games but with 8 seconds left, this one stings. Rather they lost 5-2 game. On to Philly. They’re also missing the 4th line but injuries happen to every team so it shouldn’t be used as an excuse.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
This was excellent coaching by Hynes. They did what they could to slow us down and it worked. Of course there is luck involved when you score the tying goal with seconds left, but all in all the Preds deserved it. This is how inferior and slower teams are going to play us in the playoffs and the guys have to learn from it. Of course, with Bastian and Wood in the lineup it might have been a different story. But it is what it is.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The decision to start Hischier and Sharangovich is to win possession on the face off off and hold possession. If they don’t score then you have Hughes and Bratt out against what is likely a tired bunch (if you hold the puck). Sharangovich turned the puck over the offensive zone and then couldn’t win it back in the defensive zone.

That is the thought process. You absolutely stat Nico as you need someone good a faceoffs. You can’t start with Jack. Now maybe Bratt should have started on the wing. My guess is Shara has had a hot stick of late and they wanted a shooter with Nico.

They could start Haula or McLeod out there to win the faceoff for all I care and then get them off the ice once they gain possession for Hughes or Bratt.

With Nico and Sharangovich starting, what happens if there's an offensive zone faceoff a minute into OT? You can't then send Hughes and Bratt out there as Jack most likely losses that draw - at that point, Haula almost has to go out and you can't get him off the ice easily if he wins the draw without coming out of the offensive zone. In that scenario, at least one of our two best offensive players is not touching the ice on the first two forward units in OT.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I genuinely wasn’t hating on him. He almost scored a goal and drew a penalty while playing forward.
The fact that he can play some fwd as well as rhd does add to his usefulness.

Haven’t checked lately but for awhile his on ice #’s were great too.

I think some of the Smith “hate” is that he squeezes Bahl out of the lineup.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
They could start Haula or McLeod out there to win the faceoff for all I care and then get them off the ice once they gain possession for Hughes or Bratt.

Yeah they did this bunch of times with Mikey last season. You can even start Nico and Hughes, and double shift Jack. Yegor messed up, but the whole line played it sloppy. Felt like there was some bad energy in the whole team last 15 minutes or so, they didn't look like themselves.

Reactions: HBK27

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

This makes no sense because at least 40% of the time you won't win the faceoff, and now you have Haula or McLeod out there in OT.

With Nico and Sharangovich starting, what happens if there's an offensive zone faceoff a minute into OT? You can't then send Hughes and Bratt out there as Jack most likely losses that draw - at that point, Haula almost has to go out and you can't get him off the ice easily if he wins the draw without coming out of the offensive zone. In that scenario, at least one of our two best offensive players is not touching the ice on the first two forward units in OT.

Faceoffs are obviously massively important 3v3 but who cares where any draw is in OT, it doesn't matter. Have you ever seen a 3v3 OT goal off an offensive zone faceoff? Everything about the game is different with only 3 players per side and one of them is that the locations of faceoffs are almost immaterial - nobody really challenges at their own blueline, so there is no inflection point - a faceoff win anywhere is worth about the same IMO.

The one difference is as you've described, it's harder to get a player off the ice in the D zone. Fine.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This was excellent coaching by Hynes. They did what they could to slow us down and it worked. Of course there is luck involved when you score the tying goal with seconds left, but all in all the Preds deserved it. This is how inferior and slower teams are going to play us in the playoffs and the guys have to learn from it. Of course, with Bastian and Wood in the lineup it might have been a different story. But it is what it is.
He didn’t do very much to slow us down. We just unfortunately didn’t finish any of the near half dozen chances in the 3rd to close it out and they got a nice lucky bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad