Devils Sign Blackwood

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
The last thing I want to do is diminish the accomplishments of any prospect. His entire year has been very impressive and it is extremely encouraging to see.

I'm just not sure what or how much any of it means? Succeeding is certainly better than the alternative though.

If plays in the AHL next year, or even this season after the CHL season is over I think we'll know rather quickly how real this success is.

Totally agree. OHL success is somewhat relative and pretty dependent on team success. He leads the league in Save % by a somewhat large margin and is second in GAA. Comparatively on his team, his backups have been far below average even though Barrie is a good team.

But Wedgewood was a top 5 goalie when he played as well so we can never really know until he goes to the AHL. I guess I find him so much better than his peers in the OHL that it's extremely encouraging thus far.

His physical tools make me think he can make a jump to the AHL sooner than other prospects for the most part but I guess that's all to be determined following the OHL season and if he makes Albany next year, especially if they feel he has nothing else to prove in the OHL.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Remember when Jack Campbell, John Gibson, Montoya, and Lehtonen were considered among the best goalie prospects in the world?

I don't see your point with these names. Jack Campbell had a terrible season after being taken in the 1st round which immediately calls into question his '1st round' status, then followed it up with another bad one. John Gibson has been up and down but he is still only 22 and has fine NHL numbers so far. Montoya followed up his draft year with a mediocre showing in 05 and then a decent one in his first year in the pros. Kari Lehtonen turned out to be an average NHL starter. If Blackwood had Lehtonen's career I'd be delighted.

Goalies are voodoo, certainly. They can go awry at any moment. But early returns are promising.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't see your point with these names. Jack Campbell had a terrible season after being taken in the 1st round which immediately calls into question his '1st round' status, then followed it up with another bad one. John Gibson has been up and down but he is still only 22 and has fine NHL numbers so far. Montoya followed up his draft year with a mediocre showing in 05 and then a decent one in his first year in the pros. Kari Lehtonen turned out to be an average NHL starter. If Blackwood had Lehtonen's career I'd be delighted.

Goalies are voodoo, certainly. They can go awry at any moment. But early returns are promising.
I think you see my point perfectly.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm very pleased with how Blackwood has progressed. I don't know what his future holds, but it's hard not be happy with where he is in the present and his present doesn't give me reason to predict a bleak future for him, so that's a good thing. Hopefully he continues to do well. Either way, signing an ELC must be exciting for him and might be nice motivation for him, too.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't think it would shock me if the Devils sent back Blackwood to juniors next year regardless of how well he does or doesn't perform. One less contract means more flexibility.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think it would shock me if the Devils sent back Blackwood to juniors next year regardless of how well he does or doesn't perform. One less contract means more flexibility.

His contract counts towards the 50 man limit next year regardless.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
His contract counts towards the 50 man limit next year regardless.

Turns out this isn't true and I guess it's why they signed him now - otherwise they would've waited until March 1, 2017 to sign him. He won't count towards the 50 man limit next year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder if they signed him because of how bad Kinkaid has been?:sarcasm:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
His combination of size and raw talent reminds me a lot of Lehtonen. Hopefully his positioning, consistency, and durability will turn out a bit better. I'd love for this guy to be our starter after Cory.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His combination of size and raw talent reminds me a lot of Lehtonen. Hopefully his positioning, consistency, and durability will turn out a bit better. I'd love for this guy to be our starter after Cory.

Lehtonen looks to bouncing back from last season, still not quite to that level he was at before last year.

Lehtonen was amazing up until last year. He was pretty consistent before that. I think he's been plagued and slowed down by some injuries, but he's still no Cam Ward.

If Blackwood becomes Lehtonen, that would be pretty damn good. As long as he keeps his health when he starts approaching and getting into his 30's of course.

I think Lehtonen was a very high pick (2nd or 3rd overall of his draft year?) so he probably had a lot higher of expectations and there was a lot more pressure than what Blackwood will be dealing with.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think I saw somewhere people have dubbed him The Lumberjack, or something to that effect. I hope it sticks :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gibson is still a legit prospect and has been awesome this year.

Kari Lehtonen was a really good NHL goaltender for the most part, up until last season.

Montoya is definitely a bust, that I agree with wholeheartedly.

Campbell probably is too.

Gibson and Lehtonen don't belong in that category.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Kari Lehtonen was a really good NHL goaltender for the most part, up until last season.

back in the day when that brain**** waddell was running the atlanta laughers i thought of goalies that would replace marty and kari was my choice at the time when going over options…….and somehow thought how to pry "THE RUSSIAN" to jersey. …... and it happened……..cause the guy is well, stupid.

im amazed he fleeced a career in hockey management

in the end…..im happy with cory, the russian is in the past and waddell is still the worst garbage guy you would want to hire ….he embodies ass spit and brings it where were he goes

he's a cane dbag now

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

I've never thought of Montoya as a bust because I never thought he was that good in the first place but I'm probably in the minority on that one. Talk about building a reputation with one game.

You can't really call a goalie a bust until they're about 25 because so many are late bloomers, but Campbell is certainly looking like a bust.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
back in the day when that brain**** waddell was running the atlanta laughers i thought of goalies that would replace marty and kari was my choice at the time when going over options…….and somehow thought how to pry "THE RUSSIAN" to jersey. …... and it happened……..cause the guy is well, stupid.

im amazed he fleeced a career in hockey management

in the end…..im happy with cory, the russian is in the past and waddell is still the worst garbage guy you would want to hire ….he embodies ass spit and brings it where were he goes

he's a cane dbag now
Lehtonen was one of the guys I wanted to replace Marty too. Schneider was one of my first choices, but I figured he was off limits and they would eventually buyout or trade Luongo and keep him going forward. Rinne and Pavelec were also on my short list at one time. Rinne was too old though, and he's also had numerous injuries over the last few years. This was before all of that though. Lehtonen is only a year younger than Rinne, but I was also thinking back in 2010 or so that Marty was gonna call it quits after 11-12. So Lehtonen would have been the same age or a year older than Cory was when Marty actually did leave, had he left after the 11-12 season.

I'm glad we were lucky enough to never get Pavelec. He's amazing to watch, but he's ****ing terrible and not adequate enough to be an NHL starting goaltender.
I've never thought of Montoya as a bust because I never thought he was that good in the first place but I'm probably in the minority on that one. Talk about building a reputation with one game.

You can't really call a goalie a bust until they're about 25 because so many are late bloomers, but Campbell is certainly looking like a bust.

Don't get me wrong, Campbell might be an NHL goaltender one day. He's AHL numbers don't look bad either, unlike a certain guy in our system. I just don't think he's gonna be anywhere near the position he was drafted in.

I didn't think Montoya was gonna be as great as his draft position or how highly touted he was early on, but I figured one day he'd be a decent starter somewhere.

Rangers fans kept arguing with me back in 04 and 05 that he was better than Marty and Richter, and that he would eventually own the wins record among American born goaltenders.:laugh:

They wound up getting a pretty good goaltender anyway, one they drafted years before with a later round pick. So maybe they consider the Montoya pick a wash?

I always thought Blackburn (Blackwood's name reminds me of this guy too much, similar sound last name) was gonna be a big nothing. I know he had an unfortunate hand injury or something, but I always thought he was gonna be a bust.

It didn't help him that they brought him into the league at 18 to back up Richter. It's weird to think that Blackburn is only early 30s today, he was in the league almost 15 years ago.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I liked Blackburn, he looked mobile and had quick reflexes. Like you mentoined, he got thrown to the wolves early as an 18 year old. My memory is fuzzy now, but like a lot of young goalies he needed to get used to the speed of the game. St. Louis developed Jake Allen very slowly and he looks much better now than he did a few years back when he got a cup of coffee. Or a guy like Marc-Andre Fleury who was forced to play early and didn't really establish himself until he was 23.

Blackburn damaged a nerve in his shoulder during an offseason gym workout. He couldn't raise his glove hand over his shoulder which effectively ended his NHL career. He tried to come back a couple years later in the ECHL, but he had to wear another blocker instead of a glove which didn't work out.

blackburnblockers.jpg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I liked Blackburn, he looked mobile and had quick reflexes. Like you mentoined, he got thrown to the wolves early as an 18 year old. My memory is fuzzy now, but like a lot of young goalies he needed to get used to the speed of the game. St. Louis developed Jake Allen very slowly and he looks much better now than he did a few years back when he got a cup of coffee. Or a guy like Marc-Andre Fleury who was forced to play early and didn't really establish himself until he was 23.

Blackburn damaged a nerve in his shoulder during an offseason gym workout. He couldn't raise his glove hand over his shoulder which effectively ended his NHL career. He tried to come back a couple years later in the ECHL, but he had to wear another blocker instead of a glove which didn't work out.

blackburnblockers.jpg
That's what happened? I remembered the two blocker's when he tried to make a comeback, but I didn't remember it was from nerve damage in the shoulder.

That sucks, I feel even worse for him now.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

blackburnblockers.jpg

Wow, that photo is something else. If there weren't evidence of that I probably wouldn't believe you lol

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's just random to sign at this time of year during the WJC and all that's all I meant.

A couple other prospects signed before the new year. There most be some reason behind it.

One could be signing bonuses. Blackwood gets bonuses each year regardless of if he turns pro which also ends up lowering his AAV.

There must be some kind of reason though. I doubt they just randomly signed him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad