Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Fiddler (1 year 1.25 million)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shero is hoping Fiddler can take some faceoff pressure off of Zajac.

I admit when I looked at Fiddler's numbers I smiled at seeing a center with a faceoff percentage over 50 every year...FINALLY another center that can actually win a majority of draws! Josefson, Gionta, Kalinin, even Henrique...it just gets tiresome seeing barely +40% from the non-Zajac centers.

And not an insignificant number of draws every year either

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/f/fiddlve01.html

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I admit when I looked at Fiddler's numbers I smiled at seeing a center with a faceoff percentage over 50 every year...FINALLY another center that can actually win a majority of draws!

This does seriously make me wonder where the hell JJ fits unless they actually plan for one of them to be 3C (which I just can't forsee with the other young centers ready to push through.)

Is it back to being a scratch for "The Last of The Swedes"?

Gio has to be done.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This does seriously make me wonder where the hell JJ fits unless they actually plan for one of them to be 3C (which I just can't forsee with the other young centers ready to push through.)

Gio has to be done.

Fourth line LW unless/until they get another winger or one of the kids like Pietella beats him out in camp.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If this move results in JJ getting scratched a lot, I think that's a good thing because it means we found a better player than JJ. JJ produced so little that I have no real attachment to him, to be honest. The most emotion he produced in me was frustration when he botched golden offensive opportunities, and you can't say he wasn't given chances to make the most of himself this year. If this move knocks him out of the lineup, it's because he doesn't deserve to be there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Gio has to be done.

I think third center has to be one of Zacha/Quenneville/Elias/outside the organization acquisition/Blandisi if they're desperate.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think third center has to be one of Zacha/Quenneville/Elias/outside the organization acquisition/Blandisi if they're desperate.

That is my thought.

I can't realistically see JJ or Fiddler having a shot at 3C unless JJ suddenly finds more game or things go horribly wrong in camp.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ray also said he'll take the defensive match ups away from Zajac. Not completely or anything, but cut it down a little bit. I forget what the actual quote was, I heard it on the conference call.

So I'm assuming he's a good defensive player. Hopefully our 4th line won't be pinned in all night.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Speedy two way forward that can win faceoffs. Sounds like the perfect 4th line center to me.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Could've gotten someone younger. Nice upgrade over Gionta, anyway.

It's a one year deal, guys put up 20 points a year playing 4th line mins and killing penalties. He's over 50% at the dot and is a good character guy. Who cares about his age?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah, I really don't care about the age of a fourth liner on a one year deal, and there's nothing wrong with having some veterans on this team. Not everyone should be a young guy. That's hardly the ideal. A mix of ages is better, in my opinion. This guy sounds like he has pretty much everything we need from a fourth liner on a one year deal. Chances are he'll be better than young JJ.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
I've always had a soft spot for Vern, great locker room guy and an all around nice person. He will improve our 4th line dramatically.

He wore an "A" on his jersey for a reason

Last edited:

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Fiddler is a great guy, great in the locker room and also a very good player. I think he's a place holder for Blake Pietila, who I think will be a full time NHL:er in a year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Fiddler is a great guy, great in the locker room and also a very good player. I think he's a place holder for Blake Pietila, who I think will be a full time NHL:er in a year.

Maybe they'll even be linemates this season? Pietila-Fiddler-Kalinin could work. Josefson may start in Pietila's place, but he's bound to get hurt.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Based on what I've read I kind of have a hard time picturing Fiddler halting the march of age very much when it comes to his skating speed and his face off numbers falling, but at a cap hit of just over $1 million for one year, what's the harm?

Beyond that, and maybe more importantly, it's a step toward getting more guys off the starting lineups who clearly aren't NHL starters. Baseball has the WAR (wins above replacement) stat, where people who are around a 2.0 WAR are typically considered to be average players and 0.0 considered to be emergency minor league call up types, and guys in the negative...uh, they suck. I know hockey has begun using WAR, but even without the data I have to imagine that swapping out Gio for Fiddler likely results in a solid WAR improvement from that spot on the 4th line, getting a legitimate NHL talent in that spot over a guy who really shouldn't be starting that often.

Shero going a lot for depth the last couple of days, not a bad idea when you don't want to risk getting caught with your pants down if the big name talents fall off the board soon.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Given how putrid our bottom six was as a whole, this is a fantastic signing. Cheap, 1 year deal, veteran leader who kills penalties, wins face-offs and can put the puck in the net if need be.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a one year deal, guys put up 20 points a year playing 4th line mins and killing penalties. He's over 50% at the dot and is a good character guy. Who cares about his age?

Aren't we the youngest team in the league now too? Literally? I saw that someone posted that yesterday.

Nothing wrong with having a few older players, especially a 4th liner. Fiddler is better than any 4th liner we had on this team last year and he's also better than any 3rd liner we had last year sadly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good thing that Bon Jovi goal song is gone, because he doesn't have the power to turn back time.

Nice!:laugh:

Not a fan of those commercials, I miss the settlers ones.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I want Fiddler and Zajac to just take the rest of the centers on a 3 week vacation and work on nothing but faceoffs!

Its nice to have someone else who can win those ever so important PK draws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad