GDT: Devils vs. Blue Jackets - 5:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Honestly, what the hell does it matter who starts at this point? With the team we're icing we're more than likely going to lose, whether it's Cory or Kinkaid. I probably would have gone with Kinkaid, but the overreaction is kind of ridiculous, as usual.

Yup, everything is an overreaction. No discussions on a forum please, it's an overreaction.

It doesn't matter who they start right now, especially in a game they got shutout in.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I said it last night, what do people expect with this lineup? We have 4 legit NHLers with a bunch of kids that'll be at very best to play on the 3rd line if we're lucky with the exception of Zacha, the rest is fodder we picked up for scraps. Combine that with meh goaltending and garbage/inexperienced D this is the result.

I mean really, just read the names off one by one and realistically project what these guys will most likely turn into, it's complete trash with the exception of a few that have some "intangibles" lol.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yup, everything is an overreaction. No discussions on a forum please, it's an overreaction.

It doesn't matter who they start right now, especially in a game they got shutout in.

Right, just like how we can't make excuses for Cory. No discussions on the forum please.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, what the hell does it matter who starts at this point? With the team we're icing we're more than likely going to lose, whether it's Cory or Kinkaid. I probably would have gone with Kinkaid, but the overreaction is kind of ridiculous, as usual.

Because it's a waste of wear and tear, it's also a waste of compiling bad stats and just ASKING to compile them.

If he plays well in defeat, he gets tagged with an undeserved loss or he gets lit up because he played 2 nights in a row, while facing a HUGE workload last night. If we played like tonight last night, maybe I'd be a little more forgiving of this decision.

Goalies typically play worse on the second night in a row and that's exactly what we saw tonight. Beat cleanly to the glove on goal 2 and a weak rebound on goal 3. Maybe he plays this bad regardless, but it's a waste of usage for him.

Play the backup at this point, we're not getting into the playoffs, the rest of tonight's lineup was AHL caliber, why even play Cory like we're chasing the last playoff spot?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Well they probably would have lost 5-0, but honestly it wouldn't have mattered what the result was, it was still hypocritical not to play Cory in the back-to-back against the Isles which meant far more in the standings while they played him in the back to back tonight which meant nothing in the standings.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Meh.

Liked Merrlll and Santini though. And honestly...Prout's not that bad.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I said it last night, what do people expect with this lineup? We have 4 legit NHLers with a bunch of kids that'll be at very best to play on the 3rd line if we're lucky with the exception of Zacha, the rest is fodder we picked up for scraps. Combine that with meh goaltending and garbage/inexperienced D this is the result.

I mean really, just read the names off one by one and realistically project what these guys will most likely turn into, it's complete trash with the exception of a few that have some "intangibles" lol.

I'm not one to be very critical, we're rebuilding anyway, but not losing 7 straight would be nice. Just keeping morale up for the final month would be nice. But I get what your saying and I agree.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Hall is looking extremely frustrated. I imagine he feels he could be playing better too, and it is bugging him.

Playing on a horrible Oilers team for 6 years didn't do much for his confidence. And management did nothing to surround him with vets to nurture his start in the NHL. Then add a coach like Dallas Eakins. Blame the Oilers , and I wouldn't argue. Yes the Spy is on board.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We had our 3rd period special from the last few games.

6 shots or less

It was 6 shots the last two before tonight, I think. Tonight we had 5 in the 3rd period.:shakehead

We play even worse than most teams when trailing, as far as attacking goes.

And we play even worse than most teams when holding a lead, as opposed to most other teams. Most teams get outshot when having a big lead, but we take it to a whole other level.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Playing on a horrible Oilers team for 6 years didn't do much for his confidence. And management did nothing to surround him with vets to nurture his start in the NHL. Then add a coach like Dallas Eakins. Blame the Oilers , and I wouldn't argue. Yes the Spy is on board.

Don't worry guy

You won the trade!

Can we have Larsson back?!:sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Which just really makes me wonder even more

''Why was Cory needed for this game?''

It's not like Kinkaid has been horrendous, where you can't justify giving him another start, outside of that last game, which was the worst of his NHL career. He's also had a couple of his best NHL games this year though, in Pittsburgh and Washington.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Which just really makes me wonder even more

''Why was Cory needed for this game?''

It's not like Kinkaid has been horrendous, where you can't justify giving him another start, outside of that last game, which was the worst of his NHL career. He's also had a couple of his best NHL games this year though, in Pittsburgh and Washington.

It wouldn't have mattered who started today, it's pretty much moot at this point. I would have liked Kinkaid but it doesn't really matter. Like NJdevs said, the time to start Cory back to back was against the Isles when games meant something. They might as well have thrown Terreri in there today.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I didn't see the game because I don't have Center Ice and had to do work for an on-line class I'm taking, but I'm surprised Kinkaid didn't get the start. The Devils aren't making the playoffs, so there's no need to ride Schneider hard and besides, Kinkaid needs some playing time and half of a back-to-back is when it makes the most sense to give him that playing time. I agree with the idea that it really didn't matter much though.

The rest of this season is seeing what the young guys can do, and in the case of the guys who have been with the Devils all or most of the season, seeing whether they play hard or dog it over the last month plus. Hopefully guys who have had solid seasons, like Merrill, can maintain their play, while guys who have struggled or been inconsistent, like Severson and Wood, can finish strong and take some positive vibes into next season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah Kink shoulda got the start tonight.
Need to lessen the chance of overworking Cory which can lead to injury.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Not watching feels great, you guys should try it. Maybe more of you would be in the optimist thread if you did :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Your happy with Hall. We're happy with Larsson. I leave it at that b
Fair enough.
It wouldn't have mattered who started today, it's pretty much moot at this point. I would have liked Kinkaid but it doesn't really matter. Like NJdevs said, the time to start Cory back to back was against the Isles when games meant something. They might as well have thrown Terreri in there today.
I don't think it would have mattered either, and that's why I would have went with Kinkaid, since I don't think we really had that great of a chance to win. I just don't agree with using a goalie two nights in a row (who faced 40 shots in a different city roughly 20 hours before) when we're finished anyway.
I didn't see the game because I don't have Center Ice and had to do work for an on-line class I'm taking, but I'm surprised Kinkaid didn't get the start. The Devils aren't making the playoffs, so there's no need to ride Schneider hard and besides, Kinkaid needs some playing time and half of a back-to-back is when it makes the most sense to give him that playing time. I agree with the idea that it really didn't matter much though.
That's precisely my point here.

I would have understood it if it were 2 weeks ago when we played the Islanders and they opted to start Kinkaid instead, which I was for starting Kinkaid anyway in that game.

We have 4 more back to backs, if I counted correctly. Cory really shouldn't play any of them.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like the entire team has entered the apathy zone. They look like they just want to get out of the rest of the season without injury. I don't really see any motivation outside of Blandisi and, surprisingly, Henrique. It's looks like it's beyond the frustration stage and onto the acceptance stage.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Looks like the entire team has entered the apathy zone. They look like they just want to get out of the rest of the season without injury. I don't really see any motivation outside of Blandisi and, surprisingly, Henrique. It's looks like it's beyond the frustration stage and onto the acceptance stage.

Yup yup.

Hall's game in Washington was abysmal. Seems like he's not even trying anymore.

DSP looks like he's ready to channel his inner Blake Bortles and start scoring in garbage time.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
We're icing possibly the worst roster in the league at this moment. Our top guys aren't the reason we're losing. Hall, Palms, and Zajac have been basically what is expected. It's the of the 3 lines significantly underperforming.

Maybe performing considering how terrible these players are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad