Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I’m definitely overreacting, but I would have just signed Miles wood at the deal he got from the Avs at 1.5 mil more and 3 more years. Both deals take them to age 33. At least Miles can skate and fight.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
These types of players barely exist anymore. How many teams employ a regular player that basically can't play? It isn't a thing that happens in the league nowadays past a few exceptions.

Problem is that one of these few exceptions is someone the Devils should be prepared to deal with given the short history.

I'd at least want someone within the organization to be able to beat the shit out of him if it comes down to it, or go up against any of the other exceptions around the league. If not MacDermid, a legit heavyweight that is well-liked in the locker room, then who? Some AHL plug you can call up or do you just take the hits with zero retribution beyond hoping our powerplay actually does something?

My only concern is how the coaching staff utilizes him versus the contract itself, which the Devils could rid themselves of at any time. If they have him as a 14th forward that only dresses for games where shit may go down or if we get a lot of injuries, then what's the big deal. If the staff has him as (even an almost) everyday player then I have to question the staff itself or the players Fitz provided them.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Macdermid is useless. He protects no one and just sucks all around. Guys like Nico need to learn to protect themselves rather than make pouty faces when they get hit.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think the problem is that MacDermid going after Rempe(and we should be talking about all goons here) doesn’t protect anyone. Rempe and his team don’t care if Rempe has to fight someone after he injures an opponent.

MacDermid has to injure a good player on the other team to show there is mutually assured destruction if someone hurts a Devil. That causes the other team to reign in their psychos.

I don’t like that the league is like this but it is. So is MacDermid willing to be that guy?

I get the argument that "well, Rempe injured guys anyway even though MacDermid was there, so having your own goon is completely ineffective". I don't completely agree with it though.

You constantly hear from past fighters in the NHL how much they hated having to fight. I doubt Rempe enjoys getting his face beat in, but he made it to the show and felt he had to play a certain way to make an impact and stay up. He was willing to deal with the consequences (to a certain extent, when he wasn't trying to skirt MacDermid) - over time if/when he earns a more permanent role, he should alter his style to not have to constantly square up (though he'll also be facing increased suspensions when he does cross the line).

MacDermid doesn't have to try to injure other team's players, but at least deliver some big hits on them.

Is it a major impact - I highly doubt it, but I think there is some.

If Rempe or some other goon injures multiple Devils next season are fans going to be screaming for some type of retribution against him. Sucks that these types of players are still even in the league, as it's hard to look at fighting the same way we did in the past knowing the effects of concussions - but unfortunately that is still the case.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Problem is that one of these few exceptions is someone the Devils should be prepared to deal with given the short history.

I'd at least want someone within the organization to be able to beat the shit out of him if it comes down to it, or go up against any of the other exceptions around the league. If not MacDermid, a legit heavyweight that is well-liked in the locker room, then who? Some AHL plug you can call up or do you just take the hits with zero retribution beyond hoping our powerplay actually does something?

My only concern is how the coaching staff utilizes him versus the contract itself, which the Devils could rid themselves of at any time. If they have him as a 14th forward that only dresses for games where shit may go down or if we get a lot of injuries, then what's the big deal. If the staff has him as (even an almost) everyday player then I have to question the staff itself or the players Fitz provided them.

I just fully and wholeheartedly disagree that we should be making any roster decisions based on one guy on a team who we play 4 times per year.

Again, money no big deal who cares. Term? Stupid. Overall, don't get it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This doesn't even move the needle for me. If he's done by year three, bury him in the minors and move on.

Lots of folks overreacting imo

It’s a bit annoying but I assume the term was to keep the AAV down.

My biggest issue with the player is he takes too many penalties because of his awkward lumbering skating style.

These are penalties for forwards with min of 60 min played (McD had ~214).

IMG_7029.jpeg

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

on a team that showed zero heart zero emotion zero toughness zero pushback i'm fine with this. he was the only one that remotely seemed interested when he came here which just shows how sad that locker room is/was. are there better options for "toughness" definitely but doubt anyone that is worth the amount of money/time/assets to get. people will say this is about rempe? or players like this aren't needed? i mean just look at what rempe did end of the year with the buzz fan interest and team morale and doing all that playing 5 mins a night. yeah i get people will say the hits are dirty and this and that which is fine but i doubt the rangers regret a single dirty hit he did and the nhl doesn't either. so until that changes i'm fine having someone on the team that can dish something out

Reactions: theoptimist

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
We play Rempe a few times a year and he plays 5 minutes a night. Not really sure that we need to gameplan around him.

Macdermid doesn't prevent players like Rempe from doing what they do and he's a negative on the ice. The team is worse putting him out there than a standard 4th liner in my opinion. Take him out and put in Kevin Rooney and the team is better.

Does the contract matter? Not really. It's really just about how you deploy him and whether or you put him out there consistently.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People are acting ridiculous here. My goodness the overreactions! Same people would be screaming at Fitz "why didn't you protect our forwards" every single game next season where we have one of our forwards cheap-shotted or we get run out of a building physically.
A three year contract for a guy that played less than five minutes a game? For a guy who isn’t even an upper level goon?

I get we have to fill the roster spot and he’s not making much above minimum but good grief it’s not like his presence really stopped the Rempe shenanigans

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It’s a dumb signing but honestly i don’t hate it. I’d rather have MacDermid playing 5-10 minutes for 45 games than having to rely on Brendan Smith for a whole season.

In a perfect world, we’d have a Lucic-type player who could handle the role while being Actually Good, but we don’t. And if he’s actually good in the room and all our little 5’9” 140lb forwards saw the news and thought “hell yeah,” then that’s not nothing. I just don’t know how he squeezed the extra year and extra 250k out of Fitz.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
These types of players barely exist anymore. How many teams employ a regular player that basically can't play? It isn't a thing that happens in the league nowadays past a few exceptions.
The only pushback I’ll give that is god forbid the Rangers win the Cup with Rempe being a cult hero, we’ll be going back to goon fourth liners all over the league before you know it

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s a dumb signing but honestly i don’t hate it. I’d rather have MacDermid playing 5-10 minutes for 45 games than having to rely on Brendan Smith for a whole season.

In a perfect world, we’d have a Lucic-type player who could handle the role while being Actually Good, but we don’t. And if he’s actually good in the room and all our little 5’9” 140lb forwards saw the news and thought “hell yeah,” then that’s not nothing. I just don’t know how he squeezed the extra year and extra 250k out of Fitz.

I’d rather have Brendan Smith the ‘forward’ ten times out of ten, it’s when he has to play a five on five D shift you ask for trouble

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
people saying players like this aren't needed and only play 5mins a night. i mean unless you weren't on social media the last x amount of games of the season or didn't pay attention rempe legit proved that there is a need even while playing 5 mins a night. i dont think mac will be playing 75+ games and if he is then this team has bigger issues but in limited games/situations/streaks i think hes got a place.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Fitz / MacDermid

1715963947168.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
people saying players like this aren't needed and only play 5mins a night. i mean unless you weren't on social media the last x amount of games of the season or didn't pay attention rempe legit proved that there is a need even while playing 5 mins a night. i dont think mac will be playing 75+ games and if he is then this team has bigger issues but in limited games/situations/streaks i think hes got a place.
What need? The Rangers were sailing to the President’s Trophy before Rempe ever came up, not like he made the difference on a borderline playoff team

Reactions: Devils731

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Rempe has played 44 minutes total in the playoffs over 7 games. Just because your normal run of the mill sports fan sees a social media post about him that might hype him up shouldn't mean anything IMO.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Macdermid is useless. He protects no one and just sucks all around. Guys like Nico need to learn to protect themselves rather than make pouty faces when they get hit.
i totally agree with this. i'm not saying i want the core guys dropping the gloves and fighting but they are constantly getting pushed around showing zero pushback on the ice. its a physical sport but they hardly play like it

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If Rempe or some other goon injures multiple Devils next season are fans going to be screaming for some type of retribution against him. Sucks that these types of players are still even in the league, as it's hard to look at fighting the same way we did in the past knowing the effects of concussions - but unfortunately that is still the case.
I think you saw a tide change this year.

After Rempe hurt a second Devil even the media was saying the Devils should probably go out and injure a Ranger because that’s the only way to reign in other goons.

Goons like/need to be the center of attention. They can’t be effective playing hockey but if they’re what people are talking about then they’re being effective and will keep getting paid.

Making goons fight other goons sure looks like a failing attempt to curb goon antics, it didn’t appear to slow any cheap shots against the Devils. If anything I think it emboldens the goons to do more. Only mutually assured destruction of good player injuries will have the other team’s coach telling his goon to calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad