Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Ben Lovejoy

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Him being here also creates a logjam along with Prout. We need to add someone because LJ didn't work out, but that also means we need to ship someone out too.

It would be for the best if Shero can convince Vegas to take him off our hands. Free up space and money for someone else.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think Lovejoy will still be here next year, unless we somehow convince Shattenkirk to sign or bring in another RHD. Chances are if we dump Lovejoy we'd just end up making Prout a regular or signing some other stopgap half the board will hate by December.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Him being here also creates a logjam along with Prout. We need to add someone because LJ didn't work out, but that also means we need to ship someone out too.

It would be for the best if Shero can convince Vegas to take him off our hands. Free up space and money for someone else.
I rather keep LJ over Prout.

I think LJ as a bottom pairing dman is fine. The question then becomes is it too soon for Santini to play top 4 minutes? What if the Devils pull a coup and sign Shattenkirk. Does that then force Santini back to AHL or switch LJ to left side.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I rather keep LJ over Prout.

I think LJ as a bottom pairing dman is fine. The question then becomes is it too soon for Santini to play top 4 minutes? What if the Devils pull a coup and sign Shattenkirk. Does that then force Santini back to AHL or switch LJ to left side.

Is he though? I was under the impression he would be too but his play the last few months has been Salvador bad. Sheltered third pairing and PK mins can't hide his deficiencies IMO. I think he might be ok if he only got that but I'm not sold on it.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Talk about a thread bump. I thought they extended him. Three years was way too long to begin with. I was going to rage.:rant::laugh:

you post things like this and don't offer a solution as to how.

who is going to take them? for what compensation?

you can't just "Get rid" of players

Buy him out. It would be a $1M for 4 years. They won't. He'll be a very expensive 7D next year.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Drop Lovejoy's ice time by 3-4 minutes a night with not quite as much PK duty and he'd be okay. Which I think will happen naturally as Santini grows into that role.

I think the left side is a bigger issue than the right side. We've got an aging Greene, an idiotic Moore, Merrill, and Auvitu (assuming we even bring him back). Nobody outside of Greene is a top 4 defenseman (I like Merrill, but he's more of a third pairing type).

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
To me Santini has already passed him on the depth chart regardless of what Hynes does on a nightly basis. We should have a top four of Greene-Severson Merrill-Santini.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm still very intrigued to see what happens at the expansion draft.

We know the following 6 players will 100% be protected

Hall
Zajac
Palmieri
Henrique

Greene
Severson

past that, who knows? As I've said, I would not be shocked if they protected Lovejoy. I would definitely NOT do that, but its not up to me.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To me Santini has already passed him on the depth chart regardless of what Hynes does on a nightly basis. We should have a top four of Greene-Severson Merrill-Santini.

Which I think is the plan long term (well, maybe not Merrill being in the top 4). I think this year they're just bringing along a kid slowly whose career high in GP at any level was like 41 before this year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm still very intrigued to see what happens at the expansion draft.

We know the following 6 players will 100% be protected

Hall
Zajac
Palmieri
Henrique

Greene
Severson

past that, who knows? As I've said, I would not be shocked if they protected Lovejoy. I would definitely NOT do that, but its not up to me.

I'd protect Merrill as well as Bennett.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

greene/ shatty
merrill/severson
Moore/ santini

the above is very decent NHL defense...

that would be what i would like next year with lovejoy as our #6 or 7 deepening on who is playing well.

i like jon more as our 5 or 6 he is very good in 3 on 3 can skate, and has some offense to his game. i like moore on this team more so than lovejoy or prout ... but as mentioned how to make this happen becomes the issue..

prout is not an NHL caliber top 6 he is an emergency call up type at best that can protect a little out there if needed..

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
how does the expansion draft work? is anyone exposed ? can someone explain the short version?

We will have to protect 7 forwards, 3 DMen, and 1 goalie OR 8 skaters and 1 goalie

the players protected have to have a contract for at least 2017-18

Las Vegas has to select at least one player from each team

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
We will have to protect 7 forwards, 3 DMen, and 1 goalie OR 8 skaters and 1 goalie

ok thanks for the explanation... is there a limit to how many they can take from each team?

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

and which of our players are protected as first or 2nd year players? thanks

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Talk about a thread bump. I thought they extended him. Three years was way too long to begin with. I was going to rage.:rant::laugh:

Buy him out. It would be a $1M for 4 years. They won't. He'll be a very expensive 7D next year.

Yes, or waive him.

If there is a will to shed LJ off the roster, there is a way.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Of course you can get him off the roster if you really want but what are you replacing him with, Prout? Unless you sign Shatty or make a trade there's no huge RH upgrade walking through the door anytime soon.

If you think he's a negative-replacement level player well that's likely all you're replacing him with anyway, at least internally.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Lovejoy is useful when he doesn't have the puck. When he has the puck, everything from his shot to even his ability to hold onto it is a liability.

I was more comfortable when Stollery or hell even when Prout has the puck than I am with Lovejoy.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Not a fan of Lovejoy, but why would you waive him when we don't have any NHL ready D prospect waiting for a shot? He's an okay bottom pairing D...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lovejoy is useful when he doesn't have the puck. When he has the puck, everything from his shot to even his ability to hold onto it is a liability.

I was more comfortable when Stollery or hell even when Prout has the puck than I am with Lovejoy.

Which is why we need to find him a partner that can move the puck.

I think he can be salvaged, but playing him with Greene, Merrill, Moore, or any other LD we have is clearly not going to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad