Rumor: Devils Receiving Calls About Severson

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I know we owe you guys big time, but I’m not adding anything substantial to Severson in a trade for Klefbom. No shot.

I just don’t think enough of Severson to give up anything substantial for him. I know you guys don’t have much left for RHD, but I wouldn’t do what I’d consider to be a substantial overpayment for a guy that isn’t even particularly good at the element we desperately need - production from the blue line.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I imagine the Devils are satisfied with Vatanen and Butcher running the powerplay. They also might be going after Carlson. My guess is that they want another first round pick or a right wing. Only other thing that might happen is Severson and 17OA for Hamilton, but I think Shero is very reluctant to have no picks until the fourth round.
Would they Accept:

Kapanen straight up?
Brown & 2nd?
Leafs 1st & Leivo?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would they Accept:

Kapanen straight up?
Brown & 2nd?
Leafs 1st & Leivo?

Kapanen + 2nd/3rd would probably do it. The other two players do nothing to the Devils that Coleman, Noesen, or Wood don't already bring.

Kapanen is a good prospect, but you just don't trade a defender with 200+ games of largely second pairing experience straight up for a guy who has played ~50 games mostly on the fourth line.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Kapanen + 2nd/3rd would probably do it. The other two players do nothing to the Devils that Coleman, Noesen, or Wood don't already bring.

Kapanen is a good prospect, but you just don't trade a defender with 200+ games of largely second pairing experience straight up for a guy who has played ~50 games mostly on the fourth line.
May be willing to add a 3rd at most, Kap would explode offensively if given the opportunity to play in a top 6 role which is why I’d be worried about trading him, especially if given time on the powerplay and with Hall

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Which is more than Severson has showed since his rookie season.

There’d need to be a good sized + coming with Severson.

Though apparently Stauffer on Edmonton radio is dogging Nurse a bit saying we need a different element so I’m mentally preparing myself for Nurse for Severson 1 for 1 which I believe would be brutal for Edmonton.

The plus is Severson's right hand shot, younger age and the fact that it's a total coin flip as to which one will be better this year and going forward.

You're right that there's a team adding but it's not New Jersey

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
May be willing to add a 3rd at most, Kap would explode offensively if given the opportunity to play in a top 6 role which is why I’d be worried about trading him, especially if given time on the powerplay and with Hall

I think if it's for a player, the Devils would want a sure thing, which Kapanen isn't necessarily. As it stands now, Severson has a better ppg average that Kapanen does.

Despite my belief that Chiarelli is hesitant to do another big trade with Shero, Severson seems to be exactly what he wants for 10 overall.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The plus is Severson's right hand shot, younger age and the fact that it's a total coin flip as to which one will be better this year and going forward.

You're right that there's a team adding but it's not New Jersey

It’s only a coin flip if you’re a Devils fan and one year is absolutely nothing. It’s a minor plus being right handed but a #4 RHD doesn’t pull a #2 LHD one for one.

Wasn’t he a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think if it's for a player, the Devils would want a sure thing, which Kapanen isn't necessarily. As it stands now, Severson has a better ppg average that Kapanen does.

Despite my belief that Chiarelli is hesitant to do another big trade with Shero, Severson seems to be exactly what he wants for 10 overall.

Not really. We want a powerplay ace/offensively minded defenceman. Severson had 4 powerplay points last year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Kapanen checks all the boxes for NJ except for being proven. Fast, competitive, hard-worker, skilled, and a right-handed RW.

I think Severson will be shopped for Skinner, Niederreiter, and the more proven guys first and foremost to see if that's possible. Then Shero probably shops him around for guys like Meier to see if he can pull off a hockey trade like that.

Kapanen would probably be one of the lower options, but I could see it happening if the Devils brass really likes Kapanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad