Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

:laugh: disingenuous read?

it's a dumb quote that lets the entire current roster off the hook. he's going to what, assign a coach's responsibility to some incoming UFA's? as i said, it's the dumbest fitz quote i've ever heard. feel free to disagree.
Let's them off the hook? I feel it's calling them out in a big way. Questions the leadership of the big guys, and the physical strength of the team as a whole.

Getting into the weight room I def think is pointed at Jack......but not just jack.

Team coach's have little control of players workout regiments, and no control over their offseason regiments, which is when players focus on getting physically stronger.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Let's them off the hook? I feel it's calling them out in a big way. Questions the leadership of the big guys, and the physical strength of the team as a whole.

Getting into the weight room I def think is pointed at Jack......but not just jack.

Team coach's have little control of players workout regiments, and no control over their offseason regiments, which is when players focus on getting physically stronger.
Literally Bratt seemslike the only to have added muscle the last two years. I would swear that mercer looked like he weighed less this year than last

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Everybody has Holtz gone, but I like the way he progressed yoy, and I like that he knows that he has more room to improve in those area's.

Also think part of the team's actions with Holtz is to get him to develop a more well rounded game. I feel there is some element that trading him now would be not letting the investment pay off.

Wouldn't be shocked if he was traded, wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Sometimes I'm embarrassed by this fan base. Some doofus on a FB page said we should just let Mercer walk, it wouldn't be a big loss bc he only had 33 points and was a -26 or whatever. You want to trade him, fine, but to say just let him walk is just stupid. There are so many of these ppl out there "representing" this team.
I hadnt listened to it in months but one of the guys on the Let’s Go Devils podcast said that the Devils should resign McDermid and Smith (as a forward), but one of them would need to play on the 3rd line :laugh:.

Shortly after, they mentioned how Rachel Doerrie is a friend of the Podcast and I’ve decided I was right in not listening for as long as I did.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Literally Bratt seemslike the only to have added muscle the last two years. I would swear that mercer looked like he weighed less this year than last
Mercer is definitely another guy who should be getting stronger. A scrappy undersized guy is cute when a guy is in their early 20's, but that type of player needs to back that up with physical strength at some point.

Sieg's is a big guy who just doesn't play physically and then got embarrassed when trying to stand up to Rempe. Marino was embarrassed by Miller. Nemec by Domi.

I've always thought the way to stand up to physical teams is to have your skill guys get more physical. Our guys haven't done that. So instead we had to go out and get a dud like MacDermid.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I hadnt listened to it in months but one of the guys on the Let’s Go Devils podcast said that the Devils should resign McDermid and Smith (as a forward), but one of them would need to play on the 3rd line :laugh:.

Shortly after, they mentioned how Rachel Doerrie is a friend of the Podcast and I’ve decided I was right in not listening for as long as I did.
As an aside to this.

Smith as a fwd, who then PK's on D, is very much an unorthodox move, but in it's short stint looked to have good results. Yet after that short experiment, we never tried it again, despite what looked like a viable defensive option in Hataaka in the wings.

Oddly Smith shows some offensive skills. And he brings toughness. He's not the heavy MacDermid is, but he's definitely a more useful player.

Given I liked the Foote, Nosek combo, and if Lazar was on the RW I think that's a pretty good 4th line, I'd rather not see either MacDermid or Smith as regulars, but as extra fwd's I wouldn't mind one of them.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
A few things that stood out to me from Fitz’ presser:

He mentioned the weight room multiple times. I thought it was an odd thing to say repeatedly. I’m wondering if that comment was aimed at Jack and Mercer. Fitz realizes this team needs to be harder to play against and this means being stronger on pucks. Implicitly questions commitment.

I think it was rather obvious that Green has no shot at getting this job. “I told Greenie I owe it to the team to look outside the organization. Travis knows this.” Sounds to me like he’s just being respectful. I mean, is he going to sh** on Green publicly? Of course not.

He made comments about becoming more mature on and OFF the ice. “You give an inch and they take a yard.” He even mentioned a lax dress code. I definitely got the impression he knows the culture has been way too loosey goosey and that he’s got to tighten the ship. Berube?

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

He mentioned the weight room multiple times. I thought it was an odd thing to say repeatedly. I’m wondering if that comment was aimed at Jack and Mercer. Fitz realizes this team needs to be harder to play against and this means being stronger on pucks. Implicitly questions commitment.

I think it was rather obvious that Green has no shot at getting this job. “I told Greenie I owe it to the team to look outside the organization. Travis knows this.” Sounds to me like he’s just being respectful. I mean, is he going to sh** on Green publicly? Of course not.

He made comments about becoming more mature on and OFF the ice. “You give an inch and they take a yard.” He even mentioned a lax dress code. I definitely got the impression he knows the culture has been way too loosey goosey and that he’s got to tighten the ship. Berube?

I mean, it's true - and when you're stronger you're less likely to get injured.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai

BABCOCK.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed by this fan base. Some doofus on a FB page said we should just let Mercer walk, it wouldn't be a big loss bc he only had 33 points and was a -26 or whatever. You want to trade him, fine, but to say just let him walk is just stupid. There are so many of these ppl out there "representing" this team.
Your first mistake is being on any Devils fanpage on Facebook. 233 Crazies, Fans of the New Jersey Devils.... all scumlicking shitlords.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Fitz calling out something that annoyed me all season. I like that.

Hey if Fitz wants to put his foot down, by all means...but he was PART of that culture all year long, specifically calling Holtz out alone and ultimately doing nothing when two coaches enacted 'selective accountability', so he was either culpable passively or actively.

Either way, things have to change and it starts with him, so it's good to hear him say that but the proof will be in the pudding next year and with the coach hire.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Hey if Fitz wants to put his foot down, by all means...but he was PART of that culture all year long, specifically calling Holtz out alone and ultimately doing nothing when two coaches enacted 'selective accountability' so he was either culpable passively or actively.

Either way, things have to change and it starts with him, so it's good to hear him say that but the proof will be in the pudding next year and with the coach hire.
Fitzy acknowledged it himself he got lax and maybe gave too much rope this season and the players took a mile from the inches he gave them. Look at the guys who regressed and it's likely who he's talking about

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Novo's just being like Rich Cimini with the Jets and looking to stir the pot

I think based on what we know and what Fitz has said, he is right.

Green was hired to be the heir apparant to Ruff. The only thing that is keeping him from being named HC right this second is how badly the season went sideways.

If we were even a little bit more competitive down the stretch, he is most likely named HC today.

But even then he is still probably on Fitz's short list and has strong odds of ending up the HC.

There is no reason to assume Fitz is being coy or lying about how much he likes and respects Green.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Green was hired to be the heir apparant to Ruff. The only thing that is keeping him from being named HC right this second is how badly the season went sideways.

If we were even a little bit more competitive down the stretch, he is most likely named HC today.

But even then he is still probably on Fitz's short list and has strong odds of ending up the HC.

There is no reason to assume Fitz is being coy or lying about how much he likes and respects Green.
Sideways?

I think Green was brought in with the thinking Ruff was going to be hear awhile.

Brunette was the likely heir apparent hire.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007

Interesting 🤔

Reactions: longislanddevil

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

This is all speculation though.

Green may have been hired to be the heir apparent to Ruff if he continued to coach through our team having success. But it’s clear they bottomed out. And his results behind the bench weren’t anything to write home about either.

Green getting to plead his case is the courteous move to make. But if Fitz is casting a wide net for the position, I think that lessens the likelihood of Green being the full time hire considerably.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
The only "good" thing Green did was show how poorly Lindy utilized Timo. That's literally it, nothing else got better.

Does that change with a training camp under Green ? Maybe. I'd rather not find out..

But the coaching options are really slim.. I don't see Fitzy going with a rookie and Berube's system doesn't fit this roster at all even if he is the support authoritarian/accountability guy Fitzy may be looking for.

It might end up being Green.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He may want a coach with experience (he basically all but said he did) and that keeps Green on the periphery of the mix but there'll be other coaches out there more accomplished that have experience.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Green doesn't check all the boxes....and if you get in the weight room you have to put in the work and not just check boxes....but before we hire another coach we'll check all the boxes. We have all the talent that checks all the boxes too.

Maybe we just need new boxes?

Reactions: glenwo2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is all speculation though.

Green may have been hired to be the heir apparent to Ruff if he continued to coach through our team having success. But it’s clear they bottomed out. And his results behind the bench weren’t anything to write home about either.

Green getting to plead his case is the courteous move to make. But if Fitz is casting a wide net for the position, I think that lessens the likelihood of Green being the full time hire considerably.

They absolutely did bottom out, but what we judge as important and what management does doesn't always line up.

It happens a lot with roster choices. We all know Smith is a replacement level player but coaching and management felt he brought some needed intangible.

MacDermid is getting a contract based solely on some intangible Fitz sees in him that doesn't exist on the stat sheet or the eye test.

Point being there isn't a good reason to dismiss what Fitz is saying at this time. It's entirely possible and even likely he is being honest that he thinks Green is a good coach that did good things and deserves a legit shot at coaching this team again.

I'll be comfortable that Green is a goner when he is actually gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad