Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Fiddler (1 year 1.25 million)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Not worried about the age especially at 1 year, we have a young forward group, doesn't hurt to have a character veteran around some of these guys

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Yes he's 36 but he's signed for 1 year. Not every player is gonna be 25, and for comparison sake Gio is gonna be 33 when the season starts so is it really that big of a deal his replacement is a few years older? It's all about production and Fiddler produces more than Gio does.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Stars fans saying he's really slowing down. If 22 points and 12 goals is slowing down then I want slowing 4th liners over Gionta.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Should be good I noticed his play on a few games, on the old side but a solid 4th liner. Beats what we were rolling with past couple seasons.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
I'm a big fan of this guy and always have been. Solid player, knows how to play his role on a team and will be a great addition. Low cost player that will contribute and instantly makes our 4th line much better. Not a game breaker but reliable. Very smart move by Shero.

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
No more Gionta and Tootoo!

Time to celebrate!

We already knew Ruutu wasn't back. Ruutu means two year deal in a Euro league or retirement.

I agree like the move Fiddler will be a very nice patch while the youth developed. Hoping it means the end for Gio and Tootoo. They done fit the mold for the direction this team is headed. And imo an older fiddler is an upgrade to both

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
I agree like the move Fiddler will be a very nice patch while the youth developed. Hoping it means the end for Gio and Tootoo. They done fit the mold for the direction this team is headed. And imo an older fiddler is an upgrade to both

Bonus points for posting a relevant gif to match your avatar.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
I like this. I don't mind his age at all. We're going to be a young team. Always good to have some veterans around.

Fiddler >>> Gionta. This is a clear upgrade in the bottom 6.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars fans saying he's really slowing down. If 22 points and 12 goals is slowing down then I want slowing 4th liners over Gionta.

It wasn't about the points . He could still produce offensively . He was just was not very good at taking defensive assignments anymore or at winning draws. Worst part was because he's been good at it in previous years he would still get used as primary PK Center by Ruff until he started trusting Faksa enough. Our PK was basically a layup for any decent PP for a while with Fiddler there.

Wish Fiddler all the best with you guys. Great guy , hard nosed player and can score some but at 36 it would've made zero sense to keep him around with the amount of young Centers the Stars have.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It wasn't about the points . He could still produce offensively . He was just was not very good at taking defensive assignments anymore or at winning draws. Worst part was because he's been good at it in previous years he would still get used as primary PK Center by Ruff until he started trusting Faksa enough. Our PK was basically a layup for any decent PP for a while with Fiddler there.

Wish Fiddler all the best with you guys. Great guy , hard nosed player and can score some but at 36 it would've made zero sense to keep him around with the amount of young Centers the Stars have.

For most Devils fans, he is replacing Stephen Gionta who was clearly not an NHL forward last year. Gionta had some useful times as a jitterbug forward, but his time was done.

It won't take much for him to replace what little Gionta brought last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad