Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah. I dont want Brodeur as GM at all. He was great goalie, thanks for his career, etc. But no general manager work please for him. Its better to stay in decorative role.
I have no emotional attachment to him as a front office/post playing figure.

Just like I have no emotional attachment to Scott Stevens the coach.

Reactions: Saugus and Guadana

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
- I don’t care about fan perspectives, if fan perspectives drove organizational decision making on assistant coaches there would be a much larger problem. It’s a classic case of rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

If you don’t care about fans’ perspectives, I have some bad news for you about what you’ll find on this board.

Last edited:

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
There is also a reality where Holtz tops out as a streaky goal scorer that is a replacement level passenger in all other departments where as Markstrom provides good enough goaltending at a price that leaves both cap space and assets to address the other holes in the roster (of which there are quite a few)

Not wrong. He could become like Mike Hoffman. But I still don’t move that type of current asset for a goalie that old.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just don’t see how Markstrom can justifiably cost a big price. I’ve been saying this for a bit now. And if the ask is something costly, then no way I’m doing it. That is why I still think it might be the most likely acquisition - he’s 34 years old or whatever it is, makes $6 million on top of his age, his numbers since the deadline fiasco have been meh, he is owed a sizable bonus on July 1 (assuming a deal is done prior to that, the acquiring team would be on the hook) and he has a NMC. I could be totally wrong, but I just don’t see a high cost. Unless they just hang onto him because offers aren’t high value, which idk how that would go over with him. Plus if Fitz pays something stupid (i.e. anything involving Holtz, a 1st round pick, etc), it’s an absolute debacle.
Sub .900 over the last 2 seasons in 100 something games played. I think here too could be a case where a goalie's numbers are skewed due to team play, and in this case because of a rift with mgmt, but I think given the last 2 seasons, and his age, I think there is limited upside there. There is certainly limited upside in terms of longevity post trade.

If Holtz goes the other way it will most likely be in exchange for significant money retained,

Yup. Could see it happening straight up like the Schneider deal.
Schneider was so much better and younger. If that is the comparison, the 10th is WAY too much.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While it’s true there’s no goalie on the level of Schneider for trade this year, the Nucks were getting savaged on that trade for taking a lesser deal when the Oilers were willing to pay even more. I don’t think you get out of a major goalie trade without dealing #10, even if just for a later pick swap. And if we don’t then we’re likely coughing up a 2 for freaking Jake Allen lol

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Schneider was so much better and younger. If that is the comparison, the 10th is WAY too much.

Glad to see smart man. 10th pick is a fair asset in swayman, wallstedt, askarov, may be I forgot about someone - they are young, very talented, in controlling situation. Not in one years away from UFA in their 30s.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Glad to see smart man. 10th pick is a fair asset in swayman, wallstedt, askarov, may be I forgot about someone - they are young, very talented, in controlling situation. Not in one years away from UFA in their 30s.
Before you say such things, be aware I'm OK going with Allen and Kahk next year.

I really don't understand the Devils not giving Kahk more of a run to end the year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I hope he gets qualified and comes into camp fully healthy. It's a shame he lost virtually an entire year of development and progress. I still think he has the tools to be a useful player.
Ability to stay healthy is the biggest concern, 2nd time in 4 pro seasons he missed a big chunk of games. Also missed a bunch of games his last year in Juniors.

But otherwise I'm penciling him in on our 4th line next year. Think there is some potential to move up a line as well.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i hope we hang onto foote, he looked perfectly fine for a bottom 6 role and his shot is good enough to score a few.

i’m still of the belief that we just need *average* goaltending so long as we have a good team structure and our stars don’t get injured again. we have a top 10 if not top 5 level of talent in the league, our 2 young d should show marked improvement next season both from growth and from slotting into more suitable roles, and we just need to have a coach that can give them tools to succeed - a winning strategy, tough love when needed to rein in risky/immature play, and can prepare them to start on time each night.

yes a star goalie seems like *the* missing piece but you take most star goalies and put them in front of this squad this year and they’re still not winning consistently

Reactions: forceten

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Ability to stay healthy is the biggest concern, 2nd time in 4 pro seasons he missed a big chunk of games. Also missed a bunch of games his last year in Juniors.

But otherwise I'm penciling him in on our 4th line next year. Think there is some potential to move up a line as well.

Foote's ability to stay healthy is definitely questionable but he likely didn't miss any games in 2020-21, that was the season of the shortened AHL year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad