Post-Game Talk: Devils lose again... this time to the Leafs 4-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Kovy looks lost out there IMO. He needs to find some chemistry with someone on this team. Maybe try Elias with him and Lokti?

Exactly. No point in spreading out the offense when there isn't any to begin with. The revolving door of LW on our top line is preventing any chemistry from developing.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Another thing that bothered me.

Stefan Matteau is a natural center, Andrei Loktionov is a natural left wing.

So then, why was MATTEAU playing left wing and LOKTIONOV playing center, ON THE SAME LINE?

I know the whole "forward position means something/nothing" argument has been beaten to death on these boards but I have no idea why you have two guys playing in foreign positions when they can just as easily play in their natural positions on the same line with zero negative consequences.

Especially young players. It's one thing to ask a veteran like Elias or Zubrus to play any position at a moments notice, much different to as a 19 year old rookie and a guy that's been a part of your team for three weeks.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Another thing that bothered me.

Stefan Matteau is a natural center, Andrei Loktionov is a natural left wing.

So then, why was MATTEAU playing left wing and LOKTIONOV playing center, ON THE SAME LINE?

I know the whole "forward position means something/nothing" argument has been beaten to death on these boards but I have no idea why you have two guys playing in foreign positions when they can just as easily play in their natural positions on the same line with zero negative consequences.

Especially young players. It's one thing to ask a veteran like Elias or Zubrus to play any position at a moments notice, much different to as a 19 year old rookie and a guy that's been a part of your team for three weeks.

Lokti's a natural center too, and not just a natural center, but exclusively one. LA tried him at wing and it was a disaster. Matteau is a natural center but given our problems at wing and our relative depth at center, his ability to play wing is being taken advantage of for the time being.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Loktionov is the definition of natural center. Nowhere near a liability again last night, plays very well in the defensive zone, great positioning and more physical than what the Kings fans said. Kid seems legit.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Loki has been fine and he's a center...and a better one at that, than matteau. Loki ain't the issue. Lou has needed to address parises departure for a while now and scrubs just aren't gonna cut it. Good luck finding something Lou...it's barren right now.

apice3*

i have no confidence in hedberg. Kinkaid is an unknown but he would give me some hope at least. Thankfully we're playing the 2nd coldest team in the NHL (3-7 last 10)

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
There are a lot of guys on this team that aren't winning the small battles consistently enough.

There are so many people to point fingers at in this regard but Gionta, Ponikarovsky, Zajac, and to a lesser extent Henrique simply aren't effective enough right now...

Gionta to me is a major issue. He is still buzzing around, but he is not winning the battles like he did last year and his play has neutered that line that has been so effective in the past. Zajac is a similar situation but with him the problem becomes magnified because any line he is on is expected produce significant offense.

I'm not sure what is going on but so many players look a step or two off. These players look distracted to me, I have no reason to say that but that's what it looks like to me.

Agree with the bolded part. Something is...off...with them mentally it seems. Maybe this is where we miss Parise's leadership...I don't know.

When so many players are underperforming, you have to wonder what is going on. Two seasons ago it was the coach and the captain. Not sure what the issue is right now, but I really hope it is temporary.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Don't worry guys...every team that loses to the Leafs go on a winning streak.

We beat MTL 6-0, they have now gotten a point in 10 straight games.
We beat OTT 3-0, they have a record of 5-1-1 since then.
We beat Buffalo 2-1, they are now 3-1 after winning like 2 games in 10 games.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Pete fell into the same trap of expecting Ponikarovsky to be a top-6 player. He's great along the boards, in his own zone, and has some skill in front of the net, but he has stone hands and average vision and an average shot and he's going to be a black hole on the top line. Get him the **** off that line.

apice3*

Don't worry guys...every team that loses to the Leafs go on a winning streak.

We beat MTL 6-0, they have now gotten a point in 10 straight games.
We beat OTT 3-0, they have a record of 5-1-1 since then.
We beat Buffalo 2-1, they are now 3-1 after winning like 2 games in 10 games.

"Oh crap we lost to Toronto? What the **** are we doing? Lets go"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad