Devils sign Zajac

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lou is God said:
That's a very good point.

Actually, it's NOT. Tallackson was part of his own demise. He was a LAZY SOB in college and every player there knew it. He redefined himself in his last season in the 2nd half and is just spilling over that now into the pro game.

Tallackson was awful in his sophmore year and it was pretty clear to everyone he needed another year there.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jason MacIsaac said:
What do you mean he is raw. The only part of his game that is unfinished is his offense which could really explode at any time. Ftorek is an excellent development coach and I don't see any difference in moving Zajac up a little early, something Tallackson should have done.

Exactly why I think college players should usually stay there for the third year. He DOES have an unfinished part to his play and it is just usually my opinion that college players should stay there to hone their skills. Obviously Zajac and management thought fit for him to leave. I'm sure there will be no adverse effects on the kid, but I just think he'd be better served being there for one more year. That's just my opinion.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jon Prescription said:
He redefined himself in his last season in the 2nd half and is just spilling over that now into the pro game.

Tallackson played 4 games last season.

Tallackson redifined himself in one season and 4 games? He became un-Lazy in 4 games last season?

Do you think it is a coincidence that Tallackson in his first year pro has scored more goals than any year at the NCAA level playing for the powerhouse Albany River Rats :sarcasm: And has more asisst than any year he had points at the NCAA level?

For some players the NCAA doesn't offer the right setting for their development.

I respectfully think your analysis is way off.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
JimEIV said:
Tallackson played 4 games last season.

Tallackson redifined himself in one season and 4 games? He became un-Lazy in 4 games last season?

Do you think it is a coincidence that Tallackson in his first year pro has scored more goals than any year at the NCAA level playing for the powerhouse Albany River Rats :sarcasm: And has more asisst than any year he had points at the NCAA level?

For some players the NCAA doesn't offer the right setting for their development.

I respectfully think your analysis is way off.

OK Mr. Math

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2000-01 US Jr. National Team USHL 23 7 7 14 32
2001-02 U. of Minnesota NCAA 44 13 10 23 44
2002-03 U. of Minnesota NCAA 32 9 14 23 18
2003-04 U. of Minnesota NCAA 44 10 15 25 46
2004-05 U. of Minnesota NCAA 35 11 8 19 52
2004-05 Albany River Rats AHL 4 1 1 2 0
2005-06 New-Jersey Devils* NHL 10 1 1 2 2
2005-06 Albany River Rats AHL 58 14 23 37 62

ooooo 1 more goal this year in 14 more games than in 2001-02

did they they make 23 greater than 25 while I was sleeping last night?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Aki Fan said:
ooooo 1 more goal this year in 14 more games than in 2001-02

did they they make 23 greater than 25 while I was sleeping last night?

Sorry I should have said he has "nearly as many" asisst as points....I was going from memorey and did not check the Stats...

And Mr. Math wouldn't want to forget to "Add" the Goal and Assist playing for New Jersey this season.....A very big goal against Ottawa.

But the fact of the matter he is having a very good rookie season in Albany. Good enough for New Jersey to call him up and give him some playing time. A more effective year than any year he played in Minnesota(minus his playoff games he played for Minn) and he would have been better served coming out earlier and honeing his skills at the pro level.

Off course we can never prove that, its just my opinion.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
JimEIV said:
Typically players need more time to work on finer points or their defensive game. I personally don't think Zajac is "Raw" at all. Zajac already has displayed the ability to be extremely responsible at both ends of the ice, he is one of the better PKers in the country, extremelly strong in the faceoff dot, and a very good decision maker.

Another John Madden type?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
10.16.1974 said:
Another John Madden type?

Worst Case Scenario yes.....But I'm thinking more like a 65 point well rounded Center in the Craig Conroy Mold.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
10.16.1974 said:
Madden was a very good offensive player until he got to NJ.

Actually, at the beginning of his tenure in Albany Madden was still an offensive dynamo. But instead of working on developing that the coaches took him aside and said "we need a checking forward" and spent his entire development phase on turning him into one.

The same will not be true with Zajac.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Madden never displayed top end offensive skills while in college. He for sure had some very good years at Michigan but even then he was considered a defensive center....He did have a very good year in Albany scoring 98 points, but again Madden succeeded despite is lack of skill. Jay Pandolfo also had a big year at BU and averaged nearly a point a game in AHL but they are just good old fashioned hard workers. (These type of players are better served playing 4 years in the NCAA)

If you watched Madden and Brendan Morrison play on the same Michigan team during those years it was a sharp contrast in style and skill. It was clear that Madden was a lunch pale type of player.

Zajac has the skill and creativity of a top 6 forward. Zajac just happens to do everything well and if his offensive skills do not develope into a top 6 scoring threat he'll still be a very good defensive center....I just don't think that'll be the case though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad