GDT: Devils @ Maple Leafs, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
fyLz.gif

After a big win last night, thought we should all toast the boys one more time.

1Hx9.gif

vzk.gif

@TheUnseenHand , sorry if you were planning another thread. I posted this and remembered you had honors from the big win last night.​

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
First live game in over 2 years, can't wait to see Gillies get blown up for 7+ goals.
I'm kind of doubting he'll be in, but I don't know, maybe he will be.

The last time we went with Daws the second night in a row things went VERY BADLY for him and us.

Then again, the last THREE TIMES we started Gillies went VERY BADLY for him and us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For what it's worth, Gillies has NOT looked good playing two nights in a row.

Small sample size, but he's been pretty poor the two times he played both nights, but he was also pretty poor the first night of the back to back the last time too.

This is pretty normal for goalies to not play well back to back.

As good as last night's win was and as much as I'd like to build on it, there's absolutely no reason to play Daws two nights in a row.

Put Gillies out there and hope he has a good game. Any bum can have a good game in the NHL, so you can't say he's not capable of it.

With one more back to back this weekend (and then hopefully Hammond being ready soon) these might be the last two times we have to see Gillies, depending on what they do with Daws, if they're gonna send him back to the AHL or not.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The mere notion of him in net again is so cringe, let alone against a team averaging 3.7 goals per game this season.
He's been so bad that he's overdue for one of these two scenarios to happen

Has a good game, stands on his head and allows anywhere from 0 to 2 goals on like 30-40 shots.

Or gets blown up for 5-7 goals against, with maybe only one being a stoppable one. The percentage of goals I've counted stoppable on him this year is almost unsustainably bad around 40%. I only even had Schneider's last two years around 32%-35% and the last year of Kinkaid around 31% or 32%.

In the last game literally 3 of the 5 goals were TERRIBLE, LOUSY, AWFUL goals. Then there was one borderline one (that got deflected and he dropped it back into play, so I didn't nail him on it for the deflection in front before it hit him and he lost it) and then one weird deflection that he had no chance on.

All 3 goals he allowed in the 3rd period of the last Tampa game were awful too.

Reactions: mtnet

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Totally agree, I would not play Daws again tonight. We ride young goalies hard enough as it is with the parade of injuries we've experienced in net. My sentiment was more along the lines of, yeah...it's gonna be Gillies. :help:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Totally agree, I would not play Daws again tonight. We ride young goalies hard enough as it is with the parade of injuries we've experienced in net. My sentiment was more along the lines of, yeah...it's gonna be Gillies. :help:
The only person that might benefit from Daws being in is Lindy Ruff, if a few more wins or at least just a few less blowouts save his job for next year.

And the two times we tried Daws two nights in a row didn't work out anyway.

Reactions: mtnet

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
For what it's worth, Gillies has NOT looked good playing two nights in a row.

Small sample size, but he's been pretty poor the two times he played both nights, but he was also pretty poor the first night of the back to back the last time too.

This is pretty normal for goalies to not play well back to back.

As good as last night's win was and as much as I'd like to build on it, there's absolutely no reason to play Daws two nights in a row.

Put Gillies out there and hope he has a good game. Any bum can have a good game in the NHL, so you can't say he's not capable of it.

With one more back to back this weekend (and then hopefully Hammond being ready soon) these might be the last two times we have to see Gillies, depending on what they do with Daws, if they're gonna send him back to the AHL or not.
Has Gillies looked good 1 night in a row?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ruff said he wants to win all twenty games.

It'll be Daws.
I don't think that means we'll play Daws every game, but after how much he particularly critiqued Gillies game on Saturday in the post game press conference, I wouldn't be surprised to see Daws in there.

And while I'm NEVER excited about seeing Gillies in net, I see no reason at this point to keep throwing Daws in there two nights in a row.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Has Gillies looked good 1 night in a row?
Arguably the only good game he played was the Montreal game where he allowed 1 goal on 31 shots, but really that was a freebie. Ducharme got fired the very next day.

I think he might have played well in that Carolina game where he only allowed 2 goals and those were the only two starts that he allowed under 3 goals.

His relief appearance in Calgary was sadly one of the best games he's played.

Even in most of his 3 goals on 30-something shot against games, the goals were not good. There was the one stinker short handed goal he allowed against Tampa on the road where he caught it and it came out of his glove and he just froze and was absolutely clueless (much like he was on the first goal against Edmonton) and it was in the back of the net before he realized where he it was.

I'm pretty sure I nailed him for all 3 goals in the LA game where he allowed like 3 goals on 35 shots. None of them were really bad goals, but they were either long glove shots and a couple that went through him that he was square to, even though I remember one was close range.

Then there was the 3 goals against game vs Pittsburgh, an afternoon game last month. Where he allowed 3 goals on like 35 shots, but one of them was the dreadful Mike Matheson point shot goal where there really was no excuse for a screen. His glove hand just sucks.

On the other side, I thought his first 2 starts here weren't that bad. One was against the Pens, one was against the Islanders. Both were before Blackwood was shut down. He allowed 3 goals on 20-something shots in both games, really no chance on any of those 6 goals. I also clearly remember not nailing him on any of the 3 goals he allowed in his one game with St. Louis where he allowed I think 3 goals on either 36 or 39 shots in an OT loss?

But after those first 9 goals allowed, I've got him on 22 goals and he's allowed 56 goals in total, So that's 22 of his last 47 goals. That's 47% of his goals. I know I'm cheating a little bit with the omission of the first 9, which is something that irritates me when others do it (But Cory was a .920% for 20 games after his 10 games of .850%! He's back!'') and so on, but that's still 39% of his overall goals and 41.5% of his Devils goals. My stoppable goal Vezina winner usually has about that much (Matt Murray last year) and mostly an even lower percentage than that. But if we're really lucky, he won't qualify as a finalist for that, due to not enough games played. Unless we're somehow cursed enough to see him in much of the final 19 games.

Reactions: TrufleShufle

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
You honestly never know how any nhl game with shake it out. We had a big win last night but we have struggled with consistency all season long after our decent start. We got depth scoring last night but tonight's game will only.be winnable in my eyes if Gillies can have a decent game and our special teams show up. No SHG given up please. Win or lose I'm just hoping to see the core players have good games.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad