Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign D Colby Sissons to three-year Entry Level Contract

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He was passed over this past draft, basically a free late round pick. He'll play in juniors for two more years and then play in the AHL.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Very intriguing upside prospect...he'll spend this season with Swift Current and make his push for the big roster next season. Hopefully his improvement trajectory stays the same...he's been constantly improving

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Interesting move to sign a UDFA 18 year old to a contract - that used to be pretty rare. Hopefully this pays off and this kid is at least an okay pro.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He only played in that 2-0 loss to the Flyers that day we had the split squads. That game that wasn't even televised.

No, I definitely saw him play in a game on TV - perhaps the one in Allentown.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No, I definitely saw him play in a game on TV - perhaps the one in Allentown.

The 2-0 loss was the one in Allentown. I'm glad I didn't go to it too. I talked to a Flyers fan the next day at work and he said it was a boring, bad game.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The 2-0 loss was the one in Allentown. I'm glad I didn't go to it too. I talked to a Flyers fan the next day at work and he said it was a boring, bad game.

It was a bad game from a NJD perspective, decent 1st period and then very listless and futile from there on.
Similar in the game @msg, a total lack of scoring chances and creativity.

I expect similar results tonight in the Barclays.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting move to sign a UDFA 18 year old to a contract - that used to be pretty rare. Hopefully this pays off and this kid is at least an okay pro.

His development has been very unique. I guess the Devils figured they will take a chance on a kid that is developing very quickly. He didn't make the jump to the WHL until last year whereas most kids usually have a year or more under their belt b

There really is no harm to these types of moves either. His contract ends up sliding for the next two years as he goes back to juniors. On the off-chance he isn't more than a Brandon Burlon, it's worth the risk.

I think we would've done the same for Casey Fitzgerald had he not gone to Boston College.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
Does he count against the 50 man contract limit? Not sure why we don't see more moves like this seeing as this kid will be playin juniors for a few more years anyway

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Does he count against the 50 man contract limit? Not sure why we don't see more moves like this seeing as this kid will be playin juniors for a few more years anyway

edit: posted article from '09

unless somethings has drastically changed in the rules he doesnt count

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
His development has been very unique. I guess the Devils figured they will take a chance on a kid that is developing very quickly. He didn't make the jump to the WHL until last year whereas most kids usually have a year or more under their belt b

There really is no harm to these types of moves either. His contract ends up sliding for the next two years as he goes back to juniors. On the off-chance he isn't more than a Brandon Burlon, it's worth the risk.

I think we would've done the same for Casey Fitzgerald had he not gone to Boston College.

The risk is that he doesn't develop and isn't even a decent pro and now you're stuck with a dud contract for 3 years. The Rangers have this with Troy Donnay, a guy they signed at 18 who is now on year 3 of an ELC that have seen him play an overage season in junior and one in the ECHL.

It's less of a risk given how empty NJ's defensive prospect pipeline is, but still.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

No. He's exempt. All our guys that are still in juniors and signed to ELCs are.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Do his upcoming years in jr's count against his ELC?

It's an interesting signing, hopefully whatever Shero and crew see in him comes to fruition.

#latebloomer.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Do his upcoming years in jr's count against his ELC?

It's an interesting signing, hopefully whatever Shero and crew see in him comes to fruition.

#latebloomer.

They shouldn't it doesn't with drafted players, but I also can't remember us ever making a signing like this. Kinda strange if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad