Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
The only skater that looks palatable here is DeBrusk.
Zadorov, March, and Duclair seem on point. Maybe Kahkonen too given he’ll probably be a 1b next year. The others all seem like 1 year or $1m more than I would offer.

I’d consider bringing on Zadorov for that price. Basically becomes the new Ryan Graves and you pair him with Marino for tough assignments. You’d probably need to find someone to take Siegs (cap) or Bahl (roster spot, duplicative) to make room for that. Not sure it moves the needle much though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Assuming we trade for markstrom and sign Mercer, that's probably over half of the available cap space we have for next year with a 16 man roster? So we probably have one free agent "splash" in us or a couple of modest signings?

Not sure I want to spend a "splash" on a guy like Zadorov.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
With Zadorov, love the player, but given he has been maybe Vancouver's best D overall thus in their series, playing bigger mins & really elevating his presence, his price is skyrocketing.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not considering the Devils cap situation, because I haven’t really given a thought about next year+ yet, but Marchessault at 6.25 for “only” 3 years seems like a risk worth taking.

Reactions: minibrodeur

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
DuClair would be a solid step back to speed that kills!!!
DuClair looks to be going onto his 9th team at 28 years old. That’s a major red flag that goes beyond whether his play away from the puck is bad or not.

There is some reason that teams that have him appear to become more interested in a future without him than with him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's hard to project the available cap space for NJ without knowing what the increases will be in the next few years but my guess is that the team will want to extend Luke long term and that contract is probably worth at least $8 mil per in AAV. If Nemec takes a step forward next season his extension could be fairly expensive as well. Those two alone could take up a sizable portion of any unused cap space. I'm sure the analytics folks have looked at this but I'm skeptical the team adds an impact player in the next year beyond a goalie.

Reactions: Oneiro

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I think there will be a Zadorov bidding war and he’ll come at a price above that. If he doesn’t though I’m on board at that contract.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
It's hard to project the available cap space for NJ without knowing what the increases will be in the next few years but my guess is that the team will want to extend Luke long term and that contract is probably worth at least $8 mil per in AAV. If Nemec takes a step forward next season his extension could be fairly expensive as well. Those two alone could take up a sizable portion of any unused cap space. I'm sure the analytics folks have looked at this but I'm skeptical the team adds an impact player in the next year beyond a goalie.
I think this is why we tried so hard for retention on Markstrom. Gives us room to get an impact player and resign Luke. The cap increases are expected for a to happen for a minimum 2 consecutive seasons now that the escrow debt will be all paid up. Haula's contract is up when Nemec is due, if thats still not enough room for him, I can see us trying to get out of Palats last year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad