Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think the weight room comments are pointed at specific players, though obviously some guys could use some more strength. What this team appears to be lacking by Fitzgerald's reckoning is a guy like Ken Daneyko, a fire-em-up sort of guy who is friendly with everyone on the club and gets everyone excited to work hard. Lazar appears to be the closest thing they have.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
What I get out of the weight room stuff is probably aimed at the slim dudes (Jack, Marino, Mercer, Sieges). Luke seems weak on battles but he does looks like he does workout. Needs that dude strength more. It will come for Luke.

Definitely not directed at Meier, Palat, Bratt and Nico.

Mercer even mentioned it in his exit interview that his focus is to get stronger, so he has to be one of the implicated.

Jack should really take it seriously as soon as he gets healed up enough to continue normal workouts.

I like that Fitz calling that out it's definitely true.
But on the flip side.... This is not new news. He's been here for X amount of years and couldn't communicate that earlier to the same core guys with Ruff around? A bit strange. You also have a strength and conditioning coach and somehow is not influential?

Same with the "Accountability" statements on the new coach. It's not like he wasnt around to influence anything. It seems a bit of deflection / signaling game to put the focus on the players vs his off-season changes.

Overall, a mixed feeling but at least he held a conference about this situation and did talk about some hotbutton items discussed all year here.

We all know Bratt, Meier and a few others will be doing some heavy off-season work as always.

Unless I’m imagining things, didn’t Fitz pull a Barry Horowitz and pat himself on the back saying he’s done a great job? Not a good look saying that after such a disastrous season. I do think there was a lot of deflection and not enough ownership on his part. I’d say that’s rather ironic considering he was preaching accountability.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Everybody has their own opinion on that but I don't care about being "professional" That nonsense has changed over the years anyway where facial hair, long hair and tattoos weren't "professional"

Personally I don't care what they wear off the bus or from their cars to the locker room. Almost every soccer team in the world just wears their training gear into the building and nobody cares. It certainly has absolutely no affect on what they do when they play.
It varies from place to place but I wouldn’t be comfortable showing up to a meeting or courtroom wearing sweats and unshaven. There is something to wearing professional clothing that does change the atmosphere a bit. It does suggest a serious attitude. I don’t expect it on a day to day basis but when it makes sense sure. My guess is that Fitz sees the team as hanging onto their young player status too long. St least for some of them. Hopefully they are healthy next season and play decent team defense and get some decent goaltending and the rest of it fades into the background.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think the weight room comments are pointed at specific players, though obviously some guys could use some more strength. What this team appears to be lacking by Fitzgerald's reckoning is a guy like Ken Daneyko, a fire-em-up sort of guy who is friendly with everyone on the club and gets everyone excited to work hard. Lazar appears to be the closest thing they have.
I wonder if this plays into him wanting to keep MacDermid around too.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_5287.jpeg

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Let's not go undefeated in the preseason.

I think I am on th side of those posters that just want to see some health return to the team and a reworking of the bottom six.

...and Smith on LW4 or off the team.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Fitz also said “it’s very different being an assistant coach than a HC,” or something to that extent. I may be inferring too much from that but I interpret it as, “Great assistant coach. Not so sure about HC material.” If Fitz isn’t on the hot seat, he’s close to being there. I would be shocked if he hitched his wagon to Green, who doesn’t exactly have a sterling reputation as a HC.

Green getting that trial run was probably the best thing that could have happened. It’ll be a tough to impossible sell to the fan base that he’s the guy to get the Devils to the next level. I just don’t see it. No reason to be panicked here IMHO.
I agree if he hires him and it starts bad in beginning of season Fitz knows he's screwed....Don't see Green being the guy....

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Cynically, yeah hiring Green just doesn't buy you any time. Teams start bad for a variety of reasons, not always controllable (Unless you think the Oilers magically started playing like one of the best teams in hockey with the exact same underlying stats).

But if you roll out Green and the team stumbles a bit through bad luck, you're gonna be on the hot seat way sooner than if you hired somebody from outside the org.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Now imagine the shitstorm if we keep Green, the Sabres hire Lindy and they whip us in the opener lol
I had about a week where I wanted to give Green a shot but no more.

I can honestly see the Sabres hiring Lindy and they surprise people next year... but next year only lol

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Full quote:

Kyle Dubas on Graves: "With Ryan, there's no dancing around it. He was a very good player in Colorado and New Jersey... He came in and from the beginning, I thought, 'it happens'. Did I expect it to go the whole year? No. Part of that is on us as an organization, but it's as much on Ryan to push and find his way through the summer. It's a massive summer for him. His strength, which will allow him to be more physical and make stops in the defensive zone, his mobility - he's going to have to push and really work on that. We have to arm him with the path to get there and he has to execute it relentlessly and if he can do that, he will get back to being the player he was when we signed him."

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Full quote:

Kyle Dubas on Graves: "With Ryan, there's no dancing around it. He was a very good player in Colorado and New Jersey... He came in and from the beginning, I thought, 'it happens'. Did I expect it to go the whole year? No. Part of that is on us as an organization, but it's as much on Ryan to push and find his way through the summer. It's a massive summer for him. His strength, which will allow him to be more physical and make stops in the defensive zone, his mobility - he's going to have to push and really work on that. We have to arm him with the path to get there and he has to execute it relentlessly and if he can do that, he will get back to being the player he was when we signed him."

Graves is a player that looks like he should be a defensive stopper but thinks the game more like an offensive defenseman which ends up with him being a weird hybrid guy that can disappoint and surprise you on both sides of the puck.

He’s a guy that you need to like for who he is rather than hope he becomes someone he isn’t. If Pitt hopes he retools himself into something new, I think they’re setting themselves up for disappointment.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I had about a week where I wanted to give Green a shot but no more.

I can honestly see the Sabres hiring Lindy and they surprise people next year... but next year only lol
I think he gets a job with the Sabres, he's lived there for almost 40 years and loves the area. I doubt it's head coach though. If they hire Ruff as HC then Pegula is publicly admitting that he made a mistake firing him, and that they've wasted the last decade hiring inferior replacements. I don't think his ego will allow that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think he gets a job with the Sabres, he's lived there for almost 40 years and loves the area. I doubt it's head coach though. If they hire Ruff as HC then Pegula is publicly admitting that he made a mistake firing him, and that they've wasted the last decade hiring inferior replacements. I don't think his ego will allow that.
Well to be fair Lou went back to Lemaire like five months after ushering him out the door in 2010 :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad