Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I feel like that's a lot closer than you'd think.

nah, it really isn't. Last 3 years:

Matthew: 241 games played, 301 points, 59% CF%
Brady: 242 games played, 224 points, 53% CF%

and they both play basically almost exactly 19 minutes/game.

I know a lot of you have a hate boner for chiclets because the idea of a podcast that doesn’t have 9-syllable statistics isn’t worth your time (and maybe a little bit because the hosts of chiclets remind you of the jocks in school who would stuff you in lockers) but dismissing them because they don’t take themselves too seriously is silly.

They’re all really, really well connected around the league. And while they don’t get everything right (who does?) they’re not nobodies.

Barstool sucks, and Biz and Whitney aren't funny

sorry this offends!

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
At some extent I agree that it's a shallow analysis, but it also shows that a #10 pick isn't a sure thing. It's a same thing with #11 and #12 picks.

Tom Willander
Conor Geekie
Cole Sillinger (Coyotes didn’t make a selection because of penalty so this was officially #12 pick)
Yaroslav Askarov
Victor Söderström
Oliver Wahlstrom
Gabe Vilardi
Logan Brown
Lawson Crouse
Kevin Fiala

Daniil But
Denton Mateychuk
Matt Coronato
Anton Lundell
Matt Boldy
Noah Dobson
Martin Necas
Michael McLeod
Denis Guryanov
Brendan Perlini

There is a high chance that your selection is a miss. You need good scouting to avoid it, and even then it might take 5–8 years that your selection is a impact player. I mean, for instance, McLeod was selected in 2016, and last playoffs were the first time when he was impact player for the Devils (of course, then came the shit in which he was involved).

That being said, there are a lot of examples of bad trades where teams have traded their 1st round pick for a player like Chychrun, Ristolainen, DeBrincat or Seth Jones. So this option also has its risks.

If the Devils select someone like Mintyukov, Rantanen, or Boldy, I'd keep the pick. But if their selection is someone like Jost, Ritchie or Wahlstrom, I'd trade it for someone like Fiala. Unfortunately, we don't know the results, so ultimately the question is, do you have more trust to the Devils' scouting department or Fitzgerald's ability to make trades?

this is just repeating the same thing- my point was not that you shouldn’t factor in the risk of a draft pick not hitting into your value calculation - just that looking at one point in time doesn’t really show you anything.

All Draft picks are risk/reward - the earlier the pick, the better the odds but they are still risky. You can trade the pick, I think it’s unlikely, but everything has a price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would love Brady here... But where are these rumors coming from? Is this still the Mike Rupp thing from weeks ago?

Reactions: mdj12784

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I would love Brady here... But where are these rumors coming from? Is this still the Mike Rupp thing from weeks ago?
Don't say where its from please. I'll just give a hint, every time the name/names come up, people need to make sure everyone knows that they don't like them, then other people get annoyed and it starts a whole weird thing about musical instruments and other high school activities.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Don't say where its from please. I'll just give a hint, every time the name/names come up, people need to make sure everyone knows that they don't like them, then other people get annoyed and it starts a whole weird thing about musical instruments and other high school activities.
Oh it came from that podcast? I don't like that podcast and was an athlete in highschool....but I was friends with a lot of flute players

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I was junior hockey player, have "degree" in basketball and volleyball as junior player(youth category). Was a captain of basketball team, was defenseman in hockey team.

Not a fan of Brady - Nemec trade at all. Would like to trade other assets like we did with Meier. 10OA for Brady is a good price with some other players and prospects.
I believe its an art career ruined me.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm totally on board with more cycle adept, generally heavier guys. I think Palat / that type of player was correct directionally, just wrong on the age and time frame. We need more retrieval to buy the two Hobbit wizards more time.

I'm just not big on committing a lot to those kind of players. You want to draft them and then let someone else pay them. Or keep the term short.

If you want to look at CHI or TB as analogs, then we're lacking the Versteeg / Ladd / Seabrook element or Cirelli / Killorn / Cernak.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm totally on board with more cycle adept, generally heavier guys. I think Palat / that type of player was correct directionally, just wrong on the age and time frame. We need more retrieval to buy the two Hobbit wizards more time.

I'm just not big on committing a lot to those kind of players. You want to draft them and then let someone else pay them. Or keep the term short.

If you want to look at CHI or TB as analogs, then we're lacking the Versteeg / Ladd / Seabrook element or Cirelli / Killorn / Cernak.
We have great core to surround. Meier is what we need, we can sign Martinook, Noesen, Joshua, Blackwell, Blueger, Trenin or some other complimentary players who will not hurt cap and pace of the game. Good coach will teach some elements.

Overall we were good last year just gass off after first round without experience. Beer top 4 LHD, better depth with more firechecking players who can skate will make wonders. I believe our core will be healthier in this situation because they would not be the only one who should retrieve the puck.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
We have great core to surround. Meier is what we need, we can sign Martinook, Noesen, Joshua, Blackwell, Blueger, Trenin or some other complimentary players who will not hurt cap and pace of the game. Good coach will teach some elements.

Overall we were good last year just gass off after first round without experience. Beer top 4 LHD, better depth with more firechecking players who can skate will make wonders. I believe our core will be healthier in this situation because they would not be the only one who should retrieve the puck.

i like the idea of "firechecking players" :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad