Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It became about the core because of me and I think it's absurd to think adding a a few guys that play 12 to 14 minutes a night is going to change the complexion of the guys that play 15 to 20 minutes a night.

Our core is marshmallow soft and they are the guys playing 60% of the game.

None of our guys initiate contact and all of them take a beating...

The team was too soft with McLeod, Wood and Zetterlund and those players would be a significant upgrade to what we have today. But they don't change how soft our top 6 is and is always going be with Jack, Bratt, Nico and yes...with Meier as well.
What would be your solution then? The mythical Bratt for Brady Tkachuk trade?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It became about the core because of me and I think it's absurd to think adding a a few guys that play 12 to 14 minutes a night is going to change the complexion of the guys that play 15 to 20 minutes a night.

Our core is marshmallow soft and they are the guys playing 60% of the game.

None of our guys initiate contact and all of them take a beating...

The team was too soft with McLeod, Wood and Zetterlund and those players would be a significant upgrade to what we have today. But they don't change how soft our top 6 is and is always going be with Jack, Bratt, Nico and yes...with Meier as well.
You have to define your terms. I don’t see any of thr NJ core as soft. They don’t shy away or stop trying. That said they don’t initiate which would help. You can’t only judge them when they are broken and injured. The same soft players were great the year before and won a series in seven games against their biggest rival. Again, you can add a wing or two into the top six if you want. Beyond that most teams top six players include maybe one big physical player. The best team in the regular season has a soft top six and it didn’t stop them. The trend among top six players is slowly becoming more skilled and less physical.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Oh no, Jack, Nico, Bratt, or Meier will be out there most of the time. That’s so bad, and definitely a real thing that a person should be complaining about for some reason. This isn’t batshit crazy rambling.
A woman in a case my wife is handling just lost her seventh attorney.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think we need a lot

Wood and McLeod need to be replaced
The speed and sandpaper we lost there is tremendous. Lazar isn't the answer and should be an extra forward.

If Meier and Bratt are your top 2 RW's and Jack and Nico are your top 2 centers we need 2 LWs capable of playing with those players that can bring some sandpaper and physicality.

I'm really down on Palat maybe he has a bounce back year next year but I don't care what his defensive underlying numbers say 1 goal in his final 24 games is absolutely unacceptable. I really want him gone if I'm being honest.

I also think the defense has a number of problems also. Inexperienced being the biggest.. But again just like our forwards, I think our defenders lack sandpaper and physicality. I don't think it's as big of deal as our forwards but in total the problem gets compounded when no one can win physical battles.

I think too many believe it's just simple fix...add a goalie and a couple bottom 6 players and we're good to go...not even close.

The team lost a tremendous amount of pieces from last year

Severson, Graves, Wood, McLeod, Zetterlund, Boqvist, Tatar.... that's a tremendous amount of depth and different roles to lose.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think we need a lot

Wood and McLeod need to be replaced
The speed and sandpaper we lost there is tremendous. Lazar isn't the answer and should be an extra forward.

If Meier and Bratt are your top 2 RW's and Jack and Nico are your top 2 centers we need 2 LWs capable of playing with those players that can bring some sandpaper and physicality.

I'm really down on Palat maybe he has a bounce back year next year but I don't care what his defensive underlying numbers say 1 goal in his final 24 games is absolutely unacceptable. I really want him gone if I'm being honest.

I also think the defense has a number of problems also. Inexperienced being the biggest.. But again just like our forwards, I think our defenders lack sandpaper and physicality. I don't think it's as big of deal as our forwards but in total the problem gets compounded when no one can win physical battles.

I think too many believe it's just simple fix...add a goalie and a couple bottom 6 players and we're good to go...not even close.

The team lost a tremendous amount of pieces from last year

Severson, Graves, Wood, McLeod, Zetterlund, Boqvist, Tatar.... that's a tremendous amount of depth and different roles to lose.
It’s less about hitting guys since they doesn’t really make much of a difference. Hurting players on the other team matters.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
They'd have to send something much bigger than Casey back with that pick. It would have to be Nemec, Bratt, or even Nico. I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell it's anyone named Hughes but Ottawa isnt even listening if it's the 10th OA and Casey.
I agree we would definitely have to give up more but there's 0 chance we give up any of those players. The entire league knows those 3 are untouchable players from NJ. We would definitely have to part with Mercer that's for sure, 0 chance they don't ask for him combined with 10OA as the starting basis of a trade. They would be getting 10OA, Mercer, Casey, & if they asked for Holtz he can go also. I wouldn't want to give up all of that & would prefer to hold on to Casey or Holtz but if it meant we get Brady Tkachuk I would do it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Brady is one of the most overrated players in the league. Little to no interest in him, even less at a package that includes more than 10 and Casey.
How is he overrated? He's 24 years old and has improved his goal totals every year for the last 4 years.

2021 17 in 56 games 25 goal pace
2022 30 goals
2023 35 goals
2024 37 goals

I mean any player with 3 conservative 30 goal seasons is pretty dam good let alone one that is 24 years old.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If the trade works for both parties, I 100% would like Brady here. Jack needs an asshole on his wing, one who can also pot 30 a season.

Tkachuk Hughes Mercer
Meier Hischier Bratt
Palat Haula ???
Lazar ??? Bastian

Do it Lou

theguybro

Jul 26, 2021
Dakota Joshua from Vancouver. UFA at end of season . 27 years old , late bloomer , 6’3 200 pounds . 18g 14a 240+ hits this season. Plays C or W and PK . isn’t afraid to drop the gloves . Think he would be a perfect 3rd liner. Not sure what he would cost maybe > 3 mill per season . What about adding Hague or Mcnabb from Vegas. With Hanifin extension they are gonna have to move some pieces. Both are on one year deals under 3 million . Hague the younger player will be RFA after next season . All 3 of these players add some size and toughness we need.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If the trade works for both parties, I 100% would like Brady here. Jack needs an asshole on his wing, one who can also pot 30 a season.

Tkachuk Hughes Mercer
Meier Hischier Bratt
Palat Haula ???
Lazar ??? Bastian

Do it Lou
I wish....

But I thought Meier couldn't play on the left side?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Tkachuk Hughes Mercer
Meier Hischier Bratt
Palat Haula ???
Lazar ??? Bastian

Do it Lou
Could we fit another $8 million forward in? Seems like we'd have to go cheap on defense or in goal to make it work.

Although I guess we could always borrow one of Lou's hitters to kneecap Palat and put him on LTIR until the playoffs.:sarcasm:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I agree we would definitely have to give up more but there's 0 chance we give up any of those players. The entire league knows those 3 are untouchable players from NJ. We would definitely have to part with Mercer that's for sure, 0 chance they don't ask for him combined with 10OA as the starting basis of a trade. They would be getting 10OA, Mercer, Casey, & if they asked for Holtz he can go also. I wouldn't want to give up all of that & would prefer to hold on to Casey or Holtz but if it meant we get Brady Tkachuk I would do it.
Sure seems like a lot to give up.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Dakota Joshua from Vancouver. UFA at end of season . 27 years old , late bloomer , 6’3 200 pounds . 18g 14a 240+ hits this season. Plays C or W and PK . isn’t afraid to drop the gloves . Think he would be a perfect 3rd liner. Not sure what he would cost maybe > 3 mill per season . What about adding Hague or Mcnabb from Vegas. With Hanifin extension they are gonna have to move some pieces. Both are on one year deals under 3 million . Hague the younger player will be RFA after next season . All 3 of these players add some size and toughness we need.

Joshua is going to get a comparable contract to Mason Marchment a few years ago (4x4.5) at a minimum would be my guess.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
If Vegas beats Dallas and does it swiftly, do you guys think there’s a chance the Stars have a knee jerk reaction and whack DeBoer? If so, would you be interested in a Devils reunion?

There was a lot of smoke surrounding Sullivan in Pittsburgh but it looks to me like he will be back. I’d like to be wrong as he’d be a great fit for us.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I do not think Joshua is a guy we should add. We need speed just as much as grit.

IMG_1805.jpeg

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Tkachuk Hughes Mercer
Meier Hischier Bratt
Palat Haula ???
Lazar ??? Bastian

Do it Lou
I don't know if this is true, Toffoli can put up 30 and never puts his cart back in the corral after grocery shopping, just leaves it in an empty parking spot. And I don't think he was a good fit.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If Vegas beats Dallas and does it swiftly, do you guys think there’s a chance the Stars have a knee jerk reaction and whack DeBoer? If so, would you be interested in a Devils reunion?

There was a lot of smoke surrounding Sullivan in Pittsburgh but it looks to me like he will be back. I’d like to be wrong as he’d be a great fit for us.
i would take pdb back in a heartbeat

pdb.gif

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Would love Pete back here. Would easily be a top 2 option for me with Evason. I don't see any other candidates being close.

I don't think Dallas will cut bait with him after they finished at the top of the conference though.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

Yes I have beating this drum. I hope Vegas sweeps them and we bring PDB home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad