Prospect Info: Devils possible 4th Round targets

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Devils unfortunately have no picks in the second or third rounds. This is not horribly upsetting in that:
1)We drafted Nico Hischier last year
2)We made the playoffs this year
3)The Devils lucked out when a top LD in Ty Smith fell to #17

Essentially, there is more to be happy about than unhappy about. This is not to say that Ray Shero will not try to recoup a second or third round pick -- there is a strong possibility he will. It would be amazing for the Devils to trade up and get a stud RW like Akil Thomas, a physical RD like Ty Emberson or a potential top-6 scoring center like Jake Wise.

Here is my list of the top dozen overall available players going into Day Two, just in case:
1) RD B. Wilde
2) RW A. Thomas
3) LD J. McIsaac
4) C J. Wise
5) RD J. Woo
6) RW S. Noel
7) RD C. Addison
8) RD T. Emberson
9) RW J. Berggren
10) LW B. McLaughlin
11) LD J. Tyonchick
12) RW K. Marchenko

Now, for guys the Devils have a shot at even if they don't gain any picks:
4th Round
C Philipp Kurashev
-- Swiss C used great hands and fluid skates to score at a point-per-game pace in the QMJHL
C Riley Damiani -- knocked down in the rankings because of small stature and supporting role in Kitchener, Damiani has untapped offensive potential and incredible smarts
LW Ruslan Iskhakov -- this kid is very small but his hands are among the best in the draft, real boom potential
LW Nando Eggenberger -- Swiss power F can play either wing, fierce competitor who hits and has some scoring pop
RW Vladislav Kotkov -- huge (6'4-225) kid can skate and blast the puck, topped 20 goals in his first season in the Q
RW Albin Eriksson -- Swedish RW is a giant (6'4-210) and very mobile, can also shoot the lights out, one of the youngest draft-eligible players are reportedly still growing
LD Slava Demin -- California native is big and skates well, seen as shut-down, physical D with second-pairing offensive upside
LD Martin Fehervary -- extremely fast, physical and defensively sound, this Slovakian stud has everything but high scoring upside. His ceiling is limited, but his floor is higher than several first rounders
RD Libor Zabransky -- the young Czech is big, fast, sees the ice well and is very good in his own zone. Should be a prototypical bottom-4 NHL D.
RD Alec Regula -- this native Michigan-er could be one of the big sleepers of the draft -- 6'4 and mobile and smart and physical. Could bloom into a 20+ minute per game stud on an NHL second pairing for years to come.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm wondering if there's any 2nd or 3rd year eligible guys out there worth considering. Shero seems to pick 1 or 2 every draft, although having fewer picks this year may limit this option.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I am curious what Ray might dangle to move back up. Someone like JQ? A bunch of their later picks and 2019 picks?

I really like Quenneville, but let's face it. At LW, the Devils have Hall, MoJo, Wood, Bratt and Coleman at the NHL level and Quenneville and Boqvist ready to compete for the team. Maroon is another LW who really fit in well last year and could be re-signed. So someone's gotta go, and if Shero wants more picks, LW is the strength to trade from.

Reactions: nugg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Devils unfortunately have no picks in the second or third rounds. This is not horribly upsetting in that:
1)We drafted Nico Hischier last year
2)We made the playoffs this year
3)The Devils lucked out when a top LD in Ty Smith fell to #17

Essentially, there is more to be happy about than unhappy about. This is not to say that Ray Shero will not try to recoup a second or third round pick -- there is a strong possibility he will. It would be amazing for the Devils to trade up and get a stud RW like Akil Thomas, a physical RD like Ty Emberson or a potential top-6 scoring center like Jake Wise.

Here is my list of the top dozen overall available players going into Day Two, just in case:
1) RD B. Wilde
2) RW A. Thomas
3) LD J. McIsaac
4) C J. Wise
5) RD J. Woo
6) RW S. Noel
7) RD C. Addison
8) RD T. Emberson
9) RW J. Berggren
10) LW B. McLaughlin
11) LD J. Tyonchick
12) RW K. Marchenko

Now, for guys the Devils have a shot at even if they don't gain any picks:
4th Round
C Philipp Kurashev
-- Swiss C used great hands and fluid skates to score at a point-per-game pace in the QMJHL
C Riley Damiani -- knocked down in the rankings because of small stature and supporting role in Kitchener, Damiani has untapped offensive potential and incredible smarts
LW Ruslan Iskhakov -- this kid is very small but his hands are among the best in the draft, real boom potential
LW Nando Eggenberger -- Swiss power F can play either wing, fierce competitor who hits and has some scoring pop
RW Vladislav Kotkov -- huge (6'4-225) kid can skate and blast the puck, topped 20 goals in his first season in the Q
RW Albin Eriksson -- Swedish RW is a giant (6'4-210) and very mobile, can also shoot the lights out, one of the youngest draft-eligible players are reportedly still growing
LD Slava Demin -- California native is big and skates well, seen as shut-down, physical D with second-pairing offensive upside
LD Martin Fehervary -- extremely fast, physical and defensively sound, this Slovakian stud has everything but high scoring upside. His ceiling is limited, but his floor is higher than several first rounders
RD Libor Zabransky -- the young Czech is big, fast, sees the ice well and is very good in his own zone. Should be a prototypical bottom-4 NHL D.
RD Alec Regula -- this native Michigan-er could be one of the big sleepers of the draft -- 6'4 and mobile and smart and physical. Could bloom into a 20+ minute per game stud on an NHL second pairing for years to come.

Some of these players sound way too good for the fourth round. And how does any team pass on a guy named Nando Eggenberger? That’s gold Jerry!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I am curious what Ray might dangle to move back up. Someone like JQ? A bunch of their later picks and 2019 picks?[/QUOTE

Unless a decent second round pick materializes for JQ it may be time to bite the bullet. Why overpay wig next year’s picks for lower picks this year? Just suck it up and start fresh for next season. Maybe some team wants the negotiating rights to Hayes and Stafford. I’m sure that will return a BLT on wheat toast.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
I really like Quenneville, but let's face it. At LW, the Devils have Hall, MoJo, Wood, Bratt and Coleman at the NHL level and Quenneville and Boqvist ready to compete for the team. Maroon is another LW who really fit in well last year and could be re-signed. So someone's gotta go, and if Shero wants more picks, LW is the strength to trade from.
Exactly what I was thinking as well. Perhaps Chicago would like to reunite the Boqvist brothers and even perhaps the Quennevile relatives!

Reactions: My3Sons

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
why would we move JQ for a 2nd rounder? id rather have JQ. too much "shiny new toy" here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
why would we move JQ for a 2nd rounder? id rather have JQ. too much "shiny new toy" here

People just don't neccesarily see him as part of the future here given he's a LW with our current depth there. I do think there's a little too much in the way of assuming he will be traded because he was publicly chastised last year.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
People just don't neccesarily see him as part of the future here given he's a LW with our current depth there. I do think there's a little too much in the way of assuming he will be traded because he was publicly chastised last year.
People are just bored if they want JQ traded for a pick. He is still producing in the AHL and all it takes is one team to like him for him to be useful in a trade package for a roster player. If not then having depth in Bing is a good thing. We had 20 picks the last two years.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Unless he's shown something to the organization lately, I wouldn't bank on him being here long term. I mean the AHL coach was disappointed with him, he was an after though for the big club a few times, he's injured often, and his work ethic was question. I like him but if we can get an EARLY second, Id do it.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
How about John Madden's son? Tyler Madden might be around in round 4. He'll be at Northeastern University in the NCAA next season. All in the family right?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My modern strategy were I in charge would be to take Russians, because they otherwise would have been 3rd Round picks. May as well roll-the-dice given odds of NHL success for 4th Round picks is relatively low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad