Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I have a hunch that Pesce will reach out to the Devils
There is absolutely no chance of this happening. Our right side is full.

Here helps clarify - I would be shocked if the Devils signed anyone from your 1x or 2x as they will likely all be too expensive, and I see them at most signing one from the 3x/4x.

Lazar will center the 4th with Bastian, with Foote getting a chance at the LW spot and Mac rotating in. Maybe they bring in a vet to complete there, but they won’t be an expensive one.
I would have Foote as the #13 or #14 forward and if he can show to be better, great, but he just missed an entire season.

I'm all for adding some bottom six grit.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
There is absolutely no chance of this happening. Our right side is full.
That's why I worded it the way I did. It's up to the Devils if they be willing to trade Marino and sign Pesce. My speculation is that Pesce wants to sign with the team that is close to where he grew up at since he may not likely sign with the 'Canes.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_2305.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
??? I speculated that a player reaches out to a team he wants to play for even though there is no need to fill the position.
It could happen. I just see him as being heavily pursued immediately as an UFA and his agent is certainly going to push the big overpayment some team is going to offer him. If Pesce reaches out to NJ it’s not to get maximum AAV.

Reactions: Schemp

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Pesce is a good player. Would love him on the team, but not sure how we'd have to re-arrange the deck chairs and even not at max AAV, it probably limits other moves?

Reactions: My3Sons

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Trading #10 for a goalie will be a mistake. My hot take is that non-home-grown goalies do not deserve big contracts. Saros or Ullmark are not worth #10 and $8M for 5/6 years. Holtz is the former first rounder we should be trading for a goalie. New coach and 3 goalie triangle is what we need to be happy again.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Trading #10 for a goalie will be a mistake. My hot take is that non-home-grown goalies do not deserve big contracts. Saros or Ullmark are not worth #10 and $8M for 5/6 years. Holtz is the former first rounder we should be trading for a goalie. New coach and 3 goalie triangle is what we need to be happy again.
I Fitz sort of backed himself into a corner with his comments. I expect him to add some goalie he sees as a 1A goalie. I just hope he doesn’t get completely fleeced

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Interesting to think about
if Fitz will decide to pick winger, especially right winger (Iginla LW, Nygard, Chernyshov, Sennecke are right wingers, im not here to talk about wich player he will draft, just imagine he will pick some winger), and with Arseniy&Lenny in prospect pool, its interesting will he be open for a trade of Holtz to the team who needs hear/now and cheap like Islanders or Vegas for their 1st round pick. Of course Holtz looks like a better option for a trade for NHLer(and I find it as a better trade option if player is right) and overall Holtz doesnt look like a player with this value now, especially after Fitz promoting campaign of Holtz.

But lets imagine offer is there, phone is ringing, GM is calling and wants to offer 18-19 pick here and now, you dont know will you have an option on the market to trade Holtz for a good player, offer with the pick is actual only for five minutes. Would you trade Holtz, or would you save him for trades on the market or would you prefer to save him for the next season?

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Interesting to think about
if Fitz will decide to pick winger, especially right winger (Iginla LW, Nygard, Chernyshov, Sennecke are right wingers, im not here to talk about wich player he will draft, just imagine he will pick some winger), and with Arseniy&Lenny in prospect pool, its interesting will he be open for a trade of Holtz to the team who needs hear/now and cheap like Islanders or Vegas for their 1st round pick. Of course Holtz looks like a better option for a trade for NHLer(and I find it as a better trade option if player is right) and overall Holtz doesnt look like a player with this value now, especially after Fitz promoting campaign of Holtz.

But lets imagine offer is there, phone is ringing, GM is calling and wants to offer 18-19 pick here and now, you dont know will you have an option on the market to trade Holtz for a good player, offer with the pick is actual only for five minutes. Would you trade Holtz, or would you save him for trades on the market or would you prefer to save him for the next season?

If it were me, I would not. I've put in time and money to develop Holtz. I would not trade him to start all over again with another teenager. If a player for player trade cannot be facilitated, I'd bring back Holtz.

I think we can market Holtz as a project, and I'm sure some teams would be open to acquiring him, especially if we add a few other pieces.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Got to love Fitz fighting with Bratt's agent for years to shave some of the final cap hit only to use the savings from him accepting a deal below 8 on a guy they can only play 5 min a game. At least the contract can mostly be buried in the AHL and the term probably prevents another team from claiming him on waivers so Fitz doesn't do another move like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad