Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Ryane Clowe (5 Years $4.85M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
No I don't mind the whole being slow thing. He was always slow. Just the "pace has become too fast for him" comments. I think there was some quotes about that from Chere, before the signing broke.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Ok, I've complained about the contract, but after watching this, I can get on board the Clowe Man Bear train. Honestly, wtf at 1:09 of this video. That's priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZa7p3oK1hc

Edit: If you guys are looking for evidence of sloweness, all you need do is watch the 'highlight' of him posterizing a Canuck (Salo?) at the end of the video on a 'breakaway'. Looked like a washing machine going past a bucket of cement driving to the net.

Last edited:

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I went to nhl.com videos and looked at almost every goal he scored in the last 2 years. Clowe has a good shot, which I never realized. Also he scores alot of goals by just sitting in front on the net and getting garbage goals

MountainGoat

I went to nhl.com videos and looked at almost every goal he scored in the last 2 years. Clowe has a good shot, which I never realized. Also he scores alot of goals by just sitting in front on the net and getting garbage goals

yea I noticed that too, weird because alot of Ranger fans have been saying he avoids going infront of the net

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
With the signing of Clowe and Ryder, the Devils have 40% of the NHL players born in Newfoundland.

Lou's trying to corner the market. Teddy Purcell is next.

apice3*

That Tundra guy was saying the 4th line was so important to the cup run because of their immense speed.

The fact that people bother arguing with him boggles my mind. At least DATW is fun to rile up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What a novel concept eh? I'm okay with it because it's free agency, at this point nothing surprises me.

If we get 3 years of a healthy Clowe doing what Clowe does when healthy, I'll be more than happy with this signing. I always wanted a Clarkson type if Clarkson eventually left, and Ryane Clowe is exactly the guy I wanted. For now I'm just happy to have him.

I agree for all the reasons you said. Plus it was a needed move with Clarkson leaving. We don't have anyone in the system to fill that hole. So Lou did what was nessecary bevause he plans to be very competitive next year.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I agree for all the reasons you said. Plus it was a needed move with Clarkson leaving. We don't have anyone in the system to fill that hole. So Lou did what was nessecary bevause he plans to be very competitive next year.

The question I keep asking myself is, "Who would you rather have at $4.85x5, Clarkson or Clowe?"

And the answer is always Clowe.
We'll worry about years 4 & 5 when we get, there.

Hopefully his game can mature as well as Zubrus' has.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/07/devils_ryane_clowe_ready_to_prove_doubters_wrong.html

Love his confidence . Playing with a chip on his shoulder

“I know,” Clowe told The Star-Ledger. “I’ve heard people say, ‘That’s a long deal for him. Probably not what the Devils should have done. They should’ve given him a two or three-year deal.’ It’s the fact that I had a season last year I didn’t want to have and then I finished with an injury coming into free agency.

“I have to prove other people wrong and prove myself right, I guess. I feel great. I’m 30 years old and I feel like I’m entering my prime. I feel like I have a lot of good hockey ahead of me. There is no concern from me. At the end I know I will prove the Devils right.”

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Yea that was a really good article, but it seems to be me teams were only offering 1, 2, or 3 year deals? Why couldn't we just go 4 lol

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
He'll have a Salvador esque return.

I think he's an upgrade from Clarkson, Clarkson 2.0 with upgraded skating patch.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you think Clowe's deal sucks I'll give you some perspective. We will likely have Volchenkov for at least four years at roughly 600K less a year than Clowe. His defense at even strength has been far below average and he brings minimal offense. Clowe will bring some offense and I think will be more than serviceable for at least four years if he remains healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad