Prospect Info: Devils select Ben Johnson (C-Windsor OHL) 90th Overall

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Aside from skating, what else does he bring to the table to be worthy of a 3rd round pick?

I know that he is a smart player, he is a hard worker and never takes a shift off, and although he hasn't shown it yet he will start becoming more of an offensive threat in the OHL.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I know that he is a smart player, he is a hard worker and never takes a shift off, and although he hasn't shown it yet he will start becoming more of an offensive threat in the OHL.

I hope so too. When the Devils picked Henrique, he didn't have very good stats, and then he exploded the following year. I'd love to see the same thing happen here.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I hope so too. When the Devils picked Henrique, he didn't have very good stats, and then he exploded the following year. I'd love to see the same thing happen here.

Yeah he will adjust big time, I mean cause he did go from high school to the OHL which is a huge jump considering the skill level of some of the high school teams around here :laugh:

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Ben Johnson (not Thomson) said he skated last summer with Windsor alumnus and current Devil Adam Henrique.

Johnson also is from same area of Michigan as Randy McKay, has met him, and said McKay put in a good word for him with Devils.

Ben Johnson said it would be "awesome" if he and cousin Blake Pietila (2011, 5th rd) someday are teammates in Devils' organization.

Darius Dangleaitis

Padowan Kovalchuk
Jul 31, 2006
Morristown, NJ
Yeah, those stats are incorrect:laugh:. He played five games for Fargo of the USHL in 10-11 and didn't register any points.

He seems like he has good physical tools and could develop offensively. 38 points in the OHL in your draft year after jumping straight from high school isn't bad.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Yeah, those stats are incorrect:laugh:. He played five games for Fargo of the USHL in 10-11 and didn't register any points.

:laugh: Good, I'm kind of glad the stats are wrong, because I had no idea how he could have fallen that much if he scored like that in the USHL. For Johnson to fall that much with those stats, he would have had to have some real character issues.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
The McKeens comparable of Darren Helm sounds pretty accurate. Has a modicum of offensive skill, but his speed is his calling card.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I had Johnson rated 38th among OHL players for this draft. Here is what I wrote.

It certainly took Johnson a long time to get going, but once he did, he became an integral part of Windsor's offense. It took him 24 games to score his first OHL goal, but he finished the season with 18. The best thing about Johnson is that when he's not scoring, he's still a very effective player. He's a tremendous skater and his speed causes a lot of problems for the opposition on the forecheck. And when he gains possession in the offensive zone, he's excellent along the boards and wears out opposing defenses. Johnson is also a human torpedo who loves to throw his body around. While his play away from the puck is excellent, his offensive game is definitely inconsistent. He's still learning to channel his energy into production and how to use his speed to be an effective offensive player. The development of his shot and puck carrying ability will be crucial to his high end potential.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Speed kills in this league, and it's something you can't really develop in a player. Glad to see he has it.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
The McKeens comparable of Darren Helm sounds pretty accurate. Has a modicum of offensive skill, but his speed is his calling card.
Darren`s one of my favorite bottom6ers (Sutter, Bolland, Slater). If he`s anything like him and develops into a solid depth player...

"human torpedo" - damn fast and hits everything that moves

Last edited:

member 71782

As a Windsor fan I would say Brock has it covered pretty good.

Ben is fast, deceptive release on his shot and not afraid of physical play, the logical thing would be to see him drive the net a bit harder with the puck.

He started off taking a lot of shots from the top of the circle and would follow up looking for a rebound. As the season progressed and he started to show some comfort in the league he began to do this more often.

If he continues to improve as he did all last season 35+ goals this season should be reachable.

He came in and was thought to be a natural center but spent a lot of time playing LW. Excellent on the PK and should also have some PP potential.

For a more recent comparison I would put him somewhere between Henrique and former Spitfire Eric Wellwood in Philadelphia.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Who do you expect him to be playing with in Windsor this season? Is he going to be getting big minutes? I'd love to see him break out offensively.

member 71782

Who do you expect him to be playing with in Windsor this season? Is he going to be getting big minutes? I'd love to see him break out offensively.

Will definitely play top six along with plenty of PK time.

As for who he plays with, kind of up in the air depending on who returns, Khokhlachev as well as who reports or is aquired in the inport draft this week.

If Khokhlachev returns I would expect Johnson on his left side on one of the top two lines.

A lot unknown with the roster though until that is settled.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Am I the only one that thought this said Devils sign Brent Johnson?:laugh: My eyes are all messed up.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
:laugh: Good, I'm kind of glad the stats are wrong, because I had no idea how he could have fallen that much if he scored like that in the USHL. For Johnson to fall that much with those stats, he would have had to have some real character issues.

The league he played in didn't have goalies. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad