Confirmed with Link: Devils Re-Sign Jordin Tootoo (1 year, $825k)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
All those players are on contracts? Shero, and not the un-named coach, is doing player personnel choices, on his own?

We need bodies to ice a team. Simple as that. And EVERYONE knows it's not going to be a good one this year. There's no way around that. No cream of the crop UFA to pick up, we're drafting at a year+ develop cycle position, and we have minimal trade assets without shooting ourselves in the foot.

Am I missing something here that everyone else is seeing? You need a full roster, regardless of how they play.

Bodies, yes, but not necessarily the same bodies. I'd like to see some sort of direction taken where we see younger guys getting more time, older anchor-weight vets shown the door, an encouraging move or two that brings in a productive player.

Do I expect the playoffs? No. Direction, however? Yes, please.

Cammalleri-Zajac-XXX
Henrique-Josefson/Gomez-XXX
Elias-Josefson/Gomez-Bernier/Boucher
Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

Hopefully we can slot in Marner in one of those placeholders. Acquire a guy like Shaw (or a similar relatively cheap move that makes us younger). One of the former two scenarios don't work out? Throw money at a low-risk guy like Frolik in FA.

It's not hard to ice a full roster next year, while still cutting dead weight like Zubrus and Ruutu out of the equation.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you. I guess if we are just going to "surrender" this year and go with Bernier, Tootoo, etc. on the 2nd line and upgrade next year when Patty, Gio, Zubrus are off the roster then we have no problem but if we are going to acquire a player or two and maybe have the #6OA make the team then we have too many guys (or will after we re-sign Bernier and Gomez). Plain and simple.

Pump the brakes man, 2nd thing we've agreed on in less than a week :laugh:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
You think our 1st rd draft pick will slot right into the top 6? I don't see it happening. Very low chance.

Throwing money at UFAs - and worse off, throwing years at them - is exactly why guys like Ruutu and Zubrus are problems now.

Changing the roster over just because isn't direction, that's change for the sake of change. If all your offering is stop-gaps, that's NOT direction, that's a temporary change, just for the sake of it!

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Ruutu had like 2 less points than tootoo and he didn't get to play in the top 6 or have pP time. I got the hate for the salary but it's only a year left but I don't see how tootoo is so much better for the bottom six.

And if he's in the top 6 then the team probably sucks even more than last year.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Pump the brakes man, 2nd thing we've agreed on in less than a week :laugh:

Haha. I think we agree that icing essentially the same group of forwards next year is just a no-go for a lot of reasons. We can't turn everything over at once, but like you said we need some kind of direction. Using the 1st round pick is a start, but Lou and Shero are on record saying we need goals so something has to give somewhere.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You think our 1st rd draft pick will slot right into the top 6? I don't see it happening. Very low chance.

Throwing money at UFAs - and worse off, throwing years at them - is exactly why guys like Ruutu and Zubrus are problems now.

Changing the roster over just because isn't direction, that's change for the sake of change. If all your offering is stop-gaps, that's NOT direction, that's a temporary change, just for the sake of it!

Zubrus is a problem because he's 36 and his legs don't work anymore. Ruutu has been continued to be under-used/mis-used, and has been largely invisible in his entire stint in NJ.

Frolik (who I've said is the only guy in FA I'd give more than 3 years to) is 27. Right about 0.5 PPG for his career. Very solid middle-6 guy, and every Jets/Hawks fan will confirm that. Even if we gave him 5 years (I personally think 4x4 or even 4x4.5 would get it done), his contract would expire when he's the same age as Ruutu is currently.

That's getting younger by weeding out the older guys. Even if you view Frolik as a stopgap-type signing, that's at least some *semblance* of direction.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think anyone expecting a big upgrade on the forward position this off-season is going to be disappointed. Best we can hope for is a shrewd trade for a promising young forward with top six potential on a cheap contract who hasn't really had a chance to shine in exchange for Gelinas or something. We'd all love for this forward problem to be solved immediately this off-season, but I just don't see that as realistically happening.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think anyone expecting a big upgrade on the forward position this off-season is going to be disappointed. Best we can hope for is a shrewd trade for a promising young forward with top six potential on a cheap contract who hasn't really had a chance to shine in exchange for Gelinas or something. We'd all love for this forward problem to be solved immediately this off-season, but I just don't see that as realistically happening.

Honestly our best hope is a surprise at camp in someone like Coleman or Blandasi. Not much else out there.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

It won't be immediate. That's known.

But there are definite steps to be taken in the right direction. Icing the same forward lineup doesn't go down that path.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

But there are definite steps to be taken in the right direction. Icing the same forward lineup doesn't go down that path.

With what players? We can't fill every hole in the lineup next year from outside the organization. We don't have the assets to trade for that many players. The free agency market is extremely shallow, and rushing underdeveloped prospects is an awful idea.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
With what players? We can't fill every hole in the lineup next year from outside the organization. We don't have the assets to trade for that many players. The free agency market is extremely shallow, and rushing underdeveloped prospects is an awful idea.

Lineup c&p'd from my above post:

Cammalleri-Zajac-XXX
Henrique-Josefson/Gomez-XXX
Elias-Josefson/Gomez-Bernier/Boucher
Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

Fill one placeholder with a Frolik-type UFA.

Fill the other with a trade. Gelinas+2nd seems consensus as a package we wouldn't hate to see traded.

That's two off-season moves. (Probably would need a third, a d-man signing to fill Gelinas' void). And that lineup is rid of Ruutu and Zub, and also void of our 6th pick.

Thus, in my eyes, direction.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Signing Tootoo doesn't mean everything will be the same although most will probably be since there really aren't clear upgrades on the UFA market. We have no idea what Shero has planned. This is just a first and very simple move.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Signing Tootoo doesn't mean everything will be the same although most will probably be since there really aren't clear upgrades on the UFA market. We have no idea what Shero has planned. This is just a first and very simple move.

I'm absolutely not knocking this signing. I like it a lot. This whole dialogue stemmed from someone saying we don't have a "bodies" issue.

If anything, I take this signing as a potential indication that Shero plans on cutting the fat from our bottom-6. A first step in solving our "bodies" issue.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm absolutely not knocking this signing. I like it a lot. This whole dialogue stemmed from someone saying we don't have a "bodies" issue.

If anything, I take this signing as a potential indication that Shero plans on cutting the fat from our bottom-6. A first step in solving our "bodies" issue.

Ah, then we don't really have an argument. :DI'm happy with Tootoo coming back, and any movements Shero makes to cut the fat as you say from our roster will be welcome by me as long as it doesn't come at the expense of our future, but I don't think anyone here wants to sacrifice the future for temporary, small success.

Camille the Eel

what? :laugh:

Matteau just turned 21 like 2 months ago....

hes either on the Devils in 2015-16 or he is playing for another organization. he can't be sent down anymore, he'd have to go on waivers and he would absolutely get claimed.

Thanks for the correction I don't know where I got that idea - must have been thinking of someone else who was called up last year briefly or maybe the confusion is even worse. Mea media culpa I could have checked.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

This signing doesn't really indicate that because we have no RWs. We have to many bodies on the left side. Even if we didn't sign Tootoo something was going to have to be done about the over abundance of bottom 6 LWs we have ATM with only one we know that has successfully played on the right which is Zubs.

They could attempt to move Matteau over, but that is a process that really should of started last year in Albany if that is a plan.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This signing doesn't really indicate that because we have no RWs. We have to many bodies on the left side. Even if we didn't sign Tootoo something was going to have to be done about the over abundance of bottom 6 LWs we have ATM with only one we know that has successfully played on the right which is Zubs.

They could attempt to move Matteau over, but that is a process that really should of started last year in Albany if that is a plan.

Well, that's what I'm saying. I'm hoping Tootoo takes Zubrus' spot as 4RW, thus opening the window for a buy-out or a move.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Tootoo is not better than Ruutu. For whatever reason the management had a man crush and Tootoo and gave him extended ice time up top.

Tootoo will not repeat is 13% shooting percentage. It's whatever. Hopefully he doesn't play above the fourth line or keep guys like Matteau out of the lineup.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Tootoo is not better than Ruutu. For whatever reason the management had a man crush and Tootoo and gave him extended ice time up top.

Tootoo will not repeat is 13% shooting percentage. It's whatever. Hopefully he doesn't play above the fourth line or keep guys like Matteau out of the lineup.

^this.

If we are going to bring forwards back from last year, I have the least problem with Tootoo, though. If we need a goon for those early season nights in Philly to prevent someone from breaking his hand - it's good he can skate, hit and occasionally light the lamp too.

Bernier isn't going to replicate this season. Neither is Gomez.

Like everyone else, I think Ruutuu was underutilized and while he isn't worth the money, is decent as a 3rd/4th liner.

JJ needs a bigger role. Matteau needs to get in and stay in. Hopefully Boucher as well. Hopefully 1 other of our kids shows up and one 1/2way decent UFA signing comes to play.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

Tootoo is more talented than people give him credit for. No, he will never be a legitimate top 6 guy, but he's got good legs and he's not an offensive black hole. Clearly the team was missing speed and Tootoo was one of the quicker players last season, plus he added a sand paper element to the top six that you don't get with Cammalleri, Elias, Zajac, etc. Also, Tootoo's a RW and Matteau is a LW.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Tootoo is more talented than people give him credit for. No, he will never be a legitimate top 6 guy, but he's got good legs and he's not an offensive black hole. Clearly the team was missing speed and Tootoo was one of the quicker players last season, plus he added a sand paper element to the top six that you don't get with Cammalleri, Elias, Zajac, etc. Also, Tootoo's a RW and Matteau is a LW.

Bolded are the reasons why I'm excited to see what Tootoo can do with Matteau next year, assuming they're fourth line linemates.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

He also earned his way up. He started making things happen on the lower lines, got a bump up and for some strange reason developed amazing chemistry with Camm.

That said no matter where he was he showed a lot more skill and speed then I realized he had. As you said not top 6 worthy on a full roster, but far from a black hole.

He is like a more talented lil Gio. Same kind of grit and motor, but with some actual skill and finish.

Hell Tootoo can easily become a smaller, faster, less fall down version of Clarkson honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad