Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Mercer should just stay home and workout, work on his skating, etc.
I understand why guys especially young guys want to play for their country but the reality is every one heading there this week is on a team that failed to make the playoffs. I could make an argument that every single one should be getting in rest rehab and an exercise/skills program to help their NHL club next season.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
What?!?

"What do you think of Ullmark to Jersey for Nico Hischier?” :laugh:

At least Duhatschek has common sense:

"As for Ullmark to New Jersey for Hischier, I mean, the answer is a flat no.

Ullmark doesn’t have nearly that value. Hischier looks like an untouchable — in many ways, a young Kopitar. You’d be lucky to get Alexander Holtz for Ullmark in a trade with New Jersey. In the end, Ullmark might be fine going to L.A., provided the Kings extend his contract, which can’t happen until after July 1. He’s got a year left at $5 million."

My3Sons

Sponsor
What?!?

Ullmark doesn’t have nearly that value. Hischier looks like an untouchable — in many ways, a young Kopitar. You’d be lucky to get Alexander Holtz for Ullmark in a trade with New Jersey. In the end, Ullmark might be fine going to L.A., provided the Kings extend his contract, which can’t happen until after July 1. He’s got a year left at $5 million."

A starting goalie for a third line center? Are you kidding me? What moron surrenders a starter for a bottom six player?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm not saying I want to get out of either but if you had to pick, what deal would you rather get out of? Hamiltons or Palats?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm not saying I want to get out of either but if you had to pick, what deal would you rather get out of? Hamiltons or Palats?
Palat every day and twice on Sunday. Hamilton, assuming health, is an elite player capable of playing at or above a level commensurate with his AAV. Not sure he'll get back to that or for how long that is true, but a year ago he had one of the best defensive seasons in franchise history.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The summer of Fitz begins
I believe this signing happened a while ago. Here's a press release from March 2nd

Palat every day and twice on Sunday. Hamilton, assuming health, is an elite player capable of playing at or above a level commensurate with his AAV. Not sure he'll get back to that or for how long that is true, but a year ago he had one of the best defensive seasons in franchise history.
:eyeroll:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I believe this signing happened a while ago. Here's a press release from March 2nd

Fitz's Spring, the prequel to The Summer of Fitz

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Fitz's Spring, the prequel to The Summer of Fitz
maxresdefault.jpg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I understand why guys especially young guys want to play for their country but the reality is every one heading there this week is on a team that failed to make the playoffs. I could make an argument that every single one should be getting in rest rehab and an exercise/skills program to help their NHL club next season.
Not to mention Mercer seems to have been one of the few Devils not to suffer a serious injury this year, and we have six months before another game that matters, plenty of time to rest though I understand the hesitation with someone like Timo, HE could probably use the rest

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
What?!?

Again, I want no part of either Bruins goalie. Besides all the reasons I've mentioned before, neither of them have proven that they can be a #1 and carry the load. Not dropping all sorts of assets, time and money into a guy who's typical workload has been around 40 starts (this is Vitek-like).

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Reactions: nugg and JimEIV

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

:eyeroll:
Sorry, should I have said "seasons by a defenseman?"

I think my meaning was clear.

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Sponsor
Not to mention Mercer seems to have been one of the few Devils not to suffer a serious injury this year, and we have six months before another game that matters, plenty of time to rest though I understand the hesitation with someone like Timo, HE could probably use the rest
I don't see how you play 82 NHL games and emerged unscathed on some level. You have to be sore and bruised even if nothing is broken or torn. If you feel up to it and are enthusiastic about it I get it. Maybe it's the sort of thing they feel semi-obligated to do in order to have a shot at the olympics.

Reactions: Guadana

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm happy for anybody who wants to go, either to solidify or improve their chances at a real best on best roster, or just because they want to play meaningful hockey in the spring. Unless somebody needs surgery, there's plenty of time for recuperation and training, and I'm not gonna get on a guy who just wants to play more hockey.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sorry, should I have said "seasons by a defenseman?"

I think my meaning was clear.
Oh I don't know...I don't want to get into an argument about it....but I just don't think Dougie's season was all that great....at least in terms of All Time Devils.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well to be fair Lou went back to Lemaire like five months after ushering him out the door in 2010 :laugh:
Well I think that was Lemaire's choice that time. He was still under contract for the next year, which he later came back and honored, but he decided to retire in 2010.

It was 1998 where Lou ushered him out the door, and he kind of pretended to step down and I think claimed it was a mutual decision. Lou would have fired him if he hadn't stepped down that time. I don't think he would have in 2010. Not judging by the way he ran back to him about 30 games into the next season.

Reactions: JimEIV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad