Devils Preview on NHL Radio Power Play

stevenwoj

Jan 31, 2006
South Brunswick, NJ
NHL Radio's Power Play is the morning show hosted by Gord Stellick and Rob Simpson. They are doing their NHL team previews and today was the Nashville Predators, Montreal Candians, and New Jersey Devils. Here are a few highlights from the NJ preview:
- Devils were one of surprised teams in the "34 Minutes That Shook The NHL" (Hall trade)
- Hall pickup is huge, Henrique connection mentioned.
- Healthy Cammalleri will be a good thing
- Lowest goals scored and no help from the blueline means the team has it's work cut out for them.
- Simpson predicts a fun season but no playoffs.
- Hynes interview clips:
- Knowing players already makes this preseason a lot easier. Last season was more of a getting to know you period, gauging skill levels, etc.
- Hynes on addition of Clowe as coach - He has a good hockey mind, had to work hard to get to where he was as a player, earned his way every step in the process. Since he was recently a player, he will help the coaches coach the current players.
- Hynes on other coaches - Great teachers, they help the message get to the players
- Simpson called the Devils a team on a budget that has to rely on young talent. (not sure I agree)
- Beau Bennet has a great opportunity in NJ since it was hard to crack the line-up in Pitts (again, not sure i agree, was that the case, or was his injury history the case?)
- Zacha will get a good look, move to wing will help him be a power forward given his frame.
- Gord Stellick noted the under rated pick-up of Lovejoy being a great singing.
- Simpson sees Quincy as a 5/6 defenseman but a good pick-up
- Both noted how solid the team is in net and that Kinkaid is a good back-up
- Overall, need more solid offensive performance from D, noted Severson.
- Mentioned not to expect much "on ice" if Elias makes his return, they cited November as a time frame to expect something if it were to happen.
- Simpson noted that Hall brings excitement that will help entice fans to go to games because a "more exciting vibe is needed" in NJ.
- They closed by saying that rebuilding is a slow process but is going in the right direction.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
I heard this too. First I heard of us being a "budget" team. Neither guy sounded like they watched the team play last year either. I can't wait for this team to prove sooooooo many people wrong.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Gave this a listen myself and really just shook my head when they called us a budget team. Makes me think they haven't really paid attention to the ownership situation since the previous regime days. We're not a budget team but we're not throwing money away. Shero has already said he has freedom to do as he sees fit with the cap but he's being smart. Regardless, that's to our benefit. Other than that, I think they were generally in the ballpark. Sadly, I don't see Elias coming back :cry: I think they were spot on when they said we'd be fun to watch but I'd disagree about the playoffs not being possible. Likely, no but definitely possible. We're better in most aspects and despite the loss of Larsson, on paper and statistically Lovejoy will cover his departure for the most part (and I am a Larsson fan) so our D is probably better than last season. We have a 4th line, that's a good thing. Hall, yeah, that also happened. Overall, we're better from the net out even if there are some question marks. It's going to be a fun season and like others have said, I can't wait to prove the doubters wrong yet again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well it's a lazy narrative...the fact is they have had payrolls near or at the bottom of the league the last couple years but how much of that's due to a lot of older guys coming off the payroll at the same time while free agency's become a wasteland? And going younger doesn't always have to mean you're on a budget. If they're still on a bottom five payroll in two years that's another story.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think the Power Play (which is actually in the afternoon) crew does a better job of analysis than Stellick and Simpson. Simpson couldn't even pronounce Henrique or Zacha properly.:laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Sounds like some more people that shouldn't be talking about things that they don't know about. Yet they are doing this professionally? Woof! Then again, this is a sport with Barry Melrose as one of its faces.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Power Play (which is actually in the afternoon) crew does a better job of analysis than Stellick and Simpson. Simpson couldn't even pronounce Henrique or Zacha properly.:laugh:

I do enjoy listening to certain podcasts once in a while, but I'm always annoyed with blatant mispronunciations, especially when they're actually covering a team that they're supposedly fans of. I understand if it's a prospect, that no one really knows how to pronounce their name.

Like for Blake Pietila, I never really knew how to pronounce his name, until he was called up last year. I had never heard it pronounced before and kept saying it to myself as Pie-Tilla.

There is one guy that does a youtube channel, I watched one of his videos recently and he brought up Pavel Bure and really butchered his last name. He called pronounced it either ''Bora'' or ''Byora'' or something.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I've been listening to XM NHL radio just about everyday for the last 3 months, it is truly terrible. There is more hockey knowledge on this board than there is on that entire network. It really is just a series of tired sterotypes and old memes

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've been listening to XM NHL radio just about everyday for the last 3 months, it is truly terrible. There is more hockey knowledge on this board than there is on that entire network. It really is just a series of tired sterotypes and old memes

''Devils play that trapping system''

''Pekka Rinne is a top 10, if not top 5 goaltender in the world''

''Jim Rutherford is one of the best GM's in the game''

''Columbus has a bright future and JD and Jarmo are doing a great job there, I like what they've done''

''Who do I think is gonna come out of each division and make the playoffs this year? Well let me pull up a list of the 16 teams that made it last year first''

I can picture all of this being said on there. I can almost hear one of these guys like Kevin Allen on there or one of these guys that hang out with Eklund. And I know Kevin Allen was around and a hockey journalist LONG before Eklund, but he was a regular on his podcasts for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad