GDT: Devils vs. Bruins - 1:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My concern with Goose is that he's going to go the mercenary route. I'd really like to get him locked up to something longer term than just this year and next, but I have major concerns that he's going to want to his UFA and cash in if he's playing well.

can you blame him? He’s playing ina foreign country and he will probably only get one chance at a big contract.

Reactions: severian and Forge

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Gusev is playing well but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We still have him for this year and next year. He is a scoring winger and the last thing we should do is start “taylor hallin” him by bringing his friends in the mix just to keep him happy to resign here

I am much more concerned with Jack’s development than I am concerned with resigning Gusev

Reactions: Patrik26

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nvm forgot Blackwood is actually eligible for the Calder.
What's the game limit for goalies? I remember back in 2017 they wouldn't stop forcing the stupid ''Matt Murray is the first goalie to ever win two Stanley Cups as a rookie'' meme. But Murray didn't play very many regular season games his first year and that's all they count.

A reporters asked Nas in the post game about the Calder thing also. Maybe he was watching the post game in the media room and heard Steve say it first.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He is eligible. This is his official rookie year. Samsonov has better overall numbers then him though.

Not to take anything away from Blackwood of course. He really has been good.
Speaking of Samsonov, the Caps should be playing him more. Yet they keep playing Holtby, who has a lower save percentage than Blackwood (on what we can all agree is a WAY better team) and for the third year in a row, Holtby has an average at best save percentage. Yet they're gonna re-sign him and handcuff heir cap? Really bad move to not see more of what Samsonov has, but it's also a really good move if the Caps lock up Holtby for the other teams in the division. Especially if it costs them other guys and after the Jackets got to dodge the Bobrovsky contract.

Reactions: mtnet and My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Calder, as everything else is, is about points. A goalie would have to set a record for shutouts or something to get consideration.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
can you blame him? He’s playing ina foreign country and he will probably only get one chance at a big contract.

Absolutely not. I never blame athletes of any sports for going after that money. I'm a very much pro player type fan.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
What's the game limit for goalies? I remember back in 2017 they wouldn't stop forcing the stupid ''Matt Murray is the first goalie to ever win two Stanley Cups as a rookie'' meme. But Murray didn't play very many regular season games his first year and that's all they count.

A reporters asked Nas in the post game about the Calder thing also. Maybe he was watching the post game in the media room and heard Steve say it first.:laugh:
I remember posting it at the end of the off-season. I think it was something like 25 games.

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
was at the game today .. the devils were clearly the better team all day.. they were hard on forecheck ... the defensman played outstanding today.. 18 guys showed up to play .. Mueller is becoming a factor
I felt we were pinned in our zone a bit, especially in the 1st period. I also feel like we're completely hapless in the OT.

On the other hand, we managed to get some O zone time in the 2nd and 3rd, and we didn't crumble after getting behind. All in all, a good game against a good team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Calder, as everything else is, is about points. A goalie would have to set a record for shutouts or something to get consideration.
He wouldn't have to do that.

But he'd need to have a really good season (like .920%+ and while starting a lot of games). Kind of like Steve Mason in 09, who was the last goalie to win it. It was kind of unbelievable that Marty won it that year, as he only played 45 games (I think?) that year. Nabokov played 66 in 00-01 when he won it. Those are the last three to win it. .915% might do it this year if he did it in 65 games or so and we made the playoffs, because save percentages are down this year. Mason only had a .916%, but he played 61 games and had 10 shutouts, which has to be a rookie record.

No playoffs and he won't get it, but he could get a vote or two if he has a really good season.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Saw video of Sevo accepting the jacket from Hughes. Poked fun at himself when he got it saying it feels better to score on the other net lol.

Reactions: nugg

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Back from game, finally got on here..

That was Blackwoods best game for a shootout victory. I was so shocked that we went so many rounds. I was dreading the boston sealing the SO with a goal at the last few rounds. MB i think learning how to be better in the shootout, only once was he beaten so cleanly with a good move. Severson playing redeemer with that fancy move, thank god it was on right net this time :)

NJ played well during the later stages of the game, I actually felt confident somewhat that they could come back in this one. After the middle second period, you could see the chances developing.

Maybe Boston wasn't on their game fully (although 1st period they controlled the play in the early goings, and generally Boston's passing was tape to tape all game long).

For NJD, passing was still not ideal all game long, but loved the way they dug into this game and got their win. The defensive zone play still somewhat reminscient of Hynes defensive zone system, but I think they're doing better collecting the puck and making the "smarter" move.

I saw Wood skate off mid-game, but wasn't sure if he came back on later? Can anyone confirm, I don't remember seeing him later in 3rd.

Oh and the ping and the mis-goal horn was epic. What a loud ping that was, no wonder the button man hit the horn...

Anyway good to see this group play a complete game and gut out the win against a solid team.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Back from game, finally got on here..

That was Blackwoods best game for a shootout victory. I was so shocked that we went so many rounds. I was dreading the boston sealing the SO with a goal at the last few rounds. MB i think learning how to be better in the shootout, only once was he beaten so cleanly with a good move. Severson playing redeemer with that fancy move, thank god it was on right net this time :)

NJ played well during the later stages of the game, I actually felt confident somewhat that they could come back in this one. After the middle second period, you could see the chances developing.

Maybe Boston wasn't on their game fully (although 1st period they controlled the play in the early goings, and generally Boston's passing was tape to tape all game long).

For NJD, passing was still not ideal all game long, but loved the way they dug into this game and got their win. The defensive zone play still somewhat reminscient of Hynes defensive zone system, but I think they're doing better collecting the puck and making the "smarter" move.

I saw Wood skate off mid-game, but wasn't sure if he came back on later? Can anyone confirm, I don't remember seeing him later in 3rd.

Oh and the ping and the mis-goal horn was epic. What a loud ping that was, no wonder the button man hit the horn...

Anyway good to see this group play a complete game and gut out the win against a solid team.

Boston was missing a few players including Krejci and a couple of defenders.

The passing was not great, especially in the offensive zone. Too many in the skates of guys or passed too hard out of reach. I will say the breakout passes were decent and simple. I don't remember any reckless low percentage 100 foot passes out of the zone.

Wood got slashed on the wrist pretty badly, but he came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad