Devils Rebuild - How Long Is Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

This team reminds of the Rangers team coming out of the lockout built around Lundqvist.

I'm willing to bet they are in the mix for a playoff spot, anything short of that is a failure. Whether they qualify is different. If anyone here has a fetish of some sort of dynasty or bust they are setting themselves for misery.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Things absolutely change fast and unpredictably. No question about it. We can only discuss what we can reasonably see in front of us, and that to me means we are not that close to even a playoff spot. I was just trying to get the pulse of what folks on this board have in the way of expectations for how long they think it will take to reach certain levels of competition again.

It is July 8th.

We have no idea what we have "reasonably in front of us."

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I think the rebuild will take at least 3 years. Also need to see who will be Schneider's successor once the rebuild is over.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think the rebuild will take at least 3 years. Also need to see who will be Schneider's successor once the rebuild is over.

no we don't

do the Rangers know who Lundqvist's "successor" will be? he is 33 years old. hell, they just traded Talbot for an underwhelming return.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
This team reminds of the Rangers team coming out of the lockout built around Lundqvist.

I'm willing to bet they are in the mix for a playoff spot, anything short of that is a failure. Whether they qualify is different. If anyone here has a fetish of some sort of dynasty or bust they are setting themselves for misery.

It's absolutely not a failure if we don't finish near a playoff spot this year. I have no idea why you keep saying this.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
no we don't

do the Rangers know who Lundqvist's "successor" will be? he is 33 years old. hell, they just traded Talbot for an underwhelming return.

We do because I don't believe in Schneider like you do. I still don't think he is the answer. I will have to be convinced when we change to the new system and he can handle the holes our defense leaves behind.

If he can handle it and gets better at puck handling then we won't worry but I think at some point kinkade will surpass him.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

See, this is what I don't understand. At all.

Last year was Cory's FIRST assignment as a full-time NHL starting goalie. And he freakin' killed it. To suggest that he'll be declining anytime soon, IMO, is entirely misled.

I wish people would stop just looking at age and using that to evaluate players and their careers.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We do because I don't believe in Schneider like you do. I still don't think he is the answer. I will have to be convinced when we change to the new system and he can handle the holes our defense leaves behind.

If he can handle it and gets better at puck handling then we won't worry but I think at some point kinkade will surpass him.

Did you see our SA/60 last year? Those weren't enough holes for him to handle?

I agree with you point about his stick handling. But I don't see how any Devils fan can watch last season and reasonably say they don't have faith in Cory.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

This certainly doesn't matter as much as you think. Lundy is terrible at handling the puck, and he's one of the best in the league.

If Schneider didn't sway your opinion of him last season then I don't know what will. He was a glimmering star on an otherwise dreadful team, literally the only reason we didn't get a top 3 pick I'd wager.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
It is July 8th.

We have no idea what we have "reasonably in front of us."

Just how much do you expect will happen before the season starts? Whether our fourth line RW is Kalinin or Thompson isn't exactly going to make the difference. Are you expecting some blockbuster involving Patrick Sharp or something? Certainly there could be some unanticipated move(s), but on July 8th 90% of your roster (or your pool of players that eventually become the roster) is already known.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

They didn't have holes last year when they were routinely giving up 35 shots a game? If their D gives up as many/more shots this year that's bad news in terms of their development. And people act like it's going to be an '85 Oilers type system because of the dopey PR slogan of fast, attacking, supportive when we haven't actually seen the guts of the system in action. Hynes and company were actually pretty good defensively in the AHL.

And as far as the question it's hard to quantify in a time period...what I define as success this year is the young players showing improvement and finding out answers for a few guys up front. How that manifests itself in record who knows. Now if the guys new management brings in (Hynes, Palmeri, etc) start becoming failures then it's fair to criticize the rebuild sooner rather than later.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

:laugh:

what an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Schneider was BOMBARDED with shots last year. we gave up I think the 5th most shots in the NHL and he put up a .925 SV% and 2.26 GAA. Cory Schneider is the absolute LAST thing this team should be worried about.

Keith Kinkaid has played in what, 10 NHL games? and all of the sudden he will become an elite goalie? come on now.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
See, this is what I don't understand. At all.

Last year was Cory's FIRST assignment as a full-time NHL starting goalie. And he freakin' killed it. To suggest that he'll be declining anytime soon, IMO, is entirely misled.

I wish people would stop just looking at age and using that to evaluate players and their careers.

Not looking at age at all. I believe if Cory was the answer Vancouver would have kept him. I think he has consistency issues and I don't know how well he will improve. I certainly don't believe age is a factor because Marty was performing best at this age.

GhostofKenKlee

It's absolutely not a failure if we don't finish near a playoff spot this year. I have no idea why you keep saying this.

After seeing the dark clouds lifted it's good to know muckrakers will remain just that.:shakehead

Because that's how I feel, they should be able to build upon last years wins and ADD. Hynes is this dynamic force plus dropping dead wood and players playing to what they can and being competent. Yes, I think they should be better. What a concept...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

LOL like he couldn't handle some of the WORST holes a defense left behind in New Jersey in the last 25 years last season?:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just how much do you expect will happen before the season starts? Whether our fourth line RW is Kalinin or Thompson isn't exactly going to make the difference. Are you expecting some blockbuster involving Patrick Sharp or something? Certainly there could be some unanticipated move(s), but on July 8th 90% of your roster (or your pool of players that eventually become the roster) is already known.

The Islanders acquired two top-four defensemen (Boychuk and Leddy) during camp last year when cap-strapped teams were doing last-minute shedding.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Not looking at age at all. I believe if Cory was the answer Vancouver would have kept him. I think he has consistency issues and I don't know how well he will improve. I certainly don't believe age is a factor because Marty was performing best at this age.

Using Vancouver's decision-making as a measuring stick is doomed to fail from the start. They traded Schneider so that Luongo could be the guy, then they traded Lou. Lack is most definitely a better goalie than Markstrom, arguably a better goalie than Miller, and yet he was traded. Teams can make mistakes that don't accurately reflect the abilities of a player.

Schneider is the answer. Canucks fans were very sad to see him leave, they sang his praises last year along with us, saying it was a mistake to let him go.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Vancouver hasn't kept ANY goalie...they 'dumped' Cory cause they couldn't trade Luongo. Then they finally found a deal for Luongo and brought in Miller. Now they traded Eddie Lack, who outplayed Miller and Luongo the last couple years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Vancouver would have kept him? They wanted to keep him, they just had a HUGE contract to Luongo and weren't able to get out of it until Torts benched him later that year in the stadium series game, and Florida finally gave up on Markstrom.

And the last two Vancouver GM's did not know what in the hell they were doing at all.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
:laugh:

what an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Schneider was BOMBARDED with shots last year. we gave up I think the 5th most shots in the NHL and he put up a .925 SV% and 2.26 GAA. Cory Schneider is the absolute LAST thing this team should be worried about.

Keith Kinkaid has played in what, 10 NHL games? and all of the sudden he will become an elite goalie? come on now.

What part of consistency don't you understand? He had some amazing games which bumped up his SV% by a lot, and then he had some really bad ones. his SV% was lower than in the past.

What a totally ridiculous statement.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I think you need to familiarize yourself with the Schneids/Bobby Lu fiasco in Vancouver.

I think it's safe to say the vast majority of Nucks fans were PISSED at the trade and the return.

GhostofKenKlee

Vancouver would have kept him? They wanted to keep him, they just had a HUGE contract to Luongo and weren't able to get out of it until Torts benched him later that year in the stadium series game, and Florida finally gave up on Markstrom.

And the last two Vancouver GM's did not know what in the hell they were doing at all.

Yep one is gone and his replacement makes fans miss Gillis.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What part of consistency don't you understand? He had some amazing games which bumped up his SV% by a lot, and then he had some really bad ones. his SV% was lower than in the past.

What a totally ridiculous statement.

youre just making things up now.

his career SV% is .925. his SV% in 2014-15 was .925. can't get much more clear cut and consistent than that.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vancouver hasn't kept ANY goalie...they dumped Cory cause they couldn't trade Luongo. Then they finally found a deal for Luongo and brought in Miller. Now they traded Eddie Lack, who outplayed Miller and Luongo the last couple years.

Yup like I was just saying, the last two GM's don't know what the hell they're doing up there. As bad as Gillis was at the end there, their fans hate Benning even more. And for good reason too.

They traded another young goaltender, so they could keep a bottom 5 starting goaltender in the league. And I don't give a **** what Don Cherry or the media say, There's no more than 5 worst starting goaltenders in the league than Ryan Miller. He's living off a reputation from over half a decade ago.

So are people gonna say ''Well if Eddie Lack is really good, they wouldn't have traded him and kept Miller''. Though at the same time, Lack wasn't as proven or experienced yet when they dumped him as Schneider was.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I don't expect much, but I'm also keeping an open mind as far as what can POSSIBLY happen. Basically wait and see. And don't jump to conclusions.

I'm not sure where you get that 90% figure from, and how you can even say that most of our roster is "known."

Just screams of fans dying for a dialogue when we're in the dead of the offseason. And, IMO, it's a stupid dialogue. We should be discussing this in September during training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad