Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
When his contract comes up and people complain about it, I've 100% seen the response "He helped score one of the most important goals in franchise history, that is worth his contract alone."

He was playing on a line with Mcleod at that point, which was bottom 6. I didn't and don't like the Palat contract, but it isn't that big of a deal and hasn't hindered us yet that I know of, so it's whatever

I just hate the idea that guys become absolute trash when they leave and it's ridiculous to talk about them because of how bad they are, but defend the same stuff that is currently on the team.

Are you saying people here should care about Colorado Avalanche playoff goals just as much as they care about Devils playoff goals?

Because they aren’t. So there’s that.

Wood isn’t trash but he had a worse regular season that Palat, he wasn’t going to get us into the playoffs to make all that magic happen.

And people “defending” Palat’s contract usually say roughly what you do, thry’re pushing back against people ranting about him when we’re definitely stuck with the guy right now.

Wood was a UFA, I don’t see the point of crying over that spilt milk.

Reactions: Guadana

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Nemec will be so much more valuable than Tkachuk, no one makes that trade. Not to mention cost controlled years given up and 8M+ for a guy who will be a third liner by the end of the deal? Nah. If they were to trade Bratt for him, we'd be a worse team.

The qualities you want from Tkachuk can be had every summer on July 1st. You just have to watch how much you pay for it.

Brady’s deal ends when he’s 27, why is he a 3rd liner by the end of the deal lol.

The dumb clip had Brady+Chabot for Nemec+Holtz.

Maybe Brady + Zub is better.

And there aren’t UFAs remotely equal to Brady on the market.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
oh i’ve seen plenty of that. ‘don’t trade 10OA for a 30 year old goalie’. as if we should be getting a young goalie we can grow into vs an established guy who can easily get this team to a playoff spot.

your position seems reasonable though.
We already have young goalies that are much farther along than any pick this year, I don't think most of the people advocating keeping pick 10 would draft a goalie with it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Brady’s deal ends when he’s 27, why is he a 3rd liner by the end of the deal lol.

A deal around Brady and Nemec is absurd. If I'm moving Nemec it's only in a deal for Anderson from Montreal.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Are you saying people here should care about Colorado Avalanche playoff goals just as much as they care about Devils playoff goals?

Because they aren’t. So there’s that.

Wood isn’t trash but he had a worse regular season that Palat, he wasn’t going to get us into the playoffs to make all that magic happen.

And people “defending” Palat’s contract usually say roughly what you do, thry’re pushing back against people ranting about him when we’re definitely stuck with the guy right now.

Wood was a UFA, I don’t see the point of crying over that spilt milk.
No, and I don't usually answer people who start a post with "are you saying," but I rarely see you say it.

I'm saying I strongly dislike when people need to pretend one thing is true and make sure the other one isn't. It's one thing to pretend in your own mind to protect yourself, but putting it out there in the world to disagree with other people is another thing.

Reactions: Guttersniped

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not that nobody wants the Thachuks, it's that nobody wants to move Bratt or Nemec for one. I mean if you're pearl-clutching on Casey or even Mercer that's taking it way too far. I have my doubts over the merits of Bratt > Brady straight up with all things being equal too but for a signed Brady it'd take more than even just Bratt I'd think.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

He'll be Palat-esque by 27. Just my opinion. I don't see a player with longevity.

Yes, no UFA with "grit n' jam" scores as much but we have guys who can score. I'd much rather have 2-3 guys at that total cap hit who play better defense and still provide truculence or whatnot on smaller deals.

And whatever the theoretical package would be, I'd never give up on 7-10 years of a 25 min/g top pair RHD for any winger, short of one of the top 10 players in the league which Brady will never be.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Maybe Lawson Crouse is less of a pipe dream power forward to target? He has a pretty nice contract for the next 3 years (4.3 AAV). A top 10 pick I think would be an overpay so I’m not sure what would work. I don’t think they’re looking to sell him though.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
We already have young goalies that are much farther along than any pick this year, I don't think most of the people advocating keeping pick 10 would draft a goalie with it.
by young goalie i didn’t mean one drafted this year, i meant the elusive young, elite, tradable goalie that people would deal 10 for. you know, mid twenties, .950 save percentage, hung like an ox, all that.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He'll be Palat-esque by 27. Just my opinion. I don't see a player with longevity.

Yes, no UFA with "grit n' jam" scores as much but we have guys who can score. I'd much rather have 2-3 guys at that total cap hit who play better defense and still provide truculence or whatnot on smaller deals.

And whatever the theoretical package would be, I'd never give up on 7-10 years of a 25 min/g top pair RHD for any winger, short of one of the top 10 players in the league which Brady will never be.

Palat was really productive at 29. Jamie Benn’s decline started at 29.

We aren’t talking about Milan Lucic here, Brady Tkachuk had a fantastic season while almost no one else on his team did.

He would give us an elite net front presence, that would add a critical element to our PP. He would be a great add.

But no matter what the “rumor boys” say, I don’t see Ottawa trading Brady anytime soon.

It took the Avs and Coyotes forever to trade Duchane and Chychrun after they asked for trades and the teams publicly agreed to do it.

So the debate is pretty meaningless. (Unless fantasy trades are important to you lol.)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Arnott yes

Sykora no..

I remember being on message boards then and a lot of Devil fans had animosity towards Sykora for not playing in the Carolina series in 2002.

People were saying that he sat out because of an ingrown toenail and blasting him pretty badly for not playing. He struggled in Anaheim the following year and Freisen was a playoff hero in 2003....I don't remember anyone freaking out over Sykora honestly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Sykora and Arnott trades would have been lit on HF, people would have accused Lou of losing it ten years before that was a ‘thing’

It was a different time entirely, so I don't think so. I mean, people were accusing Lou of losing it, but the team had been at or near the top of the standings for a half-decade, so they were few and far between, and team turnover was just way more of a thing - the Devils won the cup in 95 and 2000 and overhauled their forwards almost entirely over that time, only Brylin, Holik, and McKay were continuously on both teams, and really only those latter two.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I know a lot of you have a hate boner for chiclets because the idea of a podcast that doesn’t have 9-syllable statistics isn’t worth your time (and maybe a little bit because the hosts of chiclets remind you of the jocks in school who would stuff you in lockers) but dismissing them because they don’t take themselves too seriously is silly.

They’re all really, really well connected around the league. And while they don’t get everything right (who does?) they’re not nobodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad