Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Tatar - 2 years @ $4.5M AAV

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Reserving comment until we find out term.

If it's a one year prove it deal, or even a two year term, then meh. He's still small, on the wrong side of 30 and has a penchant for disappearing for long stretches.

This honestly feels like Michael Ryder part 2.

assuming this will be a short term deal, which it will be, there is literally 0 risk whatsoever. no brainer.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Ryder was 33 when he signed here and scored 18 goals his first year. Admittedly, he did collapse in year 2. At the cost of money only, I don't see a problem here. It's not like Tatar would be blocking anyone.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
I have no interest in this player

A healthy scratch everywhere he goes. Lindy might quit.
Romo and andy like him though what a joke. Softest team gets softer

Reactions: theoptimist

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
Ryder was 33 when he signed here and scored 18 goals his first year. Admittedly, he did collapse in year 2. At the cost of money only, I don't see a problem here. It's not like Tatar would be blocking anyone.
It just feels like the bullshit UFA signing of a guy on the decline that no other team wanted to offer term for. Typical. It stings less because we got Dougie, but the pattern of just snagging guys that don't seem to have anywhere else to go is getting old, and stinks of the late Lou Era.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
He’s a worthwhile short term solution to help us reach the next level while the younger guys develop. I’m all for it.

FWIW the guy reporting this is a respected Slovak sports journalist, so he wouldn’t be making this up. Like it or not, it’s happening. And let’s not act like people on this forum looked at him and thought that he’d be a good addition.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
It just feels like the bullshit UFA signing of a guy on the decline that no other team wanted to offer term for. Typical. It stings less because we got Dougie, but the pattern of just snagging guys that don't seem to have anywhere else to go is getting old, and stinks of the late Lou Era.

He would be a placeholder, that's all. This team is sorely lacking in proven NHL players to play alongside Jack/Nico.

This is exact opposite of what Lou did.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I have no interest in this player

A healthy scratch everywhere he goes. Lindy might quit.
Romo and andy like him though what a joke. Softest team gets softer

In the last 5 full NHL seasons he played in 80 or more games in every one.

He looks like he’s missed like 10 games in the last 7 seasons; it doesn’t appear he is scratched or hurt almost ever.

Reactions: Pomee and Faterson

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
And let’s not act like people on this forum looked at him and thought that he’d be a good addition.

He’s been frequently brought up by people as a good addition to go after; usually as a contrast to Tarasenko.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Reserving comment until we find out term.

If it's a one year prove it deal, or even a two year term, then meh. He's still small, on the wrong side of 30 and has a penchant for disappearing for long stretches.

This honestly feels like Michael Ryder part 2.

I’ll say the same thing I said with Brunner, a long term deal heck no. A one or two year deal I’m totally fine with.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Even with Tatar i think this lineup still has question marks

Zacha - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Hughes - Shara
??? - Boqvist - Kuokkanen
Wood - McLeod - Johnsson

If we can secure Tarasenko without moving roster pieces we can move Sharangovich to the third line. Otherwise it would become a lateral move at best.

Also I would strongly suggest looking at Brassard for a 1 year deal. He's still relatively young and I would feel more comfortable with him as a bottom 6 center vs Boqvist. Good, quality, cheap depth.

Reactions: nugg and Bad Goalie

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Tatar is much more talented and impactful than Brunner or Ryder. Both those players were deficient by time Lou brought them in as lottery-desperation plays (Ryder couldn't skate anymore and both he and Brunner were horrendous playing off the puck). He also played last couple years with coaches who were extremely rigid in their systems whereas Tatar likes a little more openness and playmaking in neutral-offensive zones.

As long as term and money aren't outrageous, it's worth a gamble for next season so the young bucks have to prove/earn it themselves. In a year or two, ideally you'd hope Mercer, Holtz, Foote earn their way in and Tatar and Johnsson aren't needed.

Reactions: nugg

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I would have preferred Tarasenko, but maybe St Louis' ask was just way too high. There was also talk that Fitz was going to add TWO top 6 wingers, so maybe we're still in the running for him, and this just adds more pressure on Army because we'd not be in obvious need for him.

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Even with Tatar i think this lineup still has question marks

Zacha - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Hughes - Shara
??? - Boqvist - Kuokkanen
Wood - McLeod - Johnsson

If we can secure Tarasenko without moving roster pieces we can move Sharangovich to the third line. Otherwise it would become a lateral move at best.

Also I would strongly suggest looking at Brassard for a 1 year deal. He's still relatively young and I would feel more comfortable with him as a bottom 6 center vs Boqvist. Good, quality, cheap depth.
Tatar should be on the 3rd line before Sharangovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad