Devils Top 20 Prospects

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
1. Tyler Seguin - Has had difficulty getting quality ice time, but that is more a testament to the Bruins as to Seguin. Is an excellent skater with very good puck skills and hockey sense. Once he adjusts to the pace of the NHL he could be a top-line center, and could form a deadly combination with Ryan Getzlaf in a few years.

2. Jared Cowen - Finally fully recovered from the knee injury he suffered during his draft year. Cowen is a two-time member of Team Canada at the WJCs and is an intimidating presence on the blue line. Skates very well for a player of his size, and has some offensive potential. He could be a top-pairing defenseman.

3. Travis Hamonic - Solid. That is really the only word to describe Travis Hamonic. Good defensively, good size, can hit, good shot. Not flashy, but can do whatever is asked of him...clear the crease, play on the power play, deliver a big hit. Already showing that he is ready for the NHL.

4. Evgeny Kuznetsov - Not many players' stock has risen more than Kuznetsov in the past two months. Led his team to the medal round of the WJC nearly single handedly, scoring two goals and adding an assist against in the third period Finland, then had another three points in the third period against Canada for the gold. Followed these heroics by being possibly the best player in the KHL since then, despite being just 18 years old. The only question is when he will come to the NHL as he has already stated he will remain in Russia next season.

5. Nick Leddy - Had a down year following the draft, but surprised many with his play in Chicago during training camp and made the Blackhawks. Has since gone up and down, but has re-established himself as a top prospect. Small size, but excellent puck skills and positioning.

6. Jeremy Morin - After a down year before the draft, Morin was one of the top goal scorers in junior hockey last year and looked great in training camp for the Hawks. Ultimately sent down to the AHL, he played well and earned two callups and was named to the USA WJC team. Unfortunately, he suffered an injury during the first game and has not seen the ice since.

7. Emerson Etem - A pure goal scorer, Etem has great straight-ahead speed and good hands. Currently 11th in the WHL in goal scoring despite missing time to play in the WJC. Needs to get stronger, but could be a gem.

8. Teemu Pulkkinen - Slipped in the NHL draft due to injury and maturity concerns, but has rebounded this year. One of the top forwards at the WJC, he has also been one of the top players in Finland this year, despite being an 18/19 year old playing against men.

9. Kevin Poulin - Rebounded last season to re-establish himself as a top prospect. Called the best goalie prospect in juniors by Patrick Roy, Poulin has followed with an even better season this year. Was one of the top goalies in the AHL before being called up to the Isles, where he established himself as the best goalie on the team. Needs to work on his technique as he finds himself out of position at times. Poulin could be a darkhorse for the Calder next season if fully recovered from his knee injury and the Isles don't add a free agent.

10. Casey Cizikas - Once a highly touted prospect, his play and draft stock suffered due to off-ice issues. NCizikas was one of the best forwards for Canada at the WJC and has been on fire since. Projected as a third-line center, Cizikas does have some offensive upside. Now that his off-ice issues are in the past, his hockey future is wide open.

11. Jarred Tinordi - Tinordi is big and nasty. Has had a difficult time adjusting to major-junior hockey. Will never be confused with Paul Coffey, but as his game develops Tinordi will be a force on the blueline.

12. Stephen Johns - A good skater for his size, Johns is another defensive minded rearguard in the Devils system. Has played every game for Notre Dame as a Freshman, and leads the team in penalty minutes.

13. Joel Chouinard - A rare offensive defenseman in the Devils system. Making a solid transition to the pro game with 12 points in 17 AHL games, Chouinard needs to stay healthy.

14. Matt Mackenzie - Does a little of everything. Solid positionally, contributes a little bit of offense and has good size. Could develop into a good #3-4 defenseman, or spend his career in the AHL.

15. Ian Schultz - Has very limited offensive potential, which can be a problem for a forward. Will likely never be more than a 4th line grinder, but is almost assured of making the NHL at some point.

16. Radko Gudas - A third round pick as an overager by the Lightning in the NHL, signed as a UFA by the Devils. Having a very solid rookie-pro season witha team leading +17 and 112 penalty minutes in 54 games. Very willing to drop the gloves and has shown some offensive ability.

17. David Gilbert - Not considered much of a prospect going into training camp, he nearly made the Hawks based on his strong play at both ends of the ice.

18. Dale Weiss - Another potential grinder in the NHL, Weiss has been surprisingly good offensively in the AHL, averaging nearly a point per game.

19. Angelo Esposito - Oh how the mighty have fallen. Once considered a top prospect and potential #1 overall pick, he dropped down to 20 in his draft year and two major knee injuries since make Esposito a longshot to play in the NHL.

20. Steve Quailer - Another of the Devils prospects coming off of a major knee injury, Qualier had a surprisingly good freshman season two years ago but didn't play at all last season. Just getting back into playing shape this season, next year will be crucial.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Kevin Poulin seems to have finally put it together. Goalies are hard to project, but I would consider bumping him up even higher personally.

As a Sens fan, Cowen's a guy who's strong season has been if nothing else a relief. He looked so bad at last year's WJC that it really had me worried about his long-term recovery from the knee injury. He'll step into Ottawa next year and will eventually be the defensive conscience to Karlsson or Rundblad, so his career path is pretty set. The big thing for Cowen IMO is working on his puck skills, because he has a tendency to get awkward with the puck when pressured. Nothing to really worry about in his own zone though.

The other name that stands out is Gudas. A couple years ago at the WJC in Ottawa he stood out like a sore thumb for the Czech team. I honestly thought he was the worst player I'd ever really seen in that tourney. I guess he's just one of those guys who isn't pretty but can be effective. If you'd told me back at that tourney he'd end up in the AHL at this age I'd have laughed out loud.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Kevin Poulin seems to have finally put it together. Goalies are hard to project, but I would consider bumping him up even higher personally.

As a Sens fan, Cowen's a guy who's strong season has been if nothing else a relief. He looked so bad at last year's WJC that it really had me worried about his long-term recovery from the knee injury. He'll step into Ottawa next year and will eventually be the defensive conscience to Karlsson or Rundblad, so his career path is pretty set. The big thing for Cowen IMO is working on his puck skills, because he has a tendency to get awkward with the puck when pressured. Nothing to really worry about in his own zone though.

The other name that stands out is Gudas. A couple years ago at the WJC in Ottawa he stood out like a sore thumb for the Czech team. I honestly thought he was the worst player I'd ever really seen in that tourney. I guess he's just one of those guys who isn't pretty but can be effective. If you'd told me back at that tourney he'd end up in the AHL at this age I'd have laughed out loud.

I have two concerns about Poulin....the knee injury and the Islanders. They don't seem to have a plan in place to get their goalie prospects enough game time. Koskinen should have been in the ECHL, Poulin starting in the AHL, but instead they split time three ways with Lawson. Poulin only played 25 games this year...he needs more playing time next year, but knowing the Isles, Poulin will be backing up DP and only playing once every three games until DPs inevitable injury. Otherwise, I probably would have had him #5 on my list.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I think Hamonic might end up being the best player on that list when all is said and done, and that includes Seguin. He has been a beast in the NHL so far, and I expect him to break out big time next season. He really has everything one wants in a dman, and I think he will establish himself as the Isles #1 dman next season. He is just one of those players when you watch him play, you can just tell that he is gonna be a star player.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
I think Hamonic might end up being the best player on that list when all is said and done, and that includes Seguin. He has been a beast in the NHL so far, and I expect him to break out big time next season. He really has everything one wants in a dman, and I think he will establish himself as the Isles #1 dman next season. He is just one of those players when you watch him play, you can just tell that he is gonna be a star player.

I think the same thing about Hamonic and Seguin. Hamonic will be the best dmen on the Islanders squad as soon as next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad