Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm counting on a Siegenthaler rebound, especially is we go with Keefe. 2023-24 was a bad year for him but he dealt with a lot of crap. Dougie went down 20 games in, he got hurt himself and the system was total garbage. He's nowhere near as bad as he was last year, count on that. I can see making a move for another LHD that provides size/toughness but counting Siegs out would be a massive mistake, honestly.
I’m hoping we can land a lefty that moves Bahl into the Brendan Smith #7 role. I’m relatively comfortable with the group as is, but it would be a lot better if we found our lefty version of Marino. Maybe that’s Samuelsson? I think I’d prefer someone with less term though.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I’m hoping we can land a lefty that moves Bahl into the Brendan Smith #7 role. I’m relatively comfortable with the group as is, but it would be a lot better if we found our lefty version of Marino. Maybe that’s Samuelsson? I think I’d prefer someone with less term though.
I'm just afraid we're going to overpay Big Z lol

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Samuelsson has been injury prone. No thanks. And its idiocy for Nichols to even put him out there as an idea for 10 OA.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I would do 10OA for Chychrun if an extension is in place (or fairly safe assumption there will be one). Not as a rental. I'm also wary of him getting an AAV higher than his actual worth, as he's been closer to a #2/3 than a #1/2 but I think he'll get paid like that.

I've said it a couple of times, but focusing on improvement to the forward group and hoping Seigenthaler/Marino bounce back in a new system is not the worst way to go about things this offseason.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I’d showcase The Dano Exhibit for Chychrun, who says no?

IMG_5763.jpeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's gonna be a brutal contract

100%, would've been all over getting him and Markstrom mid year for CGY along with a proper coaching change (a la Oilers/Islanders) but it's too late for the Zadarov move imo. Need someone way more sturdy on that side/younger

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
100%, would've been all over getting him and Markstrom mid year for CGY along with a proper coaching change (a la Oilers/Islanders) but it's too late for the Zadarov move imo. Need someone way more sturdy on that side/younger
I'm just afraid that Fitz is going to be obsessed with physicality and toughness in some sense and make a dumb move. If that only move is bringing back MacDermid to waste a roster spot, fine, that's less damaging but I'm still terrified.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
trading 10oa for Samuelsson is crazy. and his contract for how many games he has already missed in his career gives you pause too. the devils cost of acquisition for guys like Marino, Siegenthaler, and Graves were much lower and they have given exactly what you would hope that a guy like Samuelsson would do.

Anyway, look at some of the low pairing defenseman the remaning playoff teams are icing - a lot of them just were buy low candidates/young guys. Devils don't need to spend prime assets on guys for the 3rd pair to get good results from them.

I think a guy like Hattaka would be fine in the 7th defenseman role too.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm just afraid that Fitz is going to be obsessed with physicality and toughness in some sense and make a dumb move. If that only move is bringing back MacDermid to waste a roster spot, fine, that's less damaging but I'm still terrified.

Whoever the cup winner will have the league trying to copy cat their roster, just the nature of the beast with sports. The Avs were built like the Pens of yesteryear, so were the Leafs but they've been less successful.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I don't get why anyone wants Chychrun. He's not good defensively.
Yeah, I agree. Of those three, Theodore is the only guy I'd consider to trade #10 pick. He is better defensively and offensively than Chychrun. The downsides are that we already have offensive defensemen and his next contract will probably be too expensive for the Devils.

Reactions: Guadana and Mgd31

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the main concerns with Theodore are A) he'd likely cost more than simply #10 B) he only is signed for 1 more year and C) he has played a LOT of hockey over the past few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad