GDT: Devils vs. Panthers - 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Overslept and missed the Schneider special :(

Apparently so did the NHL...still not showing up on the highlights. Maybe it's for the best I don't see this goal again, just from half-looking at the bar I was watching at it looked bad but I can't say I was really 100% paying attention.

Reactions: theoptimist

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Apparently so did the NHL...still not showing up on the highlights. Maybe it's for the best I don't see this goal again, just from half-looking at the bar I was watching at it looked bad but I can't say I was really 100% paying attention.

Of course it is the only goal they didn’t upload.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
he hasnt even been above average.

you could say kinkaid made saves against the pens that neither goalie would have made. they both made high danger saves.

that 2nd goal was the worst goal of the new year by far.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
like i think schneider is better than kinkaid but i dont think hes that much better. when you consider 50+ games over two seasons, on similar teams, their advanced stats are pretty much even. win percentages are almost identical. its not some crazy opinion to think schneider is league average or below league average.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
If Cory stands just a little bit taller, he probably stops it.

70mE7EA.jpg

Reactions: mtnet and Bleedred

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Should have been hugging the post, most goalie coaches are gonna tell you that. Even Dano thought it was a bad goal.

Excuses need to stop as well, he hasn't been a good goaltender for 96 games now, he just hasn't.

Cory at 30-31, looks only a little bit better than Marty did at 39-40. He just hasn't been good enough for 96 games and it's becoming a cause for yellow flags.

If he finishes this year with another poor season then that's TWO bad years from Cory and cause for red flags.

Luongo let in a bad goal, Cory let in two and almost cost us a third with bad puckhandling.

Second was completely inexcusable for any goaltender at any level. First thing they teach you is to hug the post on those angles.
First one was almost as terrible. You need to have your stick angled to put that initial shot behind the net and not out in front. Terrible rebound control.

I won't go so far as to say goaltending was the difference as Cory made some excellent stops - but we cannot afford two bad goals against when we are only scoring 1 or 2 goals a game.

I don't think our goaltending is below average - even over this bad streak - I think team defense is a bigger problem.

That said - tonight couldn't have really gone much worse for Cory than it did - but he's our #1 and I'm looking forward to him carrying us in some games that we have no business winning and I hope we ride him hard the next few weeks.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Not even sure what Cory was supposed to do on that first goal. Two guys were sliding into the damn net

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It looks even worse at that angle....

I will say this though - I've had tons and tons of goals scored upon me like that. Easy to say - but it is damn difficult to position your legs and still get your shoulder wedged up in there with your arms tight as its easy to kind of bounce your hip off the post and make a gap if your knees are bent. It's a really really unnatural position and unless you get your glove arm on the inside of the outside of the post to hold you there - it is just frigging gaposis and the puck will find a way.

I've had it off the blocker and in, off the outside of the left skate, off the inside of the right pad, off my body and under my arm, off my shoulder and top shelf, off my mask and off my blocker arm and in... etc etc.

It's a tough play for a goalie - but hey... that's why he's paid money to do it.

Reactions: Bleedred

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He was standing tall too. He bent over as the shot came in. Not sure if he misread it and thought it was coming low or maybe he just didn’t think he was shooting from there.

That's what is so tough - you need to almost stand upright unless you are a monster, and you also need to keep your pads back behind in the net so you don't present a target- and if you're a butterfly goalie - you've got to be ready to get down if it gets in front. It's never an easy thing.

5+ million a year? Gotta stop it.

Reactions: mtnet

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's what is so tough - you need to almost stand upright unless you are a monster, and you also need to keep your pads back behind in the net so you don't present a target- and if you're a butterfly goalie - you've got to be ready to get down if it gets in front. It's never an easy thing.

5+ million a year? Gotta stop it.

Honestly still seems like more a bad bounce. Puck went pretty much the one place it could go in.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
That 2nd GA was ridiculous in another 1 goal loss. Not bad luck, just a fundamental unforced error. Shooter should have NO chance for that puck to go in from there, not at this level.

Reactions: Palpatine

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Honestly still seems like more a bad bounce. Puck went pretty much the one place it could go in.

No man - you need your shoulder under that corner. At an angle like that, you need to be a wall bad bounce or no. If he had NO time to get there after a cross ice pass, then fine - but there was no danger and he should've been there.

Not saying it doesn't happen to the best of them, and as I detailed above, it is a bitch of a play - but your teammates still give you tons of crap if THAT goes in.

I actually like the first goal less... because he can almost totally control that with his stick. How many times do you see an innocuous shot like that just sticked off to the corner - and Cory has supreme elite reaction times so that's a tough one.

Reactions: mtnet and Palpatine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad