Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hofer take is interesting. I don't know Hofer much at all, but I could see 6'5" 179lbs goalie having some serious speed advantage compared to the other big goalies. Checked some highlights and while he does look bit rookie in them, the physical advantage is something that might take him far.

What goes to Sharks. If guys like Kunin and Granlund get themselves fixed, and Vlasic finds some spark, they might not be that horrible. While the defense might be horrible, I'm thinking both goalies Kähkönen & Blackwood will do their job well.
Vlasic hasn’t had spark (or fuel) in about 5-6 years now. He’s literally been broken down and rotting in someone’s front yard for that long now.

The only job Blackwood does well is being terrible. I’m thinking at best he posts similar numbers with the Sharks as he did with the Devils the last 3 years. And he’s never played behind a team this bad at the NHL level before. He could wind up being sub-.890% behind that team like Kahkonen was last year.

There’s a good chance Kahkonen isn’t as bad as he was last year (which was worse than Blackwood has ever been) but I also don’t think he’s good and was buoyed by Minnesota. The same team that made Talbot and Stalock look good, last year’s MAF look passable and Dubnyk look borderline elite in his earlier years there.

As far as Hofer goes, I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes Binnington’s job (as YouTuber Graviteh predicted he would in that video), but I’m also skeptical that St. Louis lets that happen and stops making Binnington happen. That could wind up going on a bit longer, much like LA wouldn’t stop making Quick happen until the last year he played there where he was unplayable.

Hofer may be able to unseat Binnington, but St. Louis very well may not allow that to happen.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’m hoping both are there. Nemec was there last year. Hughes wasn’t because of NCAA so I’m hoping he is there. What makes you think there won’t be a lot to see?

Because I don't think either guy will be there and most of the Devils prospects are either in Europe or the NCAAs. So it's basically Filmon and the guys in the AHL who will be going.

I'd be very surprised if Hughes went. He didn't attend development camp and he will be on the team to start the year - there's no need to stick him in with the prospects. Nemec, I'm less sure of - the more I think about it, the more I can see them naming him 'captain' or whatever and putting him in the tournament. I dunno.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Vlasic hasn’t had spark (or fuel) in about 5-6 years now. He’s literally been broken down and rotting in someone’s front yard for that long now.

The only job Blackwood does well is being terrible. I’m thinking at best he posts similar numbers with the Sharks as he did with the Devils the last 3 years. And he’s never played behind a team this bad at the NHL level before. He could wind up being sub-.890% behind that team like Kahkonen was last year.

There’s a good chance Kahkonen isn’t as bad as he was last year (which was worse than Blackwood has ever been) but I also don’t think he’s good and was buoyed by Minnesota. The same team that made Talbot and Stalock look good, last year’s MAF look passable and Dubnyk look borderline elite in his earlier years there.

As far as Hofer goes, I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes Binnington’s job (as YouTuber Graviteh predicted he would in that video), but I’m also skeptical that St. Louis lets that happen and stops making Binnington happen. That could wind up going on a bit longer, much like LA wouldn’t stop making Quick happen until the last year he played there where he was unplayable.

Hofer may be able to unseat Binnington, but St. Louis very well may not allow that to happen.
Some teams seem to act as cap warehouse for other teams. Buffalo was one for a long time, Arizona is and Shark seem to be ones as well. Maybe not a coincidence.

If Blackwood doesn't find the spark, he is out of the NHL before even hitting his prime, that's why I'm thinking he will do a "good" job there. It looks likely he won't be getting 92% saves in a team like that, but he could still show up and give people a show. He's not my my go to goalie either, but I still believe in new beginnings.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I saw this interview with Blackwood for his first "media availability" with San Jose, it didn't look like McKenzie at all... kinda looked fat too.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Because I don't think either guy will be there and most of the Devils prospects are either in Europe or the NCAAs. So it's basically Filmon and the guys in the AHL who will be going.

I'd be very surprised if Hughes went. He didn't attend development camp and he will be on the team to start the year - there's no need to stick him in with the prospects. Nemec, I'm less sure of - the more I think about it, the more I can see them naming him 'captain' or whatever and putting him in the tournament. I dunno.
Jack played though. Many of their top prospects have played. We’ll see. Just hope they release it soon

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I saw this interview with Blackwood for his first "media availability" with San Jose, it didn't look like McKenzie at all... kinda looked fat too.

I think he looks way better and cleaned up.

I didn’t think he looked fat, but definitely bulkier than I remember here. But we also don’t get to see him in a T-shirt like that all that often.

He’s listed at 225 pounds, which is pretty normal for an NHL player/goalie at his listed height of 6 foot 4.

I’m sure he was listed at a lower weight when he first played in the NHL, as he was younger and probably hadn’t built as much muscle yet.

Although there are some very skinny goalies, like 6 foot 7 and 207 pound Jacob Markstrom, who I’m pretty sure I remember being listed at only 180-something about 5 or 6 years ago.

6 foot 2 inch and 182 pound Bobrovsky is another one of the more famously thin goalies.

Matt Murray at 6 foot 5 and 203 pounds is another, but he was listed at 178 pounds back when he won those cups. That’s even thinner than the most famously skinny goalie of the last 20-something years in 6 foot 2 and 168 pound Ryan Miller, when accounting 5 pounds per inch.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Jack played though. Many of their top prospects have played. We’ll see. Just hope they release it soon

Jack played coming out of his draft. Luke was drafted 2+ years ago and has already played NHL games. I'm not saying Luke definitely won't play, but I can see why they would hold him out of these games where he is already way above everyone's level.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood is gone. Let it go. Stop posting about him in here please.
I was posting a video from a youtuber that I follow that was making 10 bold predictions for the season. One of which were the Sharks finishing dead last, due to how horrible their defense was and goaltending.

He had some amusing comments about a couple of their defensemen and the two goalies. I was more amused by his comments about Vlasic and Rutta than I was his comments on Kahkonen and Blackwood. Vlasic has been an absolutely horrific defenseman for about 5 or 6 years now. It's kind of sad and hard to believe that he was once arguably up there with Drew Doughty in their primes.

But because I know you always had such an issue with me bringing him up (which I did a lot, to be fair to you) and have criticized my goals reviews and softy of the nights, as well as had an issue with Schmid's game against the Panthers where he allowed 3 goals on 40 shots back in March (remember, I take license plates), I may just piss the last remaining ticks of the offseason away by doing a Devils top-10 softies of the year 2022-2023, which will feature a whole lot Mackenzie ''He's going to bounce back'' Blackwood. Don't worry, I'm sure there's a couple Vanecek goals on there.

There definitely weren't many from Schmid (though I think I counted him with 6 or 7 stoppable in the regular season, phone is charging, so can't comfirm exact number) as he didn't allow too many horrible goals and by all metrics he didn't allow many low danger goals at all, and I would say my softy of the night goals are almost always on what would be considered low danger shots on the goalie, if not an error (giveaway or puck playing gaffe) caused directly by the goalie himself.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I downloaded Mozilla like @Nubmer6 suggested. It'll do, but it could be better. It sort of runs like close to old school dial up levels of internet. I had to download an old version because the current version is not supported by windows 8, which is what I have.

Remember, this is a computer from 2014. I’m lucky it still runs.

I can still type my 50 words a minute. I lost about 10% battery making that post about goalie weights earlier, before I downloaded the new browser.

LOAD A NEW BROWSER.
I was actually in the middle of typing this before I saw this post from you.

By the way, that was 7 goals I counted stoppable regular season for Schmid, 5 in the playoffs. Both were a lower (better) percentage than the average I counted around the league in both regular season and playoffs.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'd be stunned if either Luke or Simon are at that thing

Jack Hughes went to it.

I don’t remember any prospects who didn’t play in the NHL, and were available, but were considered “too good” for this.

If we don’t have Luke and Simon, we probably shouldn’t bother showing up because the only team the remaining prospects/AHL players are capable of running with is Boston.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Jack Hughes went to it.

I don’t remember any prospects who didn’t play in the NHL, and were available, but were considered “too good” for this.

If we don’t have Luke and Simon, we probably shouldn’t bother showing up because the only team the remaining prospects/AHL players are capable of running with is Boston.

I would expect Nemec to play. I’d have Luke skip it but to me thr more interesting question is whether they make Thompson play. This is probably his last chance with NJ.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I would expect Nemec to play. I’d have Luke skip it but to me thr more interesting question is whether they make Thompson play. This is probably his last chance with NJ.

AHL guys typically play, that’s how they fill out the line-up.

I don’t see how Thompson doesn’t play. They need four centers, and have zero center prospects, so he seems like a must.

And dear god, Buffalo and Montreal are going to skate circles around the team we ice if Hughes and Nemec don’t play.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Jack Hughes went to it.

Jack went in his draft year though didnt he?

I feel like its a little bit different for Luke or Nemec

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I don’t see how Thompson doesn’t play. They need four centers, and have zero center prospects, so he seems like a must.

And dear god, Buffalo and Montreal are going to skate circles around the team we ice if Hughes and Nemec don’t play.

Meh. It’s a prosect warm up round robin. As long as no one gets hurt. Right now NJ prospects are spread out with lots of guys in Europe and lots of guys in college. I’m not trading places with any of those other teams because of prospects.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Thompson wasn't there last season and I don't think he was hurt - I think he was ineligible, as he's off an ELC.

I expect several of their centers to be invitees - the team needs centers anyway so they might invite real prospects.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Meh. It’s a prosect warm up round robin. As long as no one gets hurt. Right now NJ prospects are spread out with lots of guys in Europe and lots of guys in college. I’m not trading places with any of those other teams because of prospects.

I’m just making an observation about the prospect tournament. Buffalo’s prospect and AHL depth is incredible. Montreal has a ton of guys too.

And we’re going to have Chase Stillman at center lol.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Jack played coming out of his draft. Luke was drafted 2+ years ago and has already played NHL games. I'm not saying Luke definitely won't play, but I can see why they would hold him out of these games where he is already way above everyone's level.
Yeah. Who knows. Holtz played last year as well and at that point had played more games than Luke has this year and both were high draft picks. Either way, I hope they hurry and release it.
Thompson wasn't there last season and I don't think he was hurt - I think he was ineligible, as he's off an ELC.

I expect several of their centers to be invitees - the team needs centers anyway so they might invite real prospects.
There are guys that don’t even sign their entry-level contract that still play

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Jack went in his draft year though didnt he?

I feel like its a little bit different for Luke or Nemec
Nemec was there last year And most likely will be there this year. Luke wasn’t there last year because he was with Michigan and probably the same reason why Casey won’t play. And Jack was there his draft year. Trust me they were a lot of fans pissed off he didn’t play the Saturday.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah. Who knows. Holtz played last year as well and at that point had played more games than Luke has this year and both were high draft picks. Either way, I hope they hurry and release it.

They probably won't. Last year they released the roster on Wednesday for Friday's game.

There are guys that don’t even sign their entry-level contract that still play

Yes, obviously those players are still eligible and so they play. I suspect players who are already on a second NHL contract are not eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad