Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
The signing is whatever, probably doesn't hurt us at all - but these decisions do cause worry about Fitz's vision for how the game is being played, as this feels like a classic overreaction to the past, not planning for the future. Rempe had 71 PIM last year and 41 came against us - unless you think he was singling the Devils out they are unlikely to have this happen again.

This also glosses over the fact that Rempe will not be able to play the same way he did in his first go round in the NHL - he has 17 GP and already has a 4 game suspension under his belt, the lengths only increase from there.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The signing is whatever, probably doesn't hurt us at all - but these decisions do cause worry about Fitz's vision for how the game is being played, as this feels like a classic overreaction to the past, not planning for the future. Rempe had 71 PIM last year and 41 came against us - unless you think he was singling the Devils out they are unlikely to have this happen again.

This also glosses over the fact that Rempe will not be able to play the same way he did in his first go round in the NHL - he has 17 GP and already has a 4 game suspension under his belt, the lengths only increase from there.
I think the people most against the signing are focusing more on Rempe than the people who are fine with it.

Did Rempe go into the "pros" column when figuring out the signing? I'm sure. But I feel like there was a lot more to it than just that. And with enough "pros" to it and barely any "cons," it probably made since to lock him up and move on.

I think people are fearing the "mindset" too much.

Reactions: My3Sons

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I guess MacDermid can pass through waivers and they can call him up when needed (i.e. against the Rags)? I don't mind having him in the system but I'd rather not lose another forward to waivers cuz MacD is taking up a spot on the big team.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I think the people most against the signing are focusing more on Rempe than the people who are fine with it.

Did Rempe go into the "pros" column when figuring out the signing? I'm sure. But I feel like there was a lot more to it than just that. And with enough "pros" to it and barely any "cons," it probably made since to lock him up and move on.

I think people are fearing the "mindset" too much.

Serious question - if not for Rempe's clown show against us last year, would anyone head into the offseason looking to find a fighter to sign to a 3 year deal? It is possible to trade for some Size/physicality in a better hockey package who may not be as good as a fighter. There's just not a lot of these players left, and the way Rempe played last year is unsustainable for an NHL career so what are we even "loading up" for?

I think it's very hard to look to think of this as anything other than a Rempe response - there are more productive ways to get physical players, and players who are good locker room guys. The only thing MacD offers you can't get elsewhere is size and fighting. That's my problem with Fitz here, he overreacted - hopefully it is just this.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the problem is that MacDermid going after Rempe(and we should be talking about all goons here) doesn’t protect anyone. Rempe and his team don’t care if Rempe has to fight someone after he injures an opponent.

MacDermid has to injure a good player on the other team to show there is mutually assured destruction if someone hurts a Devil. That causes the other team to reign in their psychos.

I don’t like that the league is like this but it is. So is MacDermid willing to be that guy?
Wait, you are advocating that the team employ a sociopath to try to cheap shot the players on the other team? What sort of a monster are you? @Guttersniped would like a word with you.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Serious question - if not for Rempe's clown show against us last year, would anyone head into the offseason looking to find a fighter to sign to a 3 year deal? It is possible to trade for some Size/physicality in a better hockey package who may not be as good as a fighter. There's just not a lot of these players left, and the way Rempe played last year is unsustainable for an NHL career so what are we even "loading up" for?

I think it's very hard to look to think of this as anything other than a Rempe response - there are more productive ways to get physical players, and players who are good locker room guys. The only thing MacD offers you can't get elsewhere is size and fighting. That's my problem with Fitz here, he overreacted - hopefully it is just this.
Yea I get what you are saying, but you keep painting it as this big move by saying "over reaction" and "loading up." He signed a nothing contract that can be buried very easily.

"Teams have fighters again? Ok, lets lock up the best one on a contract that doesn't matter and not have to think about goons for 3 years."

He absolutely still can add to the lineup in a number of ways, with players who play the game harder and have skill. Trade for better depth, all of that. This was putting in very little effort to fix something that wasn't that big of a deal.

Talking about it like its a precursor to what's to come and the new direction of the team is just panicking at this point.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I guess MacDermid can pass through waivers and they can call him up when needed (i.e. against the Rags)? I don't mind having him in the system but I'd rather not lose another forward to waivers cuz MacD is taking up a spot on the big team.
Yeah - 3 year deal almost certainly ensures he doesn't get claimed.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Interesting to think about
if Fitz will decide to pick winger, especially right winger (Iginla LW, Nygard, Chernyshov, Sennecke are right wingers, im not here to talk about wich player he will draft, just imagine he will pick some winger), and with Arseniy&Lenny in prospect pool, its interesting will he be open for a trade of Holtz to the team who needs hear/now and cheap like Islanders or Vegas for their 1st round pick. Of course Holtz looks like a better option for a trade for NHLer(and I find it as a better trade option if player is right) and overall Holtz doesnt look like a player with this value now, especially after Fitz promoting campaign of Holtz.

But lets imagine offer is there, phone is ringing, GM is calling and wants to offer 18-19 pick here and now, you dont know will you have an option on the market to trade Holtz for a good player, offer with the pick is actual only for five minutes. Would you trade Holtz, or would you save him for trades on the market or would you prefer to save him for the next season?

If Devils are offered pick 18 for Holtz, Fitz should take that and run.

Use that pick to try to acquire a goaltender. Flip it to Calgary for Markstrom straight up.

who exactly did Macdermid "protect" last year? He sat and watched when Nemec got his ass kicked.

Of course the money is meaningless, its tying yourself to a useless player for 3 years that I have a problem with. I truly hope that this isn't a pre-cursor to rest of the offseason.
Signing MacDermid to this deal isn't "tying youself to a useless player for 3 years" at all.

They can send him down to the minors and the entirety of his contract comes off the cap. Ridiculous statement here as usual.....

This contract is fine. The 3 years is weird... but if we're ever in true cap trouble, it's because of Palat. Not MacDermid.

If Smith gets re-signed I'll freak out. But his house in Westfield is on the market so I think he's gone.
Beautiful house wow.

Yeah - 3 year deal almost certainly ensures he doesn't get claimed.

That's so funny you say that - the Islanders fans thought the same thing about Ross Johnston. Look how that turned out.

Reactions: mdj12784

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If Devils are offered pick 18 for Holtz, Fitz should take that and run.

Use that pick to try to acquire a goaltender. Flip it to Calgary for Markstrom straight up.

Signing MacDermid to this deal isn't "tying youself to a useless player for 3 years" at all.

They can send him down to the minors and the entirety of his contract comes off the cap. Ridiculous statement here as usual.....

Beautiful house wow.

That's so funny you say that - the Islanders fans thought the same thing about Ross Johnston. Look how that turned out.

signing a player to a 3 year contract absolutely ties you to them for 3 years. What are you even saying? Do you know how contracts work?

sending him to the minors doesnt' change anything I said.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
signing a player to a 3 year contract absolutely ties you to them for 3 years. What are you even saying? Do you know how contracts work?

sending him to the minors doesnt' change anything I said.

Lol so now because you got corrected, you're trying to play it off like you knew that sending him to the minors would have 0 implication on that cap.

We all know you meant that you thought the contract would be stuck on the NJ Devils books. Don't try to play it off like you give any f**ks about Uticas roster.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I refuse to have an opinion on the MacDermid signing. It does makes sense to the same degree that it doesn't make sense.

I will abstain
If it was a year the last 5 pages wouldn't have happened. The term is the biggest issue albeit probably not a significant one. I do worry that it's a precursor to future poor signings.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If it was a year the last 5 pages wouldn't have happened. The term is the biggest issue albeit probably not a significant one. I do worry that it's a precursor to future poor signings.

Literally nothing about this signing is poor.

The Devils needed an enforcer. Now they have one. That's all there is to it.

The overreactions here are out of control.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lol so now because you got corrected, you're trying to play it off like you knew that sending him to the minors would have 0 implication on that cap.

We all know you meant that you thought the contract would be stuck on the NJ Devils books. Don't try to play it off like you give any f**ks about Uticas roster.

how was I corrected? Of course I know you can send a player at that salary to the minors with no cap impact. That doesn't change anything I said?

Fact- the Devils signed this player for 3 years. Hence, they are tied to him for 3 years. That is what I said. This is an undeniable fact.

trying to intimate what I was implying is absolutely wild.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Report says that Hurricanes may not re-sign RFA Marty Necas. That's... crazy. I wanted to trade for him when it looked like they were going to dump him cheap a couple years ago.

Maybe a good 3W?
No way they let him go for free.

25 year old. 6'2. 190. 25 goal scorer. 71 points two years ago.
He's a top 6 player, not a third liner.

He'd fit like a glove on Jack's line, IMO. Only "problem" is, he's a pure skill guy. That and what is cap hit would be.

Fair - you never know when another team might see a lost cost player signed to term as an asset. But, I still think the term would scare off teams who are just looking to plug a short term hole.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

i think teams saw how a limited role can still be effective and bring the locker room together if you ask the guys on the rangers anonymously i guarantee you pretty close to all would rather have him then not have him in the lineup. sure there are better options out there that isn't as good a fighter but a better player? how much are we trading to get him? how much is that contract/mins? if people are freaking out over 3 years 1 million for this guy? i dont think this is "loading up" by any means

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
So, I get the
It would be terrible. But I would like to think Fitz knows better.

IMO he bought a sledge hammer for the once a year he's gotta knock out some concrete, but knows he needs a few other size hammers to actually fix up the houses. If he thinks a sledge hammer is all he needs, he won't be a contractor very long.

I like this.
Ok. I get the hammer analogy but what if he's just purchased a multi-variable hand-held rivet gun but what he really needs is a 12” Dewalt sliding compound miter saw? Have you thought about that? That's what we should be talking about...dummies.

Who's watching team USA?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
So, I get the

Ok. I get the hammer analogy but what if he's just purchased a multi-variable hand-held rivet gun but what he really needs is a 12” Dewalt sliding compound miter saw? Have you thought about that? That's what we should be talking about...dummies.

Who's watching team USA?
Cuz hand-held rivet gun is a lot of fun and it was just sitting there at the garage sale. Idc if it never gets used, I'll hold it up in the mirror and go pew pew while taking a break from searching home depots and lowes for the perfect sliding compound miter saw. Got all summer before I even need the saw, might as well make sure I get the best one I can find.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Cuz hand-held rivet gun is a lot of fun and it was just sitting there at the garage sale. Idc if it never gets used, I'll hold it up in the mirror and go pew pew while taking a break from searching home depots and lowes for the perfect sliding compound miter saw. Got all summer before I even need the saw, might as well make sure I get the best one I can find.

Look at the Bosch Glide miter saw if you're not dragging it around to job sites (I think Delta makes a similar one). They're kinda cool and don't take up any room behind the saw so you can have the back against a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad