Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seriously you guys are here calling for Green’s head and public embarrassment so it will make you feel better.

Some people really need to learn some empathy - I’d have far more questions about the type of people running this organization if they acted as callous as suggested. Green is not going to be the coach here.
Empathy for what? Why do I need to give Green empathy? I don’t think he should be executed while walking to his car after a game. I don’t think he should be publicly hung. I don’t think he should be assaulted or harassed while walking down the street.

What should we have empathy for? That he’s losing his job? It probably won’t be very hard for him to find another assistant coaching job in the league this offseason. So it’s not like he’s gonna be broke.

And that’s if he’s not somehow still under contract with the Canucks for next year. They probably only gave him three years and this was the third year.

Oh, and if he was still under contract with us next year, he still gets paid no matter what he’s doing next year.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's no need to fire Green, he's an assistant coach and it's perfectly fine for him to be an assistant coach next year (I mean it's not, we can definitely find an upgrade over him, but it's not the end of the world if he's back as an assistant next season).

He will not be the head coach, but we have to go through this whole public song and dance because head coach candidates are watching how Fitz talks about his guys. If Green gets publicly blamed scapegoated, why would any coach want to come here? Every word that a GM says in public is a performance.

If Green feels like not getting the job is a demotion, well he's wrong, but that's totally fine and he's welcome to leave on his own terms. But he's more than likely under contract.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
There's no need to fire Green, he's an assistant coach and it's perfectly fine for him to be an assistant coach next year (I mean it's not, we can definitely find an upgrade over him, but it's not the end of the world if he's back as an assistant next season).

He's gotta go, absolutely unacceptable to just accept medicority.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
They said Hynes system was too complicated..

They said Ruff's system was too loose.

They said Green was just bad.

They said it was the goalies

They said it was the scoring

They said it was the defense

Hmmm?

When the team can't complete one crisp, no hesitation, tape-to-tape pass, none of the above matters.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Empathy for what? Why do I need to give Green empathy? I don’t think he should be executed while walking to his car after a game. I don’t think he should be publicly hung. I don’t think he should be assaulted or harassed while walking down the street.

What should we have empathy for? That he’s losing his job? It probably won’t be very hard for him to find another assistant coaching job in the league this offseason. So it’s not like he’s gonna be broke.

And that’s if he’s not somehow still under contract with the Canucks for next year. They probably only gave him three years and this was the third year.

Oh, and if he was still under contract with us next year, he still gets paid no matter what he’s doing next year.

This is my point exactly - I don't think anyone here would love their Boss getting fired due to poor performance, getting handed a sinking ship, and having management blast you while you are trying to finish out a year. Just because the dude is a hockey coach and not a sales professional doesn't mean its OK to to publicly humiliate the guy.

Reactions: My3Sons

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I hated them, seeing blue on our jerseys probably took 5 years off my life.

My biggest complaint about all the jerseys we have now is if you go back and watch the 2012 run the stands were almost all red jerseys. Now we have all these red/green variations, the black 3rds and the awful wonder bread jerseys and now the stadium series(which are red at least)

I just miss how united our stands use to look and now it's just a mess of different colors.

THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Seriously you guys are here calling for Green’s head and public embarrassment so it will make you feel better.

Some people really need to learn some empathy - I’d have far more questions about the type of people running this organization if they acted as callous as suggested. Green is not going to be the coach here.
I always chuckle when people frame these coaching situations this way. These guys are not actually losing their livelihoods, they are on contracts that will guarantee they get paid a salary that puts them in the top 5% of earners on this planet even when they get "fired". The idea that Fitz owes Green an interview "just because" regardless of his horrendous history and performance, and that otherwise dismisisng him immediately is "callous", is absurd. Literally millions of people who live paycheck to paycheck get unceremoniously dismissed from their jobs every year, for no good reason whatsoever other than to make the rich richer...that's how 95% of modern corporations operate, but the immediate firing of a sports coach whose career earning are millions is the thing that would make you wonder about the type of people running this organization?

What makes me wonder about the type of people running this team is how little accountability seems to be on display.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
guy was an assistant for one season and interim coach for 1/4 of it and it was the most disappointing season in devils history from an expectations standpoint. we don’t owe him anything.

sure, give him an interview. if he somehow impressed fitz more than any other candidate then fitz is going to be on very thin ice and i’ll say any goodwill or confidence he earned from last season will be just about gone

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017

Uh... where were you when they were chanting "Fire Lindy"?

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I always chuckle when people frame these coaching situations this way. These guys are not actually losing their livelihoods, they are on contracts that will guarantee they get paid a salary that puts them in the top 5% of earners on this planet even when they get "fired". The idea that Fitz owes Green an interview "just because" regardless of his horrendous history and performance, and that otherwise dismisisng him immediately is "callous", is absurd. Literally millions of people who live paycheck to paycheck get unceremoniously dismissed from their jobs every year...that's how 95% of modern corporations operate, but the immediate firing of a sports coach whose career earning are millions is the thing that would make you wonder about the type of people running this organization?

What makes me wonder about the type of people running this team is how little accountability seems to be on display.

You're right - totally cool to publicly embarrass someone just because he is still getting paid, money solves everything and these guys are only working in the NHL because they want the paycheck. and Obviously, because it happens to other people we should should totally cool with it happening everywhere, instead of expecting people to be treated with dignity everywhere.

I know that the internet disconnects people from society as much as it connects us to other people, but it would be nice if we weren't wishing the worst on someone who's sole fault is that he wasn't a good enough hockey coach to save a sinking ship.

and firing Green isn't accountability -that's what you are missing, it's just your pound of flesh.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
You're right - totally cool to publicly embarrass someone just because he is still getting paid, money solves everything and these guys are only working in the NHL because they want the paycheck. and Obviously, because it happens to other people we should should totally cool with it happening everywhere, instead of expecting people to be treated with dignity everywhere.

I know that the internet disconnects people from society as much as it connects us to other people, but it would be nice if we weren't wishing the worst on someone who's sole fault is that he wasn't a good enough hockey coach to save a sinking ship.

and firing Green isn't accountability -that's what you are missing, it's just your pound of flesh.

Do you honestly think Green gives 2 shits that the fans are dealing with a 9% increase for a team that missed the playoffs because there's no way anyone can honestly say that with a straight face.

I sure a shit don't think he does and he was a bad assistant coach and bad coach for the team this year. The whole coaching staff deserves to be shown the door, that clown Jake Reynolds deserves it too.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Do you honestly think Green gives 2 shits that the fans are dealing with a 9% increase for a team that missed the playoffs? Cause I sure a shit don't think he does and he was a bad assistant coach and bad coach for the team this year. The whole coaching staff deserves to be shown the door, that clown Jake Reynolds deserves it too.

I mean if you want to go that route, do you think that people who don't know when their next meal is coming give a shit about hockey fans having to pay a little bit more for season tickets to watch a game?

its all relative.

its fine to want Green fired. We don't need to wish him to be murdered or never work again or whatever some of you guys are on about.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

His being fired immediately is a public embarrassment? It’s literally a common occurrence. What the heck are you talking about?

Of course it’s accountability…green was part of a coaching staff that oversaw one of the biggest failures of a season relative to expectations in franchise history…he is part of the problem, there is no denying it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I mean if you want to go that route, do you think that people who don't know when their next meal is coming give a shit about hockey fans having to pay a little bit more for season tickets to watch a game?

its all relative.

its fine to want Green fired. We don't need to wish him to be murdered or never work again or whatever some of you guys are on about.

Of course it's all relative but we aren't talking about the world's problems we are talking about our hockey team and the price increases means we should have higher standards for this team so the price increases are relative to the teams performance.

Personally I don't give two f***s about Green and him being "embarrassed" by getting fired today when he showed absolutely nothing that he is suitable for a job as a head coach or assistant coach and the NHL is a revolving door of the same coaches everywhere so he'll probably be with a different NHL team next season anyway. Hell if Johnny Mac can still be a coach in the NHL then pretty much everyone can get a rebound coaching job there. It's a whole boys club of who you know.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

This fight over internet rhetoric is over and empathy lost, that fight was over 20+ years ago at least. Just look who says stuff you find offensive or embarrassing and remember instead of chastising all of us like a schoolmarm. None of the people in the front office are our friends and most of thse organizations just see us as walking money bags.

Any public figure by 2024 must realize there's people out there going to say dumb mean stuff about them, and they really shouldn't read any social media/message board. Part of the job.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Of course it's all relative but we aren't talking about the world's problems we are talking about our hockey team and the price increases means we should have higher standards for this team so the price increases are relative to the teams performance.

Personally I don't give two f***s about Green and him being "embarrassed" by getting fired today when he showed absolutely nothing that he is suitable for a job as a head coach or assistant coach and the NHL is a revolving door of the same coaches everywhere so he'll probably be with a different NHL team next season anyway. Hell if Johnny Mac can still be a coach in the NHL then pretty much everyone can get a rebound coaching job there. It's a whole boys club of who you know.
I don't think that's really what's at issue. What I'm taking from this is there is a contingent of fans who want Green yelled at and mocked and for Fitz to make public statements about Green and some other coaches about how bad they were. For example, @Bleedred wants Fitz to chain Rogalski to a desk and beat him repeatedly with a large coffee table book titled "Zen and the Art of Goalie Coaching" before telling him he sucks and he's fired and kicking him over and over again as Rogalski runs out of the building. In contrast, some others just want to do what Buffalo did and quietly relieve all the coaches of their duties with a simple release and internally give them a five minute exit interview and thank them for their efforts and tell them you know it was a tough situation and you know they are good coaches and that's why it's unfortunate the organization had to make a change. They get it. These coaches aren't stupid but they do want to be treated as people who cared and tried. I don't think anyone is advocating they should be kept on or somehow treated with kid gloves.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Do you honestly think Green gives 2 shits that the fans are dealing with a 9% increase for a team that missed the playoffs because there's no way anyone can honestly say that with a straight face.

I sure a shit don't think he does and he was a bad assistant coach and bad coach for the team this year. The whole coaching staff deserves to be shown the door, that clown Jake Reynolds deserves it too.

I can't even begin to comprehend how Green and ticket prices are in any way related.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
His being fired immediately is a public embarrassment? It’s literally a common occurrence. What the heck are you talking about?

Of course it’s accountability…green was part of a coaching staff that oversaw one of the biggest failures of a season relative to expectations in franchise history…he is part of the problem, there is no denying it.

Let me ask you a question - what does a public firing of an interim head coach accomplish? He was an interim HC that took over a struggling team and they continued to struggle - he got dealt an awful hand and was forced to play it out. He isn't a good coach, but he won't be the head coach here next year.

You have rabbled on about "accountability", but firing two coaches in one season seems like you are blaming the coaching for all the problems, not your own work and how the players played.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes