Devils Rebuild - How Long Is Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
The Islanders acquired two top-four defensemen (Boychuk and Leddy) during camp last year when cap-strapped teams were doing last-minute shedding.

It would be foolish to say nothing could happen.

Anyway, none of this relates to my original question, unless folks are going to change their opinion on how lengthy time-wise this rebuild will take based on a camp move or two.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What part of consistency don't you understand? He had some amazing games which bumped up his SV% by a lot, and then he had some really bad ones. his SV% was lower than in the past.

What a totally ridiculous statement.

His save percentage was lower than years in Vancouver, in which he wasn't a starter and played a much lower sample size of games.

So which goaltenders in the league would you take over Schneider?

I can't wait to soil myself when I see this list.

GhostofKenKlee

I love how one of the most consistent goalies the last few seasons is branded inconsistent.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This certainly doesn't matter as much as you think. Lundy is terrible at handling the puck, and he's one of the best in the league.

If Schneider didn't sway your opinion of him last season then I don't know what will. He was a glimmering star on an otherwise dreadful team, literally the only reason we didn't get a top 3 pick I'd wager.

We may have been worse than the Oilers if we had Sievens and they had Schneider. They had better offense and terrible goaltending.

Even swap Smith and Schneider. Arizona had better offense than us (though not by a whole lot), their starting goaltender was just ****ing terrible.

Speaking of puck handling goaltenders, aside from Carey Price, most of the better puckhandling goaltenders in the league aren't very good. And a lot of the better goaltenders over the past decade, aren't good at handling the puck. Even some of your better goaltenders of all time (outside of Brodeur) are not good puck handling goaltenders. Ever see Patrick Roy try to play the puck? LOL.

Lundqvist isn't particularly great at handling the puck, Jonathan Quick is pretty terrible at handling the puck. Probably worse than Schneider.

And then there's Mike Smith. He's one of the better puck handling goaltenders in the league, and at the same time he's also one of the worst starting goaltenders at stopping the puck in the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only team that was nearly as bad as us last year with pretty good goaltending was actually Philadelphia.

Though their goaltending was atrocious when Steve Mason wasn't in. Mason was great but only played in 51 games due to different injuries. They were awful with Ray Emery (there's a ****in surprise) and their AHL third stronger guy.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I love how one of the most consistent goalies the last few seasons is branded inconsistent.

To be fair, he was inconsistent the first couple months of the season. But once he got settled in as being "the guy" he was fantastic. Without him we would have probably been right there with Buffalo/Arizona/Edmonton in the standings.

GhostofKenKlee

To be fair, he was inconsistent the first couple months of the season. But once he got settled in as being "the guy" he was fantastic. Without him we would have probably been right there with Buffalo/Arizona/Edmonton in the standings.

If we want to rake him over the coals for that, the whole team was and is guilty of that. Competency was an issue last season up and down the roster and doomed the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad