Devils or Leafs, who was the better team this season?

Who was better?

• Total voters

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Don't take into account ages, future, past, etc. just this season. Both went out in round 2 in 5 games. Devils were the lower seed but playing a Canes team with heavy injuries. Leafs were the higher seed but playing a Florida team on a heater including upsetting one of the greatest regular season teams ever in round 1. Which team was better this season? Not which team was more successful compared to expectations, just which one was better and who would've won in a series between them if they both advanced?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Don't take into account ages, future, past, etc. just this season. Both went out in round 2 in 5 games. Devils were the lower seed but playing a Canes team with heavy injuries. Leafs were the higher seed but playing a Florida team on a heater including upsetting one of the greatest regular season teams ever in round 1. Which team was better this season? Not which team was more successful compared to expectations, just which one was better and who would've won in a series between them if they both advanced?
Devils had 1 more point in the regular season, both teams went out in round 2.. Advantage NJ.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Devils had 1 more point in the regular season, both teams went out in round 2.. Advantage NJ.
leafs won the head to head regular season series vs nj.

nj 2nd round loss was way more lopsided than toronto. 3 of the losses were blowouts. nj got spanked. all but 1 of the fla-tor games were 1 goal games.

it took a gritty team to knock the leafs out, tor matches up well against skill teams. nj was arguably the softest team in the playoffs.

toronto would beat nj in 5 it 6.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
leafs won the head to head regular season series vs nj.

nj 2nd round loss was way more lopsided than toronto. 3 of the losses were blowouts. nj got spanked. all but 1 of the fla-tor games were 1 goal games.

it took a gritty team to knock the leafs out, tor matches up well against skill teams. nj was arguably the softest team in the playoffs.

toronto would beat nj in 5 it 6.
The Devils played the Rangers who had 107 points and finished 9th in the league and lost to Carolina who had 113 points, and finished 2nd in the league Toronto played a 98 point team in Tampa 13th in the league and lost to 92 point Panther team 17th in the league.

But I'm not arguing with you, I already know you hate the Devils.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The Devils played the Rangers who had 107 points and finished 9th in the league and lost to Carolina who had 113 points, and finished 2nd in the league Toronto played a 98 point team in Tampa 13th in the league and lost to 92 point Panther team 17th in the league.

But I'm not arguing with you, I already know you hate the Devils.
toronto played the team that went to 3 straight cup finals and won 2 of them.

i really like hughes and hischier and i think the devils have the potential to be a dynasty if they make the right decisions. i dont like the direction they are going right now, it's very leafs 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Well.. The Devils have somewhat of an excuse for their bad first two games with the whole "adapting to playoff hockey" if that still flies in round 2. Meawhile the Leafs have played "Playoff hockey" since 2017.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The AINEC thing doesn't really make sense.

The Devils finished one point better in the regular season. They had better underlying numbers. But yeah, one point separation. It was, in fact, literally very close.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
They were pretty darn close.

But I will say I am confident that the vast majority of Devils fans are thrilled with how this season played out, 2nd round loss and all. Don't think the same can be said about the Leafs.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Nearly same RS record, and same playoff performance... They're as even as possible, I don't understand people claiming it's Devils (or even "Devils AINEC", lol)...

We might say that Devils performed better relative to expectations, but this is not what this question was about...

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
toronto played the team that went to 3 straight cup finals and won 2 of them.

i dont hate the devils, a small handful devils fans really hate me. like starting threads about me on the devils board level cringe lol.

i really like hughes and hischier and i think the devils have the potential to be a dynasty if they make the right decisions. i dont like the direction they are going right now, it's very leafs 2.0.
How are they going to look like Leafs 2.0 ? Our captain and our franchise players are extended for under 9 mil per …..
We have Hamilton who was a Norris candidate , with two of the best D prospects in the world yet to play one full season… Id say that’s no where even remotely close to being the same as the Leafs build .
All of their core is home grown , drafted and developed players except for Hamilton and Meier …..
Ya , sorry pal. Once again you have a horrible take regarding the Devils

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
How are they going to look like Leafs 2.0 ? Our captain and our franchise players are extended for under 9 mil per …..
We have Hamilton who was a Norris candidate , with two of the best D prospects in the world yet to play one full season… Id say that’s no where even remotely close to being the same as the Leafs build .
All of their core is home grown , drafted and developed players except for Hamilton and Meier …..
Ya , sorry pal. Once again you have a horrible take regarding the Devils
both teams are heavy offense and light on defense and goaltending. both teams are very soft, especially in the top 6. its like a younger carbon copy. i will agree that jersey did much better with their contracts.

what year was hamilton a norris candidate?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The AINEC thing doesn't really make sense.

The Devils finished one point better in the regular season. They had better underlying numbers. But yeah, one point separation. It was, in fact, literally very close.

Yeah I was about to say I voted Devils but really it's a coin flip. Would've been a fun series to watch that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad