Confirmed Signing with Link: Devils sign Brandon Gormley [1 year/$650,000/2-way]

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
What happened to him? He was a top 10 pick, no?

He was suppsoed to go higher according to many scouting reports but he fell at the draft Grigorenko style. Some scouts/people even had him going top 5.

Not sure what happened. I watched him a few time when he was playing with Moncton in the Q and he looked like a futur top 4 NHL defensemen. I guess it shows that junior is junior and some guys simply can't adapt to the pro level.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'm expecting Gormley to be in the AHL. If he impresses at the AHL level maybe he sees NHL time, but he's going to need to earn his way up, I think.

Yeah me too. I'd be shocked if he made the team even as a 7th defender. This signing doesn't hurt us in anyway.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
damn he really fell off, I recall a ton of ppl calling him a future #1 D and a steal at the time.
Junior success doesn't automatically mean success in not only a men's league, but the top league in the world for hockey.

It isn't surprising for kids to fail, and I find it shocking that people still are surprised when high draft positions don't pan out...

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
while the devils are at it, you guys want luca sbisa. We will take a 3rd rounder.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Gormley didn't care one bit in the AHL last season. I don't think that is indicative of who he is as a player. He isn't an everyday NHL defender though. The Avs gave him a shot and he was pretty bad.

Well, when he was an alternate captain for Portland, he was a -22.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The only risk is the devils might have to play him.

I'd say that is a pretty significant risk.

Well, when he was an alternate captain for Portland, he was a -22.

That Portland Pirate team was pretty bad.

What I mean by that is that he has some AHL abilities (can be a solid middle pairing guy if he cares). He just gave up on the season and barely even went through the motions when the Avs sent him down.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Didn't have a good showing with the Avs. Weak on the puck, made stupid plays. He got sent to the AHL and then he just flat out gave up and didn't bother trying anymore.

Sounds like a solid pickup.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
6pts in 39 games and a team worst +/- in the AHL at 23yrs old definitely screams NHL dman.

Wouldn't use his AHL stats to judge his skill (his attitude maybe), he gave up after he got sent down, he was essentially a pile of meh at the NHL level, but I was never sighing at him being on the ice (guenin on the other hand I was, and he did well after getting sent down)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No risk deal for the Devils with some upside.

The hype around him a few years ago was real though .. Too bad he hasn't been able to put it together so far

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
Wouldn't use his AHL stats to judge his skill (his attitude maybe), he gave up after he got sent down, he was essentially a pile of meh at the NHL level, but I was never sighing at him being on the ice (guenin on the other hand I was, and he did well after getting sent down)

He may have been better than Guenin (not saying much) but I was definitely sighing every time he hit the ice

Even with that, I only truly soured on Gormley with his piss poor play in the AHL

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not sure what happened. I watched him a few time when he was playing with Moncton in the Q and he looked like a futur top 4 NHL defensemen. I guess it shows that junior is junior and some guys simply can't adapt to the pro level.

He suffered a series of leg injuries and he was never fast to begin with, so he has trouble at the NHL level.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Only time I saw him in the pros, he was the best D for the Coyotes (...and it was in Newark...). Not sure what happened afterwards but he used to have a ton of talent (excellent vision, hockey IQ). How bad were the leg injuries?)

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Cheap low risk move. Thinking this might be the end of the line for him in North America. Maybe he will be better on an Eastern Conference team. Doubt it, but you never know. Gormley probably realizes he is running out of opportunities.

1Toews9

Nov 24, 2015
But he had been traded twice by then, still wasn't in the NHL, and Coots cracked the Flyers lineup as an 18 year old

Not defending him, he's pretty crappy. But he's only been traded once in his NHL career. Lol.

Drafted by Phoenix.
Traded by Phoenix to Colorado for Stefan Elliott's rights.
Signed in New Jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad