Rumor: Devils Receiving Calls About Severson

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Not really. We want a powerplay ace/offensively minded defenceman. Severson had 4 powerplay points last year.

He didn't get a lot powerplay points last year because he stopped getting much powerplay time when the Devils acquired Vatanen. In previous years, Severson was at least competent on the powerplay.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kapanen checks all the boxes for NJ except for being proven. Fast, competitive, hard-worker, skilled, and a right-handed RW.

I think Severson will be shopped for Skinner, Niederreiter, and the more proven guys first and foremost to see if that's possible. Then Shero probably shops him around for guys like Meier to see if he can pull off a hockey trade like that.

Kapanen would probably be one of the lower options, but I could see it happening if the Devils brass really likes Kapanen.

If you're looking for a right-handed RW, I would think the Sharks would package Labanc with something else to try and make a move here but I definitely get why people would value Meier more.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It’s only a coin flip if you’re a Devils fan and one year is absolutely nothing. It’s a minor plus being right handed but a #4 RHD doesn’t pull a #2 LHD one for one.

Wasn’t he a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

Yeah except there's no #4 RHD or #2 LHD there unless you're an Oilers fan, just two #3s (I'm not a Devils fan in the least).

Severson was a scratch in the playoffs because his coach was an idiot and paid for it, much like Nate Schmidt initially being a scratch in the playoffs for the Caps in 2017. What was Klefbom up to in the playoffs I forget?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I would also note that the report is that teams are calling the Devils about Severson. If Edmonton is one of them, it can only be the 10th overall that's involved.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah except there's no #4 RHD or #2 LHD there unless you're an Oilers fan, just two #3s (I'm not a Devils fan in the least).

Severson was a scratch in the playoffs because his coach was an idiot and paid for it, much like Nate Schmidt initially being a scratch in the playoffs for the Caps in 2017. What was Klefbom up to in the playoffs I forget?

Recovering from a shoulder cleanup.

What’s the only reason you guys made the playoffs again? Right, fleecing the Oilers. Yes, our GM is really bad at trading. No, Oiler fans don’t want you guys to have an ‘oh damn Klefbom IS really good’ moment six months from now.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Recovering from a shoulder cleanup.

What’s the only reason you guys made the playoffs again? Right, fleecing the Oilers. Yes, our GM is really bad at trading. No, Oiler fans don’t want you guys to have an ‘oh damn Klefbom IS really good’ moment six months from now.

Does any Devils fan actually want Klefbom for Severson? The whole talk is based on the absurdity of there being a sizeable gap between them when they're really both inconsistent #3s.

The reason you got fleeced in the first place (Reinhart), second place (MVP) and will probably get fleeced again for a 3rd time this year is because Klefbom ISN'T really that good and needs help constantly.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Does any Devils fan actually want Klefbom for Severson? The whole talk is based on the absurdity of there being a sizeable gap between them when they're really both inconsistent #3s.

The reason you got fleeced in the first place (Reinhart), second place (MVP) and will probably get fleeced again for a 3rd time this year is because Klefbom ISN'T really that good and needs help constantly.

You honestly need to dig into Klefbom’s numbers more. He was looked at as an emerging #1 by guys like Friedman and absolutely can get back there when healthy. I don’t see the same dynamic elements in Severson. He had some magic his rookie year and since then has been fairly mediocre.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I’m a devil fan he’s actually the f***ing WOAT. If we got a second for him I’d be happy.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011

Severson is not an inconsistent 3. He’s hardly capable of playing nhl hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad