Confirmed with Link: Devils to honor '95 Cup team March 8

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Lou has to get Marty there for that ceremony.

The Blues do not play that day.

It would feel incomplete without Marty there!

I hope TNR spends the money to make it a first class ceremony but also does all it can to get as many players/coaches there as possible.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Again? Didn't we just do a revisit from a bunch of each Cup winning teams in the last 3-4 years? I understand that 2015 is 20 years since '95, but really?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Again? Didn't we just do a revisit from a bunch of each Cup winning teams in the last 3-4 years? I understand that 2015 is 20 years since '95, but really?

They have never brought the team back.

Vs Detroit a few years back they had McKay, Peluso, Dano and Driver mentioned at various points in the game, but this would be the first time most or the entire team would be given recognition.

Great thing for our fans, epecially the long time diehards that lived through '95.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey

Think you answered your own question there. It's a big divisible by 10 milestone certainly worthy of celebration. Squeezing in the accepted 25/75 anniversaries aside, nothing wrong with once a decade. Also think DD is correct in that lesser anniversaries are usually just noted with a video or something along those lines (of course they will use it to promote the game nonetheless).

I'm fine with this as long as the Devils do not go all Rangers or Yankees in celebrating (more like milking) everything into the ground.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
They held a pre-game ceremony in 2010 and a red carpet type thing for those 1995 players in attendance as they arrived at the arena (they also did 2000 and 2003 teams later in that year).

I understand celebrating the 20th anniversary, but this is pretty gimmicky considering that we just had one a few years ago. Not that I expected differently from this set of management though.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Also, in looking at it from new management's perspective, they've never thrown a championship celebration/reunion before. As mentioned by DD, the previous one 4 years ago or so was a little underwhelming to say the least. My guess is this one will be done right, and I'm sure O'Neil wants to fill the house with Devils fans on a 5pm Sunday game against Philly.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I think they did it 5 years ago where they brought back each Cup team to drop the puck against the team that we beat (Detroit, Dallas and Anaheim). But they were never really able to get the greatest turn out since some of those guys were still playing.

If they can get an entire, or even majority team reunion, I'd be pumped.

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
They even had an event in 2007 at the old dump when they were bringing guys back from every team. This will be the third event in 8 years although it's less gimmicky than the last two. This is a legit anniversary, as much as I can't believe it's been 20 years ago. Besides, if Marty shows up, it will be the highlight of the season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They held a pre-game ceremony in 2010 and a red carpet type thing for those 1995 players in attendance as they arrived at the arena (they also did 2000 and 2003 teams later in that year).

I understand celebrating the 20th anniversary, but this is pretty gimmicky considering that we just had one a few years ago. Not that I expected differently from this set of management though.

If anything 2010 was the gimmicky one, I don't get why all three Cups were celebrated that year, just cause all three teams happened to come in and they wanted to show off the bricks in Championship Plaza? Now every team comes here every season anyway.

But yeah nothing wrong with an 'actual' anniversary celebration every once in a while.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Obviously jumping to conclusions, but I wonder if they waited on announcing this event until they could confirm a time where Marty would be able to make it.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Oh yeah forgot they did something smaller for all 3 Cup wins back in 2010 when the opponent was in town. Those were definitely gimmicks and hopefully will not be repeated going forward. However, past gimmicks should not stop new ownership from putting on a celebration for a legitimate anniversary.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Without question I'd expect this one to be beyond what those celebrations were, not to take anything away from them because at that point in time we hardly heard from or saw from many of those guys/teams so it was nice to see a little reunion of sorts.

This management team has the resources, cash especially, to make it a better celebration, but as mentioned already, understood with the significance of a 20th anniversary, but doesn't matter how big or small the other celebrations were, for the 3rd time in 8 years?

As a Yankees fan the first hand experience with this kind of stuff, honoring teams or guys too frequently (and just as in this case large and small celebrations), is there.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
A 1995 team alumni game at the practice rink is also planned for Saturday March 7.
Most likely for some sort of charity.

The '95 team deserves a real cermony like this, the half-measured night they had a few seasons ago was clearly not the same as only a handful of players were present.

Should be a great night, even better if #30 shows up (hopefully).

**Here is footage from the 2009 ceremony, I'm sure March 8 will have more planning behind it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84924572&v=6JBZMEjmhxQ&x-yt-ts=1422411861

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't even count the last year at the Meadowlands as one, they were doing a little bit on every season in franchise history but I really don't remember much in terms of celebration of the Cup wins past an acknowledgement per se, or at least they didn't go overboard with it.

Yobbles

Aug 16, 2012

Speaking as someone who is force-fed a lot of Leaf games, if the Leafs had won the Cup anytime during the last 25 years there would be a pre-game ceremony for that team AT LEAST once a year.

That '95 team was something special. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad