Prospect Info: Devils select Graham Black (C-Swift Current WHL) 135th Overall

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Pretty solid player. Don't see a ton of offensive upside.

He's got strong playmaking skills and enough size and reach to use his body to shield the puck from defenders. He's not the biggest of players at only 6'0 and 173 pounds, but it doesn't stop him from playing physical and being a very good defensive player.

On the offensive side of the puck he also has very good puck skills, showing off a hard and accurate wrist shot along with great passing. In my most recent viewing, he held off a defender with one hand while circling the net before dishing the puck in front for a one-timer goal. It was an impressive play that really makes you think about what could be possible once he gets more experienced, bigger and stronger.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/search/label/Graham Black

NICO NICO PANIC

Jan 12, 2007
Jared Ramsden ‏@CalDevil3219

Really came on offensively in the second half of the season. Late bloomer is a good skater, fantastic defensive player

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Crap, I thought you were gone Saug as I refreshed like 10 times before creating the thread LOL... when I posted your thread was there. #sorry

Anyway, he's small at 5'11" but his rating was very good at the midseason (around #50) and dropped to #83. Might still be great value at #135.

All of these picks have Zubrus/Clarkson strength on boards/strength on puck attribute. Very good for a forechecking system, cycling the puck system that DeBoer favors. That sort of lunchpail hard work player is a Lamoriello favorite too.

Some of the guys you lot fancied are still on the board - Sleepyshev, Ebert... - but it looks like Lou and David are going a different direction this year.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
This guy sounds like a good value pick. Rated much higher than where we took him, and he seems to be a late blooming skill forward. I have no problem with this pick.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Interestingly, Ottawa nabbed Game of Thrones-named Robert Baillargeon who was rated in the second round just after us. Bigger at 6'0". I wish I could spend a day at the draft table to understand why you'd take one guy vs another. Obviously physical attributes and stats/NHLCS rank aren't everything.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Interestingly, Ottawa nabbed Game of Thrones-named Robert Baillargeon who was rated in the second round just after us. Bigger at 6'0". I wish I could spend a day at the draft table to understand why you'd take one guy vs another. Obviously physical attributes and stats/NHLCS rank aren't everything.

i wanted him too - this years my last year at BU and he's going there :(

i wish the devs would draft someone/pick someone up from my school

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I guess that makes him teammates with Scarlett? I wonder if we noticed him when we were checking up on Reece.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Graham is a solid role player. You need these guys on your team, especially in the play-offs. Good selection for the Devils.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
Always bet on Black.

snipes1.jpg

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Roommate of Scarlett.

Reece Scarlett ‏@reecescarlett7
Apparently it's meant to be. First roommates, now drafted to the same team!! Congrats @GrahamBlack9 #greatorganization

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Roommate of Scarlett.

Reece Scarlett ‏@reecescarlett7
Apparently it's meant to be. First roommates, now drafted to the same team!! Congrats @GrahamBlack9 #greatorganization

That's got to be really cool for them, getting picked by the same organisation. Hopefully they will develop well together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad