Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
If that is considered "fast", then Nate Bastian is fast.

McLeod is not slow. Not sure how you can't see that? He has lots of problems with his game (muffin shot the biggest), but his skating and faceoff ability is what keeps him in the league.

I don't think any of the forwards are below average speed. Bastian is probably the slowest and he's NHL average imo... Holtz only slightly better.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
If we go 1-0-2 on this road trip, through 12 games, we'll have the same record as last year. That said, I think we should all feel more optimistic, here's another cool stat I came across.

"after going through the entire 2021-22 campaign without winning a single game in regulation in which they scored fewer than three goals, the Devils have now accomplished that feat in three consecutive contests."

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
McLeod is not slow. Not sure how you can't see that? He has lots of problems with his game (muffin shot the biggest), but his skating and faceoff ability is what keeps him in the league.

I don't think any of the forwards are below average speed. Bastian is probably the slowest and he's NHL average imo... Holtz only slightly better.

Yup McLeod is very fast, he just doesn't seem to have much else after he uses it. It actually amazes me that McLeod can't score with the wheels (and average hands) he has. He kind of suffers from Vesey syndrome, although Vesey had more knack of getting points.

McLeod is foiled by that ridiculous muffin shot he has, you're absolutely right. It's always a save, or some bumbled stick play after he gets around the defender. Something is missing from his game and its really baffling to figure out why he can't get a goal more than once every 35 games.

His hands don't seem to be bad either, but he does fubar a lot of stickhandling situations when the puck comes to him as a more surprise event. It's almost like he can't think/react at an NHL level, but has some NHL level skills.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
If we go 1-0-2 on this road trip, through 12 games, we'll have the same record as last year. That said, I think we should all feel more optimistic, here's another cool stat I came across.

"after going through the entire 2021-22 campaign without winning a single game in regulation in which they scored fewer than three goals, the Devils have now accomplished that feat in three consecutive contests."

As awful as last year was, I specifically remember some optimism after that Tampa game in early November. It’s easy to forget the “good times” last year.

Either way, I think this is clearly a much different team with a lot more swagger.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As awful as last year was, I specifically remember some optimism after that Tampa game in early November. It’s easy to forget the “good times” last year.

Either way, I think this is clearly a much different team with a lot more swagger.

Both the skaters and goalies were give or take average the first 6 weeks last year.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
5C352660-B8B9-48AA-985E-D0276C2767C0.jpeg

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
View attachment 601676

Interesting. Slightly lower than I expected, but, I believe if we have a better season this time around, our hardcore holdouts (and also the mild weathered fans) will start making their way back to the games in person and that will move em up more. I expected to be closer to Pittsburgh.

Reactions: HBK27

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I feel like we are constructed PERFECTLY for the next decade. I think we have a ten year window for something special. First half with Dougie. Then the second half with Luke and Nemec getting into their primes.

I am feeling tingly in some naughty places. OH MY.

Hughes-Marino
Okhotyuk(?)-Hamilton
Siegenthaler-Nemec

Seems like a group that could very well-balanced and kept together for a while.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Interesting. Slightly lower than I expected, but, I believe if we have a better season this time around, our hardcore holdouts (and also the mild weathered fans) will start making their way back to the games in person and that will move em up more. I expected to be closer to Pittsburgh.
Not sure if that includes the arena being tied to the team. FORBES does that and has us in the top half of most valuable franchises.

Reactions: HBK27

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I've been watching to much wrestling, After listening to the podcast posted above I get Manager Triple H Manager vibes from Fitz. o_O

Edit- at the end of the interview he's asked if having his kids being around the same age as the kids he's drafted helps and he said yes, That he knows how much a "pat on the back or saying good game can affect someone starting out" and that he's "very active in the locker room and sometimes wishes he had an office down there".

I feel that 80% of today's GM's wouldn't do that. I want to keep Fitzy! :jump:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Both the skaters and goalies were give or take average the first 6 weeks last year.

Goaltending and losing Jack aside, we had issues and lot weird fluctuating line combinations. It took a while to even get a functional Bratt line going. (I can’t stress enough how weird some line combinations were.)

And the defense was a mess. Hamilton and Graves started out with a bang, and people immediately decided they were amazing together, but those two were all over the place.

Severson and Smith missed the pre-season. Severson came back in the 2nd game and Smith in the 4th.

I distinctly remember Smith and Severson having a very strong game together against Buffalo in Ty’s first game back. Ruff immediately decided to split them up, I guess to share the wealth. He put Smith with Hamilton and Smith was a mess on that pair.

It was the Calgary game, I remember the dreaded the Tatar-Mercer- Zacha line started that game, and it was awful and almost immediately scored on lol.

Ruff then put Severson and Smith back together but it was like the spell was broken. They were awful together in the few games he tried to make that pair work again. He eventually dumped Smith on Subban in the 3rd pair.

Then Hamilton got his first injury in the 8th game (11/2) of the season, missing 3 games and struggling with that before getting hit in the face in the 33rd game (1/2).

We weren’t terrible in the beginning when Bernier was still a thing but I don’t see this a repeat. The team is obviously enormously better. We aren’t even riding a fluky scoring tear (Gibbons, Johnsson) or getting particularly great goaltending.

After all the discussions about team defense vs goaltending I don’t see how anyone can say this team isn’t sheltering our goalies.

We aren’t going to go undefeated and we had an easy schedule but I don’t know anyone who denies that either. (The Daily Faceoff power rankings is f***ing annoying if anything, thanks for nothing pal. I can’t wait for the Devils to be called overrated.)

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Not sure if that includes the arena being tied to the team. FORBES does that and has us in the top half of most valuable franchises.

It does include that. If you go to the site you can click on Methodology and read exactly what is included.

People rag on Forbes valuations pretty hard so maybe these are better? Idk

Reactions: NjDevsRR

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It’s not that you’d want to but it might make sense. At some point Jack will drive a line on his own at a level higher than even last season’s best. He and Bratt both need and want the puck. If you are going to t try to run three balanced lines you probably have to put Jack Hischier and Bratt on three different lines. At his best Jack can make Shara a scorer. Nico can be effective with a Zetterlund and Bratt can probably get Haula going if given enough time. You can mix and match the other wings as necessary. Maybe

Shara Jack Palat
Bratt Haula Mercer
Tatar Hischier Zetterlund
Woof McLeod Bastian
i see what you are doing here. sneaking hischier into the 3c spot. :madfire:

watch out the mainboard for the lovejoy trade proposal.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It will be a fun game to see how Marino, Siegs, Hischier, and perhaps Wood and Mcleod will be able to stifle the Mcdrai line.

I added Wood and Mcleod as are probably the only players who at least could stay close to Mcdavid as he skates.

I mean...Mackinnon isn't a nobody, but he sure looked like a nobody in that game thanks to the defense. He couldn't really do anything.

Avs are already having to ice lesser lineups . 2 years ago was probably thier strongest roster. Makar improving and becoming a dominant stud pushed them over the top but they already had to trim their roster. Kadri out , Burakovsky out , Keumper out , all replaced with lesser Amd lower cost pieces.
I think we will be better constructed for how ping we can keep the core pieces together for longer than the Avs could. I guess we will lose Hamilton when he contract expires and perhaps have to move him sooner , but we do have Luke , Nemec , Casey etc still coming and one or more of them will be core pieces . The first few years of their ELC will be huge production for the cost.

Yea, like I said, if they didn't win last year..that makes their whole rebuilding process extremely painful imo.

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
What is the problem? I am not being a wise guy, honest question.

I don't believe the Devils have sufficient structure to handle true playoff teams. I think we'll see that as the team starts to play Washington, Pitt, Boston, etc. I think it will be even clearer in the playoffs, should they make it.

I don't think Ruff holds talent back, but I don't think that his teams are particularly stronger because of his contributions. He seems like a nice guy and someone who relates honestly with players. But, I think the Devils will need someone else for them to become a true Cup contender.

Of course, I probably would have said the same thing about Torre back in 1995. 🤷‍♀️

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't believe the Devils have sufficient structure to handle true playoff teams. I think we'll see that as the team starts to play Washington, Pitt, Boston, etc. I think it will be even clearer in the playoffs, should they make it.

I don't think Ruff holds talent back, but I don't think that his teams are particularly stronger because of his contributions. He seems like a nice guy and someone who relates honestly with players. But, I think the Devils will need someone else for them to become a true Cup contender.

Of course, I probably would have said the same thing about Torre back in 1995. 🤷‍♀️

The Devils handled Washington just fine, of course I am not sure Washington is a playoff team, but they once again doubled them on the shot board, just a bad turnover and some poor play and terrible goaltending made that one a laugher. I wouldn't come away from that and the Colorado game thinking that the Devils got exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad