Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Continue discussion here -- which will eventually somehow turn into an argument about Josefson, Zubrus, Ruutu, or Gionta that has already been hashed and rehashed about five times since the season has ended.

But, that's irrelevant.

I really want to see Lou write a book. Can you imagine how many stories he could tell about his tenure with the Devils. There has to be some serious gems in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Lou writing a book would be a dream come true. I doubt we'll ever see it, though.

I'm more interested in how he came to his philosophies. What in life made him hold steadfast to his beliefs. And what he looks for in a person's character.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ray Shero kind of looks like Jello Biafra from the dead kennedys.

I don't think Ray is as large as what Jello is today.

A funny fact about about Jello Biafra, his real name is Eric Reed Boucher haha.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ray's recent comments make it seem like he is really committed to expanding and improving the fan experience. The events for the development camp seem to be only the beginning.

What would people like to see the most?

Edit: Excluding the changing of the goal song. Not opening that can of worms today. Talking about events, giveaways, more social media out reach, potential third jersey's. Some different during the games?

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Ray's recent comments make it seem like he is really committed to expanding and improving the fan experience. The events for the development camp seem to be only the beginning.

What would people like to see the most?

Edit: Excluding the changing of the goal song. Not opening that can of worms today. Talking about events, giveaways, more social media out reach, potential third jersey's. Some different during the games?

Cheaper tickets?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
New Jersey Devils

Left wing Center Right wing
Cammalleri Zajac Boucher
Henrique Zacha Palmieri
Elias Josefson Thompson
Zubrus Gionta Matteau

Extras: Ruutu O'Brien Tootoo
Blandisi Kujawinski Kalinin

Left Defense Right defense
Greene Larsson
Merrill Severson
Moore Gelinas

Extras: Helgeson Hrabarenka
Gragnani Mozik

Goaltender
Schneider
Kinkaid

Extras: Danis
Wedgewood

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
New Jersey Devils

Left wing Center Right wing
Cammalleri Zajac Boucher
Henrique Zacha Palmieri
Elias Josefson Thompson
Zubrus Gionta Matteau

Extras: Ruutu O'Brien Tootoo
Blandisi Kujawinski Kalinin

Left Defense Right defense
Greene Larsson
Merrill Severson
Moore Gelinas

Extras: Helgeson Hrabarenka
Gragnani Mozik

Goaltender
Schneider
Kinkaid

Extras: Danis
Wedgewood

What does it mean to be an extra? Not playing. Or AHL callups

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Ray Shero kind of looks like Jello Biafra from the dead kennedys.

I don't think Ray is as large as what Jello is today.

A funny fact about about Jello Biafra, his real name is Eric Reed Boucher haha.

LOL that's great. Thanks for the DK reference

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Lou writing a book would be a dream come true. I doubt we'll ever see it, though.

I'm more interested in how he came to his philosophies. What in life made him hold steadfast to his beliefs. And what he looks for in a person's character.

Chapter 1: Status Quo.

Fin.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I would love that.

Even just little stories like Chico's book was would be awesome.

Slowly, we are starting to learn stuff like what he said to Souray and his meeting with Gomez. Those are only just two players that came through the Devils in the last twenty years, I can only imagine he has so many more stories like that. Not just with other players but other GMs, etc.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would read a book (or books, considering how many connections Lou has throughout the world of hockey) of Lou stories from cover to cover in one sitting.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
That is something overdo. Raising prices while the team sucks isn't a great way to fill the building.

Also that line up is flawed. Gio isn't going to be playing center for this team anymore IMO.

I would argue that the objective is to make as much profit as possible and not to fill the building. For example, they may sell 10,000 tickets worth an average of $40 ($400,000) but they will make more more if they sell 8,000 tickets for $60 ($480,000).

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey

Lou worked in the college system before coming to the NHL. From my experience colleges really love a strong work ethic and a positive attitude. They also like to emphasize the importance of sticking to your morals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL that's great. Thanks for the DK reference

No problem man!

I think Ray has more hair than Jello does today too.

Jello Biafra would not approve of us posting on a sports forum, or being diehard hockey fans.

Since he hated (and still hates as far as my knowledge) sports and jocks. I remember one of his post DK spoken word's, where he said he wanted to move the Giants and 49ers out of Candlestick, so he could use it as a shelter for all of San Francisco's homeless.:laugh: That may have been one of the thing's he proposed during his San Francisco mayoral campaign back in the late 70s.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like that Hynes yelled at everybody and got heated during practice.

Hopefully he does it with the actual NHL team from time to time when it needs to be done.

The last 3 head coaches/coaching staff's I can't remember it being reported that they got angry during a practice. Not including Lemaire's last stint.

I remember MacLean did, though it took like 2 months of getting killed. It was only a couple weeks before he was fired when I remember TG talking about how he yelled at everybody during practice.

I don't remember it happening with DeBoer or the Hydra though.

For some reason, I keep thinking that DeBoer went off on Tedenby or somebody during practice once.:laugh: This might have just been a dream I had, or even just a thought I had.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well, it's a lot easier to yell at an 18-20 year old who is just breaking into the league than it is to yell at an accomplished 30+ year old making millions of dollars. One will probably listen to you, the other one has probably heard it all before.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Further, yelling =/= effectiveness necessarily. Consistently doing it can get tired and old - see John Tortorella. You don't just yell for the sake of doing so, there are plenty of ways to get a point across.

Picking your spots ala Larry Robinson in 2000 against the Flyers typically is most effective, but in this situation I like it because it somewhat shows he isn't treating this as just a week long tour of the Devils organization for these kids that are trying to make it somewhere in the organization.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cammy- Zajac- Palmieri
Elias- Henrique- Matteau
Ruutu- Josefson- Boucher
Thompson- O'Brien- Tootoo

Greene- Larsson
Moore- Severson
Merrill- Gelinas
Hrabarenka

Schneids
Kinkaid

With our current roster this is what I would like to see, 2 points however
1) I know I will get killed for having Henrique at center, but that is where I like to see him personally. I have no clue where this thought comes from that he stinks as a center as I have always thought he was quite effective playing their ( although he does stink at face-offs)

2) I will have nightmares if I see a Moore-Gelinas pairing. I dropped Merrill to the 3rd pairing just so Moore and Merrill wouldn't have to play together.

Not an ideal roster still, but it definitely leaves openings for youngsters to prove their stuff. Any roster that has Gionta and Zubrus off of it is a better roster.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Further, yelling =/= effectiveness necessarily. Consistently doing it can get tired and old - see John Tortorella. You don't just yell for the sake of doing so, there are plenty of ways to get a point across.

Picking your spots ala Larry Robinson in 2000 against the Flyers typically is most effective, but in this situation I like it because it somewhat shows he isn't treating this as just a week long tour of the Devils organization for these kids that are trying to make it somewhere in the organization.

It all comes down to knowing the players you are coaching. If you pick your spots to yell and it doesn't happen very often then your team will take it seriously, the last thing you want is some guy yelling every second of the day as it just loses some of the message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad